PDA

View Full Version : Possible KW plan

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Maybe KW wants to pull a 2003 and do some more mid-season trades only if we're in contention. I wouldnt mind that but you never know when it's coming.

But honestly, if you go and look at the players we have and the players we could get cheaply, I dont see why we couldnt win a division title in this division.

Iwritecode
12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe KW wants to pull a 2003 and do some more mid-season trades only if we're in contention. I wouldnt mind that but you never know when it's coming.

But honestly, if you go and look at the players we have and the players we could get cheaply, I dont see why we couldnt win a division title in this division.

It's sad that the only saving grace for this team is the fact that they play in the weakest division in baseball. I don't even think they could win the NL central next year...

Stoky44
12-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I don't even think they could win the NL central next year...

No way would they win the NL Central. But maybe the AL EAST OR WEST.

jordan23ventura
12-09-2003, 11:05 PM
What is the point of the midseason moves if you won't resign any of the players you receive after the season is over? All you do is deplete your farm system even more for another two months or so of false hope.

If the money was spent and everybody from 2003 came back and JR went out and got a CF, No. 3 or 4 SP and an everyday SS with only dropping Valentin, Koch and/or Konerko, this team would be unstoppable.

Tragg
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
What is the point of the midseason moves if you won't resign any of the players you receive after the season is over? All you do is deplete your farm system even more for another two months or so of false hope.

If the money was spent and everybody from 2003 came back and JR went out and got a CF, No. 3 or 4 SP and an everyday SS with only dropping Valentin, Koch and/or Konerko, this team would be unstoppable.

To be fair, one of the purposes of a farm system is to use the players to acquire veteran talent (while keeping the special few for future major league service). Of course, it depends on keeping the farm well stocked.
Too often under prior regimes, the Sox have let hyped AA/AAA players rot on the vine - they never make the majors with the Sox and we don't dump them on anyone else. Most of these guys will never make a ML impact, so using them in an attempt to win a WS makes sense.

Thinking back to the White Flag trade, out of the 7 prospects, 3 started in the majors (1 for 1 year), 1 was a useful reliver for a while (what ever happened to Howry) one was an all star caliber player and 4 have done nothing to my knowledge