PDA

View Full Version : Sox offseason firesale!

joeynach
12-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Is exactly what is happening. The sox are having their own version of what the reds and pirates did midseason. Making no commitment to resign any free agents and making efforts to trade away our signature players becuase they make a lot of money. What did the reds and pirates do um lose 95 and 100 games. This is getting out of hand. Especially if we let our FA's go to our division rivals or crosstown rival.

gosox3072
12-09-2003, 03:02 AM
How have we traded away our signiture players?

Chisox_cali
12-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
How have we traded away our signiture players?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

kempsted
12-09-2003, 09:12 AM
I hate to rain on everyone's Sky is falling parade but did anyone notice that ALMOST ALL ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE FREE AGENTS WERE NOT OFFERED ARBITRATION. Go down the list. If it is a fire sale everyone is involved including the Braves for example.

No what is happening is the salaries have been dropping so most people are not worth what they are currently making so teams are letting them go. They will then sign for less with another team (at least that is a real possibility).

Also once again very few teams have made positive moves and very few teams will until the Winter meetings and some teams will wait until after. Williams had done nothing by this time last year either.

It is possible that KW will do nothing and we are in for a long season but so far I don't see it.

Of the players we lost I think we should have offered arbitration to Suillivan since pitchers still seem to be getting paid money (see a very poor reliever Littenberg being signed by the Blue Jays for 4.5 million). Otherwise oh well.

jabrch
12-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Is exactly what is happening. The sox are having their own version of what the reds and pirates did midseason. Making no commitment to resign any free agents and making efforts to trade away our signature players becuase they make a lot of money. What did the reds and pirates do um lose 95 and 100 games. This is getting out of hand. Especially if we let our FA's go to our division rivals or crosstown rival.

Of the FAs who were not offered arbitration, can you tell me how many of them are irreplaceable by other similar FAs that other teams didn't offer arbitration to? Name one of those guys who was a lynchpin to the team that we did not TRY to resign. We tried to resign Gordon - but he was not interested in less than 4mm. We tried to resign Colon - and made a very fair offer - but Anaheim broke the bank for him. Can't blame Kenny for that.

Let's let this whole thing play out before we make a judgement. Right now, we have lost less than Minnesota.

SSN721
12-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I still have faith in KW, I think that all the players who are leaving that we tried keeping were given more than fair offers and we still havent seen what tricks Kenny has up his sleeve. I will start worrying if nothing happens a month after winter meetings, then I might consider this becoming a forfeit on 2004 :cool:

E Coast Sox Fan
12-09-2003, 10:18 AM
I agree with Kempsted. For the first time in recent memory, Free Agents are more of a bargain than the current players on most major league rosters :?: . By not re-signing/entering arbitration with some of our free agents, KW has freed himself up to look at a lot of other players to fill in the roster. I think KW will sign other players out there who give us a better chance to win a championship than those who were on the team last season.

As far as I'm concerned, cash is king and KW has created some walking around money -- so we're potentially in a good spot. I love Colon and thought he was great last year, but I'm not sure it would have been a smart move to sign him up 4 year/$48 contract. KW was as generous as the situation merited. Additionally, I love Thomas and Konerko, but wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two of them get traded.

Based on what I've read, I think KW and the Sox ownership is committed to winning this upcoming season. Just because the team may look different doesn't mean it won't be better :D: .

MisterB
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
Based on what I've read, I think KW and the Sox ownership is committed to winning this upcoming season.

KW may be committed to winning, but Sox ownership has clearly made keeping costs down it's #1 priority.

joeynach
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
I agree with Kempsted. For the first time in recent memory, Free Agents are more of a bargain than the current players on most major league rosters :?: . By not re-signing/entering arbitration with some of our free agents, KW has freed himself up to look at a lot of other players to fill in the roster. I think KW will sign other players out there who give us a better chance to win a championship than those who were on the team last season.:D: .

How is that at all possible. KW has 48 mil of his 58 mil budget guranteed to 8 players. That leaves 17 players to be signed with 10 mil to do it. With guys like graffinino being offered 2.5 mil per by other teams that means we can sign 4 graff talent level players and then we are done. We have no resources to sign anyone period. And if we trade knorko, lee, or maggs it will be a downgrade to the team, becuase the people that will replace them will be less talented. We have nothing.

StepsInSC
12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Still a lot of offseason left, be patient.

And its not like other Central teams are piling on payroll, its looking like its gonna still be a close race for the spot for the worst team in the playoffs.

washington
12-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
KW may be committed to winning, but Sox ownership has clearly made keeping costs down it's #1 priority.

Exactly, every single move (or non-move) this off-season has been dictated by salary considerations and not whether the players who are leaving will help the team. Reinsdorf is keeping investor profits his main goal, far ahead of fielding a team that can win

TheRockinMT
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
It is possible that plan 500 of the KW/JR master plan is to finish dead last and get the first round pick in the draft next season.

Tekijawa
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
It is possible that plan 500 of the KW/JR master plan is to finish dead last and get the first round pick in the draft next season.

Actually an NL team will get it next year, AL this year, so even with that plan we're already to "plan B"