PDA

View Full Version : Williams History at Winter Meetings

BeerHandle
12-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Thereís a chance the White Sox wonít make any moves during the weekend in New Orleans. In Williamsí three previous years as the teamís general manager, he pulled off one trade during these baseball get togethers.

I remain positive in the fact that I believe Williams will make some moves during the winter meetings (Dec 12-15). If he does not, I believe he will lay down some major ground work to get some deals done shortly there after.

I believe the 2004 Sox will be without Kornerko, Koch and possibly Maggs.

pudge
12-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

I believe the 2004 Sox will be without Kornerko, Koch and possibly Maggs.

If we shed Konerko and Koch, I doubt we'll also trade Maggs, only because of the PR.

BeerHandle
12-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Koch and Kornerko aren't much of positive PR. Both had awful 2003 campaigns and are over-paid. The only thing Kornerko does positively is hang out at the Neutral Zone in Westmont during the season.

I still think the Sox would move Maggs if they can since he is in the last year of his contract. It is better to move him and get something in return.

DSpivack
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
I guess it is too much to ask to keep our only big star.

Then aren't we kinda like the Expos?

With two exceptions, of course:
-we're not owned by MLB
-we're in one of the top 3 [not bottom 3] markets

Vlad is better than Maggs, but then again the Expos do have a much better scouting/ developing dept. than we do.

Daver
12-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
but then again the Expos do have a much better scouting/ developing dept. than we do.

No they don't.

They all went to Florida with Jeffrey Loria,those that did not resign in utter contempt that is.

DSpivack
12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Daver
No they don't.

They all went to Florida with Jeffrey Loria,those that did not resign in utter contempt that is.

They did, anyway.

chisoxt
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Thereís a chance the White Sox wonít make any moves during the weekend in New Orleans. In Williamsí three previous years as the teamís general manager, he pulled off one trade during these baseball get togethers.

I remain positive in the fact that I believe Williams will make some moves during the winter meetings (Dec 12-15). If he does not, I believe he will lay down some major ground work to get some deals done shortly there after.

Frankly, I hope that KW does NOT make any trades at the winter meetings. I think that during the meetings, there is a lot of pressure to 'pull off deals' and that usually gets the better of impatient GMs such as ours. If I remember correctly, the Wells, Fogg, ritchie trade was executed at the winter meetings.

Brian26
12-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The only thing Kornerko does positively is hang out at the Neutral Zone in Westmont during the season.

LOL! Beer, is this true? I used to drive by that dump all the time. Actually knew a chick who waitressed there. Have you seen PK there on a regular basis?

StillMissOzzie
12-09-2003, 09:27 PM

-we're not owned by MLB

Yeah, the Sox have only one horse's ass for an owner instead of 30!

SMO
:gulp:

jeremyb1
12-09-2003, 09:37 PM
I guess it is too much to ask to keep our only big star.

-we're not owned by MLB
-we're in one of the top 3 [not bottom 3] markets

Vlad is better than Maggs, but then again the Expos do have a much better scouting/ developing dept. than we do.

Our payroll is 13 million dollars higher.

Tragg
12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Frankly, I hope that KW does NOT make any trades at the winter meetings. I think that during the meetings, there is a lot of pressure to 'pull off deals' and that usually gets the better of impatient GMs such as ours. If I remember correctly, the Wells, Fogg, ritchie trade was executed at the winter meetings.

Yes they were

Boy the Winter meetings used to be great through the 1970s - damn near EVERY team pulled off at least one trade.

duke of dorwood
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
To be honest, our most marketable commodities are Carlos Lee and Marte.

No one wants anyone else-I dont even think Buehrle's stock is that high right now.

Unless we trade the 2 mentioned above, we will not get value for guys like Koch and Konerko.Someone else will have to be sacrificed to get rid of either of them.

DSpivack
12-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Our payroll is 13 million dollars higher.

Yes, but last year the Sox were 86-76, while the 'Spos were 83-79.

Though I doubt they'll reach that in 2004 without Vlad and Vazquez.

Cubsfan
12-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt

That was the deal I shook my head and said ouch.

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
LOL! Beer, is this true? I used to drive by that dump all the time. Actually knew a chick who waitressed there. Have you seen PK there on a regular basis?

I believe he is engaged or dating one of the wait staff. On a young Sox team, Buehrle, Biddle and Kornerko all used to hang out there. After PK is traded and Buehrle goes to St. Louis none of them will be hanging out there!

Some of my buddies were at the Neutral Zone after opening day (2003) and Buehrle and PK were in there. I guess the owner is a huge Sox fan!