PDA

View Full Version : Arbitration not offered to Sullivan

lowesox
12-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Anybody know why? I think this could be a big mistake.

bestkosher
12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
most likely if the sox did offer arbitration, they would have to pay a higher price for him than if they signed him to a fa contract, do to the low market

DrCrawdad
12-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Anybody know why? I think this could be a big mistake.

The Sox offered arbitration to Gordon simply to up the ante on the draft picks, if I understand the system correctly.

As far as Sully, if they offered him arbitration they must feel that Sully would go to arbitration and then they'd be overpaying Sully in the current market. They probably feel that there are equally as good of alternatives out there for less dough.

I would like to have seen the Sox sign Sully but now he's gone with virtually no chance of him coming back, right?

nodiggity59
12-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Yeah Sully's a goner.

I hope the Guardado rumor is true now that we're not paying Gordon and Sully.

On a more realistic note, Roberto Hernandez looked good in the playoffs once last year for the Braves and he was non tendered.

lowesox
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Well, I hope that KW doesn't think that he can keep dropping guys like Sully and Flash and expect to win with a bullpen full of guys from AAA.

TheRockinMT
12-08-2003, 03:48 PM
I see a lot of activity as far as signing FA's that can come out of the pen. Marte can be a closer, but he is young and we don;t know how durable. The Sox will need at least 2 more in the pen and that also means if Koch stays. Billy could rebound in 2004 the only question is will it be with the Sox. I also wish we could have kept Sullivan, but I am sure he will sign with someone else before May 2004.

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, I hope that KW doesn't think that he can keep dropping guys like Sully and Flash and expect to win with a bullpen full of guys from AAA.

Flash is definitely a loss but Sullivan is replaceable.

Am I the only one here that seems to remember Sullivan getting lit-up everytime he came in from the BP? And no..... I'm not mistaking Sullivan for Botch. Maybe it was just the games that I went to.

thepaulbowski
12-08-2003, 04:52 PM

Sullivan didn't impress me out of the bullpen for the Sox last year. At least not enough to time up around $ 3 million in the guy.

thepaulbowski
12-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Am I the only one here that seems to remember Sullivan getting lit-up everytime he came in from the BP? And no..... I'm not mistaking Sullivan for Botch. Maybe it was just the games that I went to.

I think he's a real streaky pitcher. When he's good, he's real good, but when he's bad....

Randar68
12-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Sullivan has been way overused the past 3 seasons, (off the top of my head, sounds right)... and I think he's just an injury waiting to happen. He stuff wasn't as good this year as in years past. He would probably accept arbitration and based on numbers alone be given a raise. I wouldn't have offered more than 1.5 million for his services.