PDA

View Full Version : This Shouldn't be Ignored

PaulDrake
12-08-2003, 11:48 AM
A tip of my hat to Jim Laffer for his article and detailed tables on the payroll expenditures of MLB teams since 1988. It takes time and an attention span to wade through this but it is very informative and I'm sure it took Jim a lot of time to put this together. I recommend that everyone here check out "Payroll Success?"

voodoochile
12-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
A tip of my hat to Jim Laffer for his article and detailed tables on the payroll expenditures of MLB teams since 1988. It takes time and an attention span to wade through this but it is very informative and I'm sure it took Jim a lot of time to put this together. I recommend that everyone here check out "Payroll Success?"

Thanks, that's me. I appreciate the kudos. Not as much time as you would think. All the information is out there on the Internet and I am pretty good at copying and pasting.

It actually came out pretty much like I expected in terms of what I expected to see and the teams who are underperforming based on money spent come as no shock. The Rangers, Orioles and Flubbies have long been bad teams for getting bang for their bucks.

Dadawg_77
12-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Thanks, that's me. I appreciate the kudos. Not as much time as you would think. All the information is out there on the Internet and I am pretty good at copying and pasting.

It actually came out pretty much like I expected in terms of what I expected to see and the teams who are underperforming based on money spent come as no shock. The Rangers, Orioles and Flubbies have long been bad teams for getting bang for their bucks.

Voodoo, you on the path that Doug Pappas has done before, http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/data.htm If you want he has team salary data since 1977 in a excel spreadsheet for download

One thing he does is to factor in what a team has to spend on payroll, 300K times 25 and figure a major league team will win at least 1/3 of their games. Using this data, he factors how many marginal dollars a team spent per marginal win.

voodoochile
12-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Voodoo, you on the path that Doug Pappas has done before, http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/data.htm If you want he has team salary data since 1977 in a excel spreadsheet for download

One thing he does is to factor in what a team has to spend on payroll, 300K times 25 and figure a major league team will win at least 1/3 of their games. Using this data, he factors how many marginal dollars a team spent per marginal win.

That would have been cool to know about last Thursday when the bug hit me to find out what the truth was. Oh well, it was fun to do the work.

That is a wealth of information they have.

I actually was thinking of comparing payroll to attendance figures and seeing it there was a correlation. I will have to look around their site for a while first to see what is already there.

Iwritecode
12-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That would have been cool to know about last Thursday when the bug hit me to find out what the truth was. Oh well, it was fun to do the work.

That is a wealth of information they have.

I actually was thinking of comparing payroll to attendance figures and seeing it there was a correlation. I will have to look around their site for a while first to see what is already there.

Good article Voodoo. Just one question though. For the payroll numbers, did you use beginning of the year payroll or end of the year payroll? With mid-season acquisitions and trades, the numbers can vary greatly.

IIRC, the Sox started with a payroll of a little over 50 million last year but ended with it somewhere around 70 million. A lot of it was paid by other teams though...

voodoochile
12-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Good article Voodoo. Just one question though. For the payroll numbers, did you use beginning of the year payroll or end of the year payroll? With mid-season acquisitions and trades, the numbers can vary greatly.

IIRC, the Sox started with a payroll of a little over 50 million last year but ended with it somewhere around 70 million. A lot of it was paid by other teams though...

I don't know if it is an actual amount spent or an estimate based on beginning of the season. I am sure the numbers are for the cash outlay itself because the Sox numbers do not reflect the Alomar and Everett salaries last year.

PaulDrake
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
So the Sox have done pretty well for the money they've spent. Like I've said before on the internet and otherwise no one is saying spend Yankee or Red Sox money. Just pick the right spots to spend a little extra to make the team competitive (I mean playoff worthy) year in and year out. Look how attendance spiked in the second half of 03. Guess what Mr. Reinsdorf? The Sox can compete with the Cubs in Chicago. They've been reasonably successful with the money they've spent. Why not make a serious effort at a World Championship? The payoff would be wort it, monetarily and otherwise.

poorme
12-08-2003, 02:28 PM
voodoo

any relation to Arthur?

voodoochile
12-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by poorme
voodoo

any relation to Arthur?

He's my uncle...

SluggersAway
12-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Ahh, a Laffer curve I can embrace.

The other one is only used to justify government spending, let's get rid of taxation altogether.

Bravo Mr. Laffer.

I wouldnt be suprised to see George Will jump on board and embrace the new Laffer curve.

cornball
12-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Voodoo excellant article. That was great. It shows our chances of making the playoff this year to be real slim.

Also makes the case for, if you get in, anything can happen.

Great Job!!!!!!

flo-B-flo
12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
So the Sox have done pretty well for the money they've spent. Like I've said before on the internet and otherwise no one is saying spend Yankee or Red Sox money. Just pick the right spots to spend a little extra to make the team competitive (I mean playoff worthy) year in and year out. Look how attendance spiked in the second half of 03. Guess what Mr. Reinsdorf? The Sox can compete with the Cubs in Chicago. They've been reasonably successful with the money they've spent. Why not make a serious effort at a World Championship? The payoff would be wort it, monetarily and otherwise. Every old (and the last several years.....all) SOX fans that I have known have expressed this very sentiment. Its taken him a long time but JR slowly is realizing how mad the SOX fans are at him. WINNING consistently will make us happy.....no s#*% Jerry. We got barely an 80 win team as we write.