PDA

View Full Version : Colon to Anaheim probably

Huisj
12-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1681587)

4 year, $48 million

dang

JRIG
12-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1681587)

4 year, $48 million

dang

Well, at least we get draft picks. I'll still say that's too much money for him anyway.

hold2dibber
12-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Not a big surprise, but disappointing nonetheless. If/when Colon goes, the Sox will be in desparate need of two more starters. I guess Ponson is probably the best fit for the top of the rotation (I find Maddux and Milwood somewhat intriguing, but I think they'll be looking for more $ than they're worth, their agent is Boras, and they've never pitched in the AL). I would like to see a deal for a back of the rotation starter, or perhaps signing someone cheap but half-decent, like Suppan, Burkett or Alvarez. Of course, to do any of the above, they would, presumably, have to deal Koch, Konerko, Lee, Thomas or Maggs. Sigh.

gogosoxgogo
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
SportsCenter just reported that the deal is basically done pending Colon passing a physical.

I'm really not that disapointed. Regardless of how many CG he throws, he's not worth 10 mil. At least we'll have 3 first-rounders this year.

jabrch
12-08-2003, 06:31 PM
The story I read Colon (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news) says that if they get Colon, Washburn or Ortiz might be available. I'd consider either of those guys as back of the rotation guys if the price was right.

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Position players are not seeing the FA market they thought they would, but it sure looks like everyone is still willing to spend (overspend?) on pitching.

Looks like we're stuck with 2nd tier FA's / rehab projects - again.

SMO
:angry:

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
The story I read Colon (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news) says that if they get Colon, Washburn or Ortiz might be available. I'd consider either of those guys as back of the rotation guys if the price was right.

Yes, but on the other hand, if the Angels are going to pursue Nomar, pending the A-Rod / Rodriguez deal, the BoSox are said to be looking for pitching in return...

SMO

Foulke You
12-08-2003, 06:39 PM
The White Sox/Twins are the anti Red Sox/Yankees. While the Red Sox and Yankees go tit for tat by adding, signing, and trading good players...the Sox and Twins are going mano a mano in the subtracting good players battle.

White Sox Lose-
Bartolo Colon
Robbie Alomar
Tom Gordon

White Sox Likely to Lose-
Carl Everett
Tony Graffanino
Scott Sullivan

Twins Lose-
Eric Milton
Latroy Hawkins
AJ Pierszinski

Twins Likely to Lose-
Eddie Guardado

It's quite a battle raging in the AL Central!! Who is going to lose the most good players? Tune in next week for an update!!

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Colon is not worth $12 million per year for four years. $12 million per year for two years, maybe, or three years at $10 million per year, but NOT what Anaheim reportedly is offering.

They need to push the Dodgers on the Konerko for Perez deal. I'm not opposed to simply throwing in Valentin if that helps get the deal done. That helps the starting rotation.

StockdaleForVeep
12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
maybe we can make colon fail his physical on a count hes such a barrel arse? Lets start shippin pizza and mexican food to his home and get him loaded

faneidde
12-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Yes, but on the other hand, if the Angels are going to pursue Nomar, pending the A-Rod / Rodriguez deal, the BoSox are said to be looking for pitching in return...

SMO

Exactly what team would put Washburn at the back of their rotation, the Yankees. He'd be a very solid #3 for us if we could get him. I'm glad the Sox didn't do something stupid and pay Colon 12 mil over 4 years.

ondafarm
12-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Maybe the Sox could get a pitching machine or something like that to soak up the innings. Probably would do as well as much of the staff.

Meanwhile, I'm not surprised that Colon would leave. KW insulted him big time with his offer of almost entirely defferred money.

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
Maybe the Sox could get a pitching machine or something like that to soak up the innings. Probably would do as well as much of the staff.

Meanwhile, I'm not surprised that Colon would leave. KW insulted him big time with his offer of almost entirely defferred money.

I don't think there is anyone available that can soak up the innings like Bartolo could.

I'm no fan of KW, but I'm of the opinion that it was JR who did the insulting.

Lastly, who's shocked by this news? I'm just glad my suspicions all along from 09/28 are about to be confirmed.

I'm resigned to the fact that '04's rotation will probably look like..... 1.) Loaiza, 2.) Buehrle, 3.) Garland, 4.) Danny Wrong/Jon Rauch/Neal Cotts, and 5.) Schoenweiss.

hose
12-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Well, at least we get draft picks. I'll still say that's too much money for him anyway.

Anaheim has the 12th pick in the draft. The Sox will get that pick if the Angels sign Colon.

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by JRIG

Besides Buehrle, our drafting of pitchers has been less than stellar. Scott Ruffcorn and Tanyon Sturtze anyone? And the ones that have shown promise, the Orgaization has seen fit to make sure everyone of them blows out their labrums.

I hope you understand if I'm not exactly thrilled.

soxtalker
12-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Besides Buehrle, our drafting of pitchers has been less than stellar. Scott Ruffcorn and Tanyon Sturtze anyone? And the ones that have shown promise, the Orgaization has seen fit to make sure everyone of them blows out their labrums.

I hope you understand if I'm not exactly thrilled.

Has there been any change in our drafting process since KW became GM?

Jjav829
12-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by hose
Anaheim has the 12th pick in the draft. The Sox will get that pick if the Angels sign Colon.

Actually, the Sox won't. Because the pick is in the first half of the round, the Sox would then receive the Angels second pick as well as a sandwich pick.

DumpJerry
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
In the movie "The Untouchables," there is a scene where Al Capone expresses his feelings to his henchmen about Elliot Ness by proclaiming "I want him dead! I want him dragged into the street and DEAD!" Well, given how the White Sox have performed in the free-agent market this year, I WANT JERRY DEAD! Figuratively, of course. I would rather love to find a way to force him out of owning the White Sox so he can then watch 40,000+ fans show up each day to cheer the demise of the Little Tyrant. One this is for certain....no playoffs for the Sox in 2004
To make it worse, we'll have to put up with Cubs' fans to a degree that will make last year feel like paradise......grrrrrrrrrrrr :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SluggersAway
12-08-2003, 11:14 PM
The guy is 30 years old, he is not worth 10 million a year. I cringe at the thought of his performance in 4 years. It is money best spent elsewhere. Sure, he eats a lot of innings, but that can be replaced without spending $36 million.

So, what are our options now?

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, and our pen will not cut it.

jordan23ventura
12-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
The guy is 30 years old, he is not worth 10 million a year. I cringe at the thought of his performance in 4 years. It is money best spent elsewhere. Sure, he eats a lot of innings, but that can be replaced without spending $36 million.

So, what are our options now?

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, and our pen will not cut it.

I agree. Colon is not worth the money at all. 12mil per year is insane for this budget. It will be interesting to see just how many "surprises" there will be next year. Hopefully we get one.

Frank the Tank
12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
I hope KW is willing to spend the $12MM on other pitchers. I think he would be able to sign Ponson and trade for Freddy Garcia for around $12-$15 MM. I wouldn't mind seeing this pitching staff:

Loiaza
Buehrle
Garcia
Ponson
Garland

JJAustin69
12-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Going 0-6 on our own free agents resigning is a disgrace. Colon and Alomar should still be here but "somehow" the Sox management didn't get it done.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey now don't forget Brian Keyser and Rodney Bolton!!!!!

LOL

The problem folks is that while many of you are saying it's overpaying for (fill in the blank) some other GM on another team doesn't share the same opinion.

That means the Sox are consistently behind the eight ball.

There's an old saying 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do..." If 25 or so other teams are going about this differently then the Sox and having more success (if you count going to the World Series as the measure of success) then perhaps the Sox need to start going along with the crowd instead of trying to win their way.

It just doesn't seem to be working very well.

Lip

kempsted
12-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The White Sox/Twins are the anti Red Sox/Yankees. While the Red Sox and Yankees go tit for tat by adding, signing, and trading good players...the Sox and Twins are going mano a mano in the subtracting good players battle.

White Sox Lose-
Bartolo Colon
Robbie Alomar
Tom Gordon

White Sox Likely to Lose-
Carl Everett
Tony Graffanino
Scott Sullivan

Twins Lose-
Eric Milton
Latroy Hawkins
AJ Pierszinski

Twins Likely to Lose-
Eddie Guardado

It's quite a battle raging in the AL Central!! Who is going to lose the most good players? Tune in next week for an update!!

Just to make the corrections.
White Sox Lost
Carl Everett
Tony Graffanino
Scott Sullivan
Robbie Alomar

Sox Likely to Lose
Bartolo Colon
Gordon.

The top list were all not offered arbitration so we can't even talk to them again until May - one month into the season. So they are for sure gone. Colon and Gordon have both been offered arbitration so we can still keep talking with them until they sign with someone else in which case we at least get draft picks.

anewman35
12-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by DumpJerry
One this is for certain....no playoffs for the Sox in 2004

We aren't competing with the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Cubs. No matter how bad the division is, somebody from the AL Central WILL make the playoffs. Compare our team to the others in the AL Central - does it really look so bad anymore?

wood28
12-09-2003, 10:05 AM
LA Times Reporting Colon signed w/ Angels.

LA times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels9dec09,1,2889308.story?coll=la-headlines-sports)

Hangar18
12-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I hope KW is willing to spend the $12MM on other pitchers. I think he would be able to sign Ponson and trade for Freddy Garcia for around $12-$15 MM. I wouldn't mind seeing this pitching staff:

Loiaza
Buehrle
Garcia
Ponson
Garland

This Staff is ASSUMING the SOX go out and SPEND FOR OTHER PITCHERS. However, seeing what theyve done the past few weeks (letting other teams Have Dinner first, Then Waiting in the Alley to see what gets thrown out in the Dumpster)
I see this team doing Nothing, per usual, and 2004 being a very very Miserable season

anewman35
12-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This Staff is ASSUMING the SOX go out and SPEND FOR OTHER PITCHERS. However, seeing what theyve done the past few weeks (letting other teams Have Dinner first, Then Waiting in the Alley to see what gets thrown out in the Dumpster)
I see this team doing Nothing, per usual, and 2004 being a very very Miserable season

If it's always so miserable, why do you even care? Anyway, what do you expect the Sox to do? If you were the GM, knowing you had a budget, what pitcher would you have signed that Kenny didn't?

Hangar18
12-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
We aren't competing with the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Cubs. No matter how bad the division is, somebody from the AL Central WILL make the playoffs. Compare our team to the others in the AL Central - does it really look so bad anymore?

Its THIS KIND OF SHORTSIGHTED, NARROW THINKING that has Kept the WHITE SOX from Not appearing in any World Series since 1959. Its not a slam on you anewman, but The Sox Continue to think "hey, as long as we can beat the Twins".
What Happens when you make the Playoffs? The way to run your team is to MATCH UP AGAINST THE BEST IN YOUR LEAGUE,
Position for Position, Hitter for Hitter, bullpen for bullpen,
Starting Staff agains Starting Staff, Bench vs. Bench.
Im So Sickened of this Organization right now .....

anewman35
12-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Its THIS KIND OF SHORTSIGHTED, NARROW THINKING that has Kept the WHITE SOX from Not appearing in any World Series since 1959. Its not a slam on you anewman, but The Sox Continue to think "hey, as long as we can beat the Twins".
What Happens when you make the Playoffs? The way to run your team is to MATCH UP AGAINST THE BEST IN YOUR LEAGUE,

Why should the Sox spend $200 million to compete with the Yankees if they aren't in competition for the same spot? Do you think Boston would spend so much if they were in the Central? I don't think it's realistic to try to build a team for the playoffs - you have to get to the playoffs first. Ideally, once you're in July or August and think you have a shot, you'll reconfigure your team then. Once you make the playoffs, it's total chance, all about who's hot and who has a good game.

Hangar18
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
If it's always so miserable, why do you even care? Anyway, what do you expect the Sox to do? If you were the GM, knowing you had a budget, what pitcher would you have signed that Kenny didn't?

I wouldve Lobbied to JR to exempt Colons Contract, seeing how "important" he was. I dont see anyone else out there, that can do what we expect of him. Give us the Innings and the K's.

Rocky Soprano
12-09-2003, 10:34 AM

Very well said!

Im 100% behind you.

anewman35
12-09-2003, 10:38 AM
I wouldve Lobbied to JR to exempt Colons Contract, seeing how "important" he was. I dont see anyone else out there, that can do what we expect of him. Give us the Innings and the K's.

The offer we made to Colon was totally fair. The thing that sent him to the Angels was the 4th year, which we would have been crazy to offer - would you really want to be stuck with a $12 million pitcher who might be horrible or hurt by 2007? Long-term contracts for pitchers (any pitcher) are rarely good ideas, because of the high risk of injury.

bobj4400
12-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank

Loiaza
Buehrle
Garcia
Ponson
Garland

This is the staff that I am envisioning:

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Wright/Cotts
Schoeneweis/Rauch

Can you say 80 wins? WoooHoooo!!!! White Sox baseball!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Thigpen
12-09-2003, 11:03 AM

The disgusting thing is that 80 may win the Central next year.

Hangar18
12-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Wright/Cotts
Schoeneweis/Rauch

Hey, an 80 win staff is .500 Baseball in my Book !!!
You can put it on the boaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard YES !

KingXerxes
12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
I don't think 83 wins is going to get this division.

Cleveland is going to be much better than last year (when they were too young), and I don't think Kansas City was a fluke last year - I think they're going to be better as well. These two teams seem to be on the upswing, with the White Sox and Minnesota on the way down. Detroit flat out stinks.

KingXerxes
12-09-2003, 11:21 AM
ESPN just reported that Colon has signed with Anaheim.

bestkosher
12-09-2003, 11:34 AM
anahiem press conference tuesday colon has been sighed by Anameim

Frank the Tank
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Wright/Cotts
Schoeneweis/Rauch

Personally, I would be happy to win 80 with the above staff. I don't see Buehrle winning more than 16 games and he will be the "ace" on the team. I have a bad feeling Loaiza is going to fall off the boat and tank next year. Garland is most likely going to be a .500 pitcher and if Wright is a full time starter, he will be the next 20 game loser. If this is the 2004 pitching staff....WE GONE!

ma-gaga
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

AJ Pierszinski

Can you at least spell his name right?
Pierzynski.

:)

Besides you have to add two more columns to your table. The first is the "replacement player" column, the second would be "dollars saved".

Unfortunately I don't know who the Twins are going to bring in as their 4th and 5th starters so I can't answer the Milton replacement. I also don't know how their bullpen is going to shake down if Guardado is gone.