PDA

View Full Version : Tim Worrell signs with the Phillies

Jjav829
12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Tim Worrell signed with the Phillies today reportedly for $6 million over 2 years. A nice addition for the Phillies as they continue to overhaul their bullpen. I would have liked to see the Sox make a run at Worrell for either a setup/closers role. Other teams continue to strengthen themselves while the Sox stand pat hoping that good players will magically fall into their hands.

But hey, we've got Matt Ginter to save our bullpen! Really, who isn't excited by the idea of Matt Ginter coming in in a crucial situation in the 7th trying to hold a Sox one run lead!

:(:

Worrell a Phillie (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1682133)

kittle42
12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jjav829
[B]

But hey, we've got Matt Ginter to save our bullpen! Really, who isn't excited by the idea of Matt Ginter coming in in a crucial situation in the 7th trying to hold a Sox one run lead!

Who says there are no optimistic Sox fans? Jjav thinks we'll actually have a one-run lead at some point!

JRIG
12-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I will submit that the difference between Worrell and Ginter is not as big as you would think. Ginter has been putting up very good numbers at AAA and deserves a chance. And let's not forget Worrell was basically a capable journeyman before given a chance to post the all-important "save" numbers last year with Nen hurt. Working under payroll limitations, if you give me the option of Ginter at $300,000 or Worrell at $3 million, I'm gonna go with Ginter.

joecrede
12-09-2003, 02:55 PM
The Phillies have quite a bit of money tied up in its roster after '04. They better like their group because it isn't going to change much in the near future.

RichH55
12-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I will submit that the difference between Worrell and Ginter is not as big as you would think. Ginter has been putting up very good numbers at AAA and deserves a chance. And let's not forget Worrell was basically a capable journeyman before given a chance to post the all-important "save" numbers last year with Nen hurt. Working under payroll limitations, if you give me the option of Ginter at $300,000 or Worrell at $3 million, I'm gonna go with Ginter.

I'm entirely with you on this one

Lip Man 1
12-09-2003, 08:40 PM
JRIG says:

If you give me the option of Ginter at $300,000 or Worrell at $3 million, I'm gonna go with Ginter.

and you'll get the same results that Scott Ruffcorn or Aaron Myette posted.

Lip

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by JRIG

I can understand giving Ginter a chance. Don't mistake my sarcasm for a dislike of Matt Ginter. I do think that he could be a good bullpen pitcher if given the chance. However, he should be given a chance as the 5th or 6th guy out there. If he ever starts to show that he is deserving of pitching in crucial, late game situations then he can be used more. However, if this team is going to compete a reliable setup man has to be added. Tim Worrell has been pretty reliable the past 4 years. Certainly more reliable than Matt Ginter has been in his time with the big club. I know the Sox can't afford to add many high priced relievers (or players for that matter) but I think if they are serious about contending this year, and do plan on trying to trade Koch, then an established reliever has to be added.