PDA

View Full Version : Arbitration Questions

oheeoh...magglio
12-08-2003, 01:13 PM
I know we offered Tom Gordon arbitration to try and get a compensatory draft pick, but i'm curious about Bartolo. I'm not very familiar with how arbitration works, so I would appreciate it if somebody could explain that to me. Also, i'm curious how good the chances are that Bartolo will actually be pitching for us next year. Thanks to all respondents in advance.

Jjav829
12-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
I know we offered Tom Gordon arbitration to try and get a compensatory draft pick, but i'm curious about Bartolo. I'm not very familiar with how arbitration works, so I would appreciate it if somebody could explain that to me. Also, i'm curious how good the chances are that Bartolo will actually be pitching for us next year. Thanks to all respondents in advance.

We will receive two picks for Gordon once his signing of official. Depending on who else the Yankees sign, we may receive their first pick since they won't be picking in the top 15. The Braves not offering Sheffield arbitration could be big for us. The Braves would have received the Yankees first pick, but since they didn't offer arbitration, there is a chance we receive the Yankees first pick for Gordon. We also receive a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to know about Bartolo. Since we offered him arbitration, we will receive two picks for him as well (most likely the first pick of the team who signs him unless it is in the top 15) as well as another sandwich pick.

By offering Colon arbitration the Sox can continue to talk to him and have until January 8th to sign him assuming he rejects arbitration. Should Colon decide that he doesn't like any of the offers he has received, he has until the 19th to accept arbitration. If he does accept then the Sox and Colon would go to arbitration. They each submit their salary figure and a non biased arbiter listens to their cases. The arbiter would then award Colon the figure which he/she determines to be most nearest his value based on the two sides arguments. Arbitration is binding so once Colon decides to go to it, he is stuck with whatever he is awarded.

Hopefully that helps. If not, ask me whatever you are unclear on and hopefully I can answer it.

oheeoh...magglio
12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
We will receive two picks for Gordon once his signing of official. Depending on who else the Yankees sign, we may receive their first pick since they won't be picking in the top 15. The Braves not offering Sheffield arbitration could be big for us. The Braves would have received the Yankees first pick, but since they didn't offer arbitration, there is a chance we receive the Yankees first pick for Gordon. We also receive a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to know about Bartolo. Since we offered him arbitration, we will receive two picks for him as well (most likely the first pick of the team who signs him unless it is in the top 15) as well as another sandwich pick.

By offering Colon arbitration the Sox can continue to talk to him and have until January 8th to sign him assuming he rejects arbitration. Should Colon decide that he doesn't like any of the offers he has received, he has until the 19th to accept arbitration. If he does accept then the Sox and Colon would go to arbitration. They each submit their salary figure and a non biased arbiter listens to their cases. The arbiter would then award Colon the figure which he/she determines to be most nearest his value based on the two sides arguments. Arbitration is binding so once Colon decides to go to it, he is stuck with whatever he is awarded.

Hopefully that helps. If not, ask me whatever you are unclear on and hopefully I can answer it.

Thanks Jjav. I just wasn't familar with the system for arbitration, and that helps a lot. I'm really confused with what's going to happen with Bartolo, and i'm afraid that even if we end up getting Bart back, we will vastly overpay him. Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Dadawg_77
12-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

One thing to be clear, the arbiter must pick either the teams or players submitted number. He/She can't chose their own number.

Jjav829
12-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
One thing to be clear, the arbiter must pick either the teams or players submitted number. He/She can't chose their own number.

I thought I made that clear, but yeah its worth repeating in case anyone misunderstood.