PDA

View Full Version : Matt Stairs a Royal

Jjav829
12-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Kenny, Kenny, where art thou?

Matt Stairs has signed a one year deal with Royals. So much for that idea. Then again, so much for any deal. I give up. I'll let Kenny surprise me.

Stairs signs with Royals (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=kc)

munchman33
12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Let them have him. :cool:

JRIG
12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Kenny, Kenny, where art thou?

Matt Stairs has signed a one year deal with Royals. So much for that idea. Then again, so much for any deal. I give up. I'll let Kenny surprise me.

Stairs signs with Royals (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=kc)

Damn. That's a great move by the Royals. Anybody see how much the contact is for? I would guess about a million.

Piece by piece, my plan for the Sox is falling apart...Steve Reed, Eduardo Perez...now Matt Stairs.

JoseCanseco6969
12-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Damn. That's a great move by the Royals. Anybody see how much the contact is for? I would guess about a million.

Piece by piece, my plan for the Sox is falling apart...Steve Reed, Eduardo Perez...now Matt Stairs.

Oh wow, Matt Stairs, former cub. Look out!
Can you say Kansas City Royals World Series Champions??

JRIG
12-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Oh wow, Matt Stairs, former cub. Look out!
Can you say Kansas City Royals World Series Champions??

Yes, obviously the Cubs have never had any good players on their team ever.

A lineup of Guiel, Berroa, Beltran, Sweeney, Stairs, Randa, Benito Santiago, Relaford, and a DH doesn't look so bad when you consider the top of our lineup now features Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand.

Tekijawa
12-09-2003, 02:16 PM
A lineup of Guiel, Berroa, Beltran, Sweeney, Stairs, Randa, Benito Santiago, Relaford, and a DH doesn't look so bad when you consider the top of our lineup now features Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand.

But their rotation won't include Danny Wright and Scott Schoenweiss! And good pitching always beats good hitting!

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 02:21 PM
You guys have obviously gone out of your minds if you think signing Matt Stairs is pushing the Royals over the edge of anything. Please, this is Matt Stairs for Christ's sake. The Royals signing a guy that the Brewers, Pirates, and every other terrible team in the league does't want fails to strike fear into my heart.

IT'S DECEMBER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. COULD YOU AT LEAST WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR TO FREAK OUT.

DirtySouthsider
12-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't understand where this love for Matt Stairs is coming from??? What does he really bring to your team except a little power?????

Baby Fisk
12-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I don't understand where this love for Matt Stairs is coming from??? What does he really bring to your team except a little power?????
I know, seriously. No one mentioned this guy until KC signed him. Maybe it's a case of "what is denied is desired."

Let's all watch KW work his mojo at the winter meetings and see what happens.

:KW
*gulp*

Foulke You
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Stairs plays outfield (poorly I might add) and first base. Why pray tell, would we want this thirty something year old one dimensional power hitting corner outfielder on a team loaded with power hitters already when our needs are starting pitching, middle relief, center field, and second base?

Also, Stairs is just the replacement for Raul Ibanez. If the Royals are lucky, they will get just under Ibanez's offensive production from Stairs (Stairs' RBI totals were considerably less even when you consider he played in 30 less games) and they will get inferior defense in the outfield unless they plan on DH-ing Stairs. I'm not saying it is a bad pickup for the Royals, I just think people here are over-reacting to this move. At best, it brings the Royals back the production they already lost when Ibanez left. If anything, it is a slight downgrade.

Raul Ibanez 2003
151Games .294AVG 18HR 90 RBI .345OBP .464SLG

Matt Stairs 2003
120Games .292AVG 20HR 52 RBI .355OBP .455SLG

FanOf14
12-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

I was wondering the same thing myself. He's average at best.

DrCrawdad
12-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I know, seriously. No one mentioned this guy until KC signed him. Maybe it's a case of "what is denied is desired."

Let's all watch KW work his mojo at the winter meetings and see what happens.

:KW
*gulp*

HERE! HERE!

I understand the anxiety as we hear of Colon and the stream of others leaving. I'm not going to get too worked up about Stairs going to the Royals.

Don't we have enough slow slugger first-base types already?

poorme
12-09-2003, 02:35 PM
People are frustrated that other teams are making moves and all we'll be left with is Armando Rios.

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 02:37 PM
People are frustrated that other teams are making moves and all we'll be left with is Armando Rios.

I must be retarded because I fail to see much of a difference between Armando and Stairs.

Remember, signing Armando and Daubach were the moves that everyone on this site proclaimed were going to "push us over the top".

JRIG
12-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

I've been talking about picking up Matt Stairs for months. He signed today for one year, $1 million with KC. Stairs mashes RHP:

2003: .304/.402/.582
2002: .249/.355/.494
2001: .257/.369/.479

Great. But what about LHP? Well, a perfect platoon partner was just signed by Tampa in Eduardo Perez for 2 years, $1.7 million.

2003: .353/.459/.667
2002: .271/..354/.643

So, for about $1.7 million you can do as good if not better than what Carlos Lee will give you. Trading (or non-tendering) Lee would open about $4-5 million in payroll, considering what he would get in arbitration. That comes right off the top in lowering payroll, or could have been used on re-signing Gordon or bringing in a starter.

This is how smart organizations are thinking. We are not a smart organization.

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 02:40 PM

I have now seen everything. The Royals and the Devil Rays are smart organizations? I think I need to kill myself now.

poorme
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I must be retarded because I fail to see much of a difference between Armando and Stairs.

Well, in the simplest explanation I can think of, Stairs has 36 homers in the past two years while Rios has 3.

DrCrawdad
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Armando Rios, my least favorite Sox '03 player, HE GONE! IIRC Rios was released soon after the season ended.

Another reason why I think the Sox were not interested in Stairs is that I believe the Sox have staked their claims on Ross Gload as their left-handed Stairs-like player for '04.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-09-2003, 02:44 PM
I'd love to have Matt Stairs...on my softball team!!!

Baby Fisk
12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
I've been talking about picking up Matt Stairs for months.

I stand corrected. One person mentioned Stairs.

Hard to argue there. Is it happy hour yet? :gulp:

DirtySouthsider
12-09-2003, 02:51 PM
These must be really desperate times for us Sox fans........we are actually arguing about MATT STAIRS!!!!

I am sooo confused??!? :?:

Foulke You
12-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Smart organizations don't dump off their best hitter from last year(Carlos Lee) to sign two seperate one-dimensional platoon partners for peanuts so they can meet crappy self imposed payroll restrictions. Smart organizations find ways to fill their holes and keep their best players like Carlos Lee. Please don't trot out the whole "we need to move two salaries to improve in 2004" and the "we don't have the luxury of teams like Boston and NY" responses as they have been done to death. We have plenty of other worthwhile things we can argue about other than a middle of the road pickup by our rivals in KC. I doubt KC fans would be falling over themselves with worry if it had been us that signed Stairs.

JRIG
12-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Smart organizations don't dump off their best hitter from last year(Carlos Lee) to sign two seperate one-dimensional platoon partners for peanuts so they can meet crappy self imposed payroll restrictions. Smart organizations find ways to fill their holes and keep their best players like Carlos Lee. Please don't trot out the whole "we need to move two salaries to improve in 2004" and the "we don't have the luxury of teams like Boston and NY" responses as they have been done to death. We have plenty of other worthwhile things we can argue about other than a middle of the road pickup by our rivals in KC. I doubt KC fans would be falling over themselves with worry if it had been us that signed Stairs.

Smart organizations wouldn't value Carlos Lee as the team's best hitter last year when Frank Thomas and Ordonez were both better and much of Lee's production came in the #2 slot, where everyone prospers because they have Frank hitting behind them.

MHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Stairs is some decent left-handed pop off the bench, but nothing more. He's not an everyday player and he's not going to carry the team. Good pickup though.

miker
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
We have plenty of other worthwhile things we can argue about other than a middle of the road pickup by our rivals in KC. I doubt KC fans would be falling over themselves with worry if it had been us that signed Stairs.

Maybe KC fans have much lower expectations?

Maybe JR wants us to have much lower expectations as well?

JRIG
12-09-2003, 03:37 PM
The Royals just added Scott Sullivan too.

But you're right, we shouldn't worry about other teams improving themselves while we stand still, missing out on potential players and hiring Ozzie Guillen as our manager.

thepaulbowski
12-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Well, in the simplest explanation I can think of, Stairs has 36 homers in the past two years while Rios has 3.

Who brought up Rios? He won't be in a Sox uniform next year.

washington
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
If all the Royals are going to add offensively is Matt Stairs KC is screwed. He's a 36yo one-dimensional first baseman who overachieved by hitting 20 HR with the Pirates this year.

serena
12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Not to mention that PNC favors left-handed hitters much more so than Kauffman.

poorme
12-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Who brought up Rios? He won't be in a Sox uniform next year.

I brought him up as an example of the kind of guys we usually have on our bench....worthless.

thepaulbowski
12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
I brought him up as an example of the kind of guys we usually have on our bench....worthless.

Tony G. was on our bench...granted he won't be next year. :(:

MHOUSE
12-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Tony G. was on our bench...granted he won't be next year. :(:

Did he end up signing with Tampa or is he just a free agent?

JRIG
12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by serena
Not to mention that PNC favors left-handed hitters much more so than Kauffman.

Next to Coors Field, Kaufman Stadium may be the best hitters park in the majors. Stairs will make the adjustment just fine.

JoseCanseco6969
12-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Next to Coors Field, Kaufman Stadium may be the best hitters park in the majors. Stairs will make the adjustment just fine.

Stairs, is that you??

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
the royals just added benito santiago and are close to getting raul mondesi. :(

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
the royals just added benito santiago and are close to getting raul mondesi.

Dear God no!!!! Give them the Central title now. :o:

jeremyb1
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
So, for about $1.7 million you can do as good if not better than what Carlos Lee will give you. Trading (or non-tendering) Lee would open about $4-5 million in payroll, considering what he would get in arbitration. That comes right off the top in lowering payroll, or could have been used on re-signing Gordon or bringing in a starter.

Beautiful post. Also, clearly if our organization has repeatedly proven itself not to be so bright when judging players' effectiveness, you have to wonder if there aren't some other GMs out there with the foundationless viewpoint that Carlos is our best hitter and an outstanding run producer on the verge of greatness (with 30 BB's a year ). You have to think we could get really good value for Carlos and then cheaply put better run producers in his place.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Stairs is some decent left-handed pop off the bench, but nothing more. He's not an everyday player and he's not going to carry the team. Good pickup though.

No, he's not going to carry the team. I love the reactions in this thread. It's like if they aren't signing Guerrero or Tejada, the move is worthless. No Matt Stairs isn't a great player. If you are looking for the Sox to go spend a ton of money of big time players to fill holes, forget about it. It's not happening. So we have to get cheap players who can plug holes. Stairs would have been one assuming we are going to trade Konerko, Maggs, or Lee. Hes a lefty with a little pop in his bat, who actually knows what the hell a walk is, unless most of our hitters. Stairs had 45 walks last year, in 357 plate appearances. You know where that would have ranked him on the team? 4th. With Frank, Maggs, and Valentin ahead of him. Valentin had 54 (9 more than Stairs)walks in 212 more plate appearances (569). Maggs had 57 walks (12 more than Stairs) in 317 more plate appearances (674). I won't even go into Frank because we know Frank takes a lot of walks.

Stairs signed for $1 million. Would you all rather take a chance with the 27 year old Gload who we have no clue what we are getting from? Assuming we trade Konerko, I don't see how a platoon with Stairs/righty 1B (Tony Clark, Eric Karros, whoever) could hurt if if meant we could save some money to spend of pitching. We could split time between Frank at 1B and the lefty/righty platoon.

And no difference between Armando Rios and Matt Stairs? Please tell me that was a joke.

Bobby Thigpen
12-10-2003, 01:12 PM
And no difference between Armando Rios and Matt Stairs? Please tell me that was a joke.

That was a semi-joke, but please tell me what the diffence between getting Stairs and us getting Daubach last year would be. They both supposedly give left handed pop, but for my money Daubach is actually better than Stairs. If you want someone like Stair so badly, why don't the Sox just resign Daubach?

Please tell me how you can hit 20 HRs and only have 50 some RBI. That doesn't sound like a great hitter to me. That sounds like a guy that swings for the fences whenever no one is on and then sucks when someone is on. If you hit almost 300 with 20 jacks you should probably have more than 50 ribbies. Besides he was in a contract year. You have to remember that no one wanted Stairs before or after. He certainly is not going to make a difference in this race. If he does then bravo to KC.

poorme
12-10-2003, 01:17 PM
57 RBI in 305 at bats translates to 103 RBI in 550 at bats.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Not to mention Stairs has adjusted to platoon/pinch hitter status very nicely while Daubach was horrible when he was not getting regular at bats.

To paraphrase a post of mine in another thread, if this season is going to be spent arguing about Daubach v. Stairs we are going to be in trouble.

bullsn2007
12-10-2003, 02:48 PM
stairs probably wont hit 20 homers next year. He isn't even gonna be the replacement for Ibanez's bat. He is just going to platoon with Ken Harvey(hits .333 against lefties) at DH/1B.

And the Royals moved their fences back so Stairs' numbers might be down. The Royals will probably sign a corner outfielder with decent speed since the outfield will have more ground to cover.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
That was a semi-joke, but please tell me what the diffence between getting Stairs and us getting Daubach last year would be. They both supposedly give left handed pop, but for my money Daubach is actually better than Stairs. If you want someone like Stair so badly, why don't the Sox just resign Daubach?

Please tell me how you can hit 20 HRs and only have 50 some RBI. That doesn't sound like a great hitter to me. That sounds like a guy that swings for the fences whenever no one is on and then sucks when someone is on. If you hit almost 300 with 20 jacks you should probably have more than 50 ribbies. Besides he was in a contract year. You have to remember that no one wanted Stairs before or after. He certainly is not going to make a difference in this race. If he does then bravo to KC.

There isn't a big difference between Daubach and Stairs. As 34 inch stick pointed out, Stairs has adjusted to being in a platoon situation. I'm not so sure Daubach can. Maybe he can and would perform just as well as Stairs. I don't know.

How can you hit 20 HRs and have 50 RBI? There was an example on the Sox last year. Frank Thomas. 42 HRs 105 RBI. Doing the math, it amounts out to the same thing if he kept up that pace. Stairs hit .279 with a .351 OBP and slugged .571 with none on. .305 with a .425 OBP and slugged .550 with runners on. No Matt Stairs isn't going to single handedly win them the division. They can't afford to sign a guy who will, and neither can we. The difference is they are plugging at the positions they are weak at. They needed a bullpen arm, they signed Sullivan. They needed a catcher, they signed Santiago. They needed a lefty to platoon with Ken Harvey who hits lefties a hell of a lot better than he hits righties, they signed Stairs. None of these guys is going to be the sole difference for them. But when you add them together and get the sum of the parts, you find that they have so far done a good job plugging holes. Does that mean they will win the division? Not necessarily. But with the small payroll they have, they are doing the best they can to field a good team.

believenroyals
12-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Royals fan here, Stairs will be used as a DH vs right handers, and Harvey vs left handers. Is Stairs an all star, no, but he is a good pickup for the club.