PDA

View Full Version : Pete Ward Interview

HITMEN OF 77
12-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Just saying great job to Lip for the excellent interview with my favorite player of the past, Pete Ward. Great information and stories of his life after the White Sox. Pete lives about 2 hours from me and is just a great individual. Thanks Lip!

CiscoCarlos
12-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Great interview with Pistol Pete!

My favorite Sox memory of all time was Ward's last home run at Comiskey before a crowd of 7,365 at the old ballpark.

The Sox were down 3-2 late in the game; in a meaningless late season game for a team that wound up 69-93 for the season. Ward's career was winding down, but Gutteridge called him up as a pinch hitter. He responded with a towering fly ball that hugged the right field line. No doubt it was gone, but would it stay fair? It seemed like forever before the ball finally landed, just inside the upper deck foul pole for a clutch three run homer.

Wilbur Wood came in, pitched beautifully for the final two innings and the Sox won 5-3.

Fast forward 30 years and I'm no longer a nine year old kid but a member of the cruise industry where Ward's travel agency of longstanding has grown into one of the most successful cruise sellers in the Pacific Northwest. Pete Ward's Travel & Cruises has gained a reputation in the business for providing quality service, not only with Pete's annual baseball tours, but with Alaska and Mediterranean cruises.

Using business as a pretext, I called him a few times to discuss industry issues and boy was he ever gracious when I thanked him for my favorite childhood memory. And he was kind enough to share some fun Sox stories.

Anyways, if you're ever thinking about taking a cruise vacation, particularly to Alaska, give his agency a call at 503-624-1400. A) You might catch him in and B) Even if you don't, the people at his agency are real experts on cruising--you can't go wrong.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Folks:

I appreciate very much the kind words, it's a nice change of pace from my vocal and inane critics. I also appreciate the work that Pale Hose George does with these since he has the tough job of formatting them for WSI, and inserting the pictures / baseball cards.

I agree completely about Pete... a very class guy. Last Friday the day after Thanksgiving I got a package in the mail from his agency. When I opened it, Pete had enclosed an 8 X 10 black & white picture of him in his Sox uniform from 1969 autographed. In addition he sent me a copy also autographed, of the famous 1965 Sports Illustrated cover that never was!

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Pete was also kind enough to give me some leads on some of his former teammates which I hope to contact for future interviews including Floyd Robinson.

He and Gary Peters were my first baseball heroes. I think I chose wisely in my youth!

Again I appreciate the kind words. I'm not sure yet about the future. I know that I have started a long historical piece on Jerry Reinsdorf including numerous audio cuts from the man himself, the folks who work with him and his critics, I have also e-mailed Rich King for a possible interview and will follow up on that after the holidays. Another possibility is Greg "The Bull" Luzinski. Jerry Koosman gave me his home phone number and e-mailed him letting him know that I'll be contacting me.

It's good to have some choices!

Lip

DrCrawdad
12-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Great job again Lip!

http://www.westboroughplayers.org/applause.gif

Pete Ward
12-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Yes... Great job on the article!

Pete Ward... my 1st hero .

I wear his name proud as my tag.

I remember trying Pete's batting stance as a little league.

:)

To you Pete..... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

PaulDrake
12-08-2003, 11:42 AM
It was a great trade that brought Ward to the White Sox. After winning the pennant in 59, the Sox slipped a little each year. Before the 63 season most prognosticators were saying the Sox were finished as a perennial winning team. They surprised everyone by finishing a strong second and following that up with additonal second place finishes in 64 and 65. Ward was a big part of that success. I'm hoping Lip gets the interview with Floyd Robinson, who was one of my favorites in that era. In any case, another great job in a long line of great interviews archived here.

HITMEN OF 77
12-08-2003, 01:22 PM
CiscoCarlos-Great final homer story about Pete, I never knew! I wasn't even born yet when Pete was playing but after reading books and learning about the players of the past, Pete became my favorite player of the past and that last homer story just adds to it! I might even have the pants he wore when he hit that last Sox homer. I own a pair of '69 Ward gamer flannel pants....Oh if they could talk.