PDA

View Full Version : Guardado offered contract?

ukigdog
12-08-2003, 06:42 PM
I read this article from the twins local newspaper. I like this and hope we get him...

http://24hour.startribune.com/login/?goto=http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4253196.html

if you need to login, use bselig as both username and password

nodiggity59
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
From the article:

"A baseball source reports the Chicago White Sox are offering a three-year contract to Twins closer Eddie Guardado for $15 million, while the Twins are offering a two-year deal for $8 million with a $4 million option for a third year."

Heck yeah I love this. Weakens the Twins and hopefully Guardado isn't overworked like Koch.

In a perfect world we'd send the trifecta of Marte-Koch-Guardado into our bullpen next year but instead we'll probably trade Koch if this goes down. I can't believe we'd actually save money with Guardado over Koch.

siugrad25
12-08-2003, 06:52 PM
IMO, Eddie Guardado would be a great addition for $5 million per season for three years. I mean with Marte and then Guardado to finish the game off, that's a nice one-two punch. Maybe KW has some tricks up his sleeve after all.

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
IMO, Eddie Guardado would be a great addition for $5 million per season for three years. I mean with Marte and then Guardado to finish the game off, that's a nice one-two punch. Maybe KW has some tricks up his sleeve after all.

I like this move. Hopefully they then can move Koch for needs, prospects or even a bag of baseballs, just to save payroll.

Soxfest
12-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Is EG that much better than Marte given the closer job , I do not think so.

ukigdog
12-08-2003, 07:05 PM
sorry bud, didnt mean to repost that. i didnt realize you posted htis. I was just reading their paper, as i do the la times and any other papers from rumors with the sox.

Jjav829
12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ukigdog
sorry bud, didnt mean to repost that. i didnt realize you posted htis. I was just reading their paper, as i do the la times and any other papers from rumors with the sox.

Heh, np. I actually deleted my post because I realized your link was different. :D:

Damn, your quick though. I deleted it like 15 seconds after I posted it.

ukigdog
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
its pretty funny, cause my friend told me the bud selig thing earlier today said he read it on the message boards, cause i was telling him how i go to other teams papers and sources to see what they say on rumors. i bet my friend got the bselig thing from you post lol

WillieHarris12
12-08-2003, 07:14 PM
BRING IN EDDIE!

joecrede
12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Count me as a Guardado detractor. There are better ways to spend $15M.

duke of dorwood
12-08-2003, 08:14 PM
I agree-he pitches to a lot of batters and had a prime defensive team behind him. I DO NOT like the move

poorme
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I'd rather use the money to overpay for Ponson.

lowesox
12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
I'd rather have Ponson than Guardado too, but lets face it guys we're going to need a good reliever and a good starter. Guardado (Foulke aside) is probably one of the best guys out there.

If we could sign Guardado, Ponson and say Lightenberg our staff would be in good shape. And, I'm not a salary expert, but if we could unload Koch this would be a little less from what we were paying last year for Colon, Gordon, Sullivan and Koch.

nodiggity59
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'd rather have Ponson than Guardado too, but lets face it guys we're going to need a good reliever and a good starter. Guardado (Foulke aside) is probably one of the best guys out there.

If we could sign Guardado, Ponson and say Lightenberg our staff would be in good shape. And, I'm not a salary expert, but if we could unload Koch this would be a little less from what we were paying last year for Colon, Gordon, Sullivan and Koch.

Took the words out of my mouth. Lightenberg is supposedly close to signing with the Jays but he's the least important of the three. A solid middle reliever for under 2mil will do. I still feel the Sox would need another SP but that would probably have to come froma trade.

MRKARNO
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
[B]but lets face it guys we're going to need a good reliever and a good starter. B]

We dont need that Because Marte is a proven big-game closer and Loazia is consistantly amazing on a year to year basis

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I'd feel much better if we were offering Guardado $5 million over 3 seasons if we had a number 4 and 5 starter.

This friggin' Organization is doing everything bass ackwards.

akingamongstmen
12-08-2003, 11:53 PM
I like this for several reasons:

1) With Guardado and Hawkins gone, the Twins are looking awfully weak.
2) He is a very good closer (not $15 million good, but still very good).
3) This will take pressure off of Marte to pitch all of the time in tight situations. He's still very young, and may not be ready to close on a full-time basis yet.

Of course, I think that the Sox really need to turn their attention now to shoring up a potentially disasterous starting rotation (what if Buerhle continues to regress and ELo returns to his usuual form???). Still, here's to hoping that this deal happens...

jordan23ventura
12-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Is EG that much better than Marte given the closer job , I do not think so.

Yeah but Damaso can't pitch every 9th inning with a two-run differential. It looks as if the 2004 team really will be all about "small ball" and the only way that works is with at least two lights out guys in the pen.

MisterB
12-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
He's still very young, and may not be ready to close on a full-time basis yet.

Marte turns 29 before next season. Getting Guardado at that price is ridiculous unless Koch is dealt. Why pay $11M+ for what would functionally be a closer and one of two setup men?

nodiggity59
12-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Marte turns 29 before next season. Getting Guardado at that price is ridiculous unless Koch is dealt. Why pay $11M+ for what would functionally be a closer and one of two setup men?

Why do the Yankees have Rivera, Gordon, and Quantrill? I agree under our budget constraints but in terms of plain baseball its good to have Guardado and Marte and a rejuvenated Koch.