PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye to Guardado

Jjav829
12-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Well I guess we never really said hello, but say goodbye anyways. He's going to be a Mariner. So, the guy wanted to close, but now hes going to Seattle to be a setup man? Unless he knows something more about Sasaki going back to Japan, it's a weird move. He wouldn't sign with the Red Sox because he wanted to be guaranteed a closers job. And we supposedly offered him a deal worth $1 million more with a closers job but he chose to go to Seattle? He must really want to be on the west coast.

Link (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/151676_mari09.html)

Brian26
12-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Well, we don't improve by getting him, but the Twins at least get weaker by losing him. We may win this division by default.

Deadguy
12-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Well, we don't improve by getting him, but the Twins at least get weaker by losing him. We may win this division by default.

The White Sox will end up the tallest midget in this pathetic division. 83 wins may do it.

munchman33
12-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
The White Sox will end up the tallest midget in this pathetic division. 83 wins may do it.

Are you kidding....73 may do it!

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Wow, what do the Twinks have left in the pen? With Hawkins and everday Eddie gone their pen is a disaster. 83 wins may actually win the division next year. :o:

jabrch
12-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Is Guardado a done deal? As I understand it, there is still some question. But I'd love to see him go. If the Twins come back next year with JC Romero as their best RP, they are in trouble - certainly with that pitching staff.

Foulke You
12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Is Guardado a done deal? As I understand it, there is still some question. But I'd love to see him go. If the Twins come back next year with JC Romero as their best RP, they are in trouble - certainly with that pitching staff.

For sure Minny is in even bigger trouble than the Sox it seems. As weak as our bullpen is right now, at least will still have Damaso Marte and the possibility of Billy Koch returning to form. Minnesota has a black hole to fill where Hawkins and Guardado once were. You don't replace two arms like that very easily. They also lost Milton in their rotation, and AJ behind the dish. KC could realistically be the team we have to worry about most next year in our division barring any moves by the Twins. I think 85-87 wins may be the magic number for the Sox next year.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Joe Nathan will close for the Twins.

It would be very funny (and embarassing for baseball) if the divisional winner next year had a losing record.

It has happened once and almost a seond time.

In 94 at the time of the labor impasse on August 11, Texas was in first place in the A.L. West with a record ten games UNDER .500.

In 73 the Mets won the division (in Chicago) with 83 wins. They upset the Reds in the NLCS and took Oakland to seven games before losing the series. Of course they had Seaver and Koosman as their pitching anchors.

Lip

Jerko
12-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Could happen in basketball this year. Sixers are 11-10 AND a game and a half in first. Sad

joecrede
12-09-2003, 01:01 PM
19 games vs. divisional opponents make it extremely unlikely that a division winner, particularly one in the same division as the Tigers, will finish with a sub-.500 record.

duke of dorwood
12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
The reputation of the shananigans of the Reinsdorf regime appears to be spreading. Players taking less $ to stay away from this soap opera

MHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Guardado with the Mariners is offical per ESPN 1000.

chosk8
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
yep...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/12/09/bc.bba.mariners.guardado.ap/index.html

MHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1682314)

Signed for next season with options for 05 and 06.

It goes on to say that he will set-up Sasaki. I assume they want more reliable cover for another injury to Sasaki. Having a duo of Guardado and Shiggy for the 7th/8th innings before Sasaki is a very good end of the bullpen. Benitez, Nelson, Rhodes still available Kenny!

Rocky Soprano
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Woud of liked to seen him wearing a Sox uniform but I am still happy that the Twins lost a good pitcher!

SoxOnTop
12-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Woud of liked to seen him wearing a Sox uniform but I am still happy that the Twins lost a good pitcher!

I really have a hard time believing that we made a serious offer to Guardado. Why would we scrimp on Alomar and not give him a 2 year deal while throwing money at a closer when we supposedly don't have any room in the payroll. It just doesn't make sense. There are too many conflicting rumors to understand what is really going down.

It is good to see him out of the division, though.