PDA

View Full Version : Sox after Guardado

Jjav829
12-07-2003, 08:03 PM
According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Sox have entered the bidding for Eddie Guardado.

Guardado had received offers from the Cubs, Athletics, Red Sox and Mariners, and now the White Sox have entered the picture, too. He would like to remain with the Twins, but it's believed he has received some offers for around $5 million a season and would have to accept less to stay in the Twin Cities.

Link (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4253271.html)

Edit: If you have to login use "bselig" as both the login and password. Someone posted that a while ago and it works for most free logins.

Daver
12-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Edit: If you have to login use "bselig" as both the login and password. Someone posted that a while ago and it works for most free logins.

Credit for that bit of info goes to Kermit.

nodiggity59
12-07-2003, 08:10 PM
I would love this if we could then move Koch for either talent or salary relief... no frickin Cedeno or whatever we've heard

or we could just increase payroll and have an outstanding bullpen.

jeremyb1
12-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
I would love this if we could then move Koch for either talent or salary relief... no frickin Cedeno or whatever we've heard

or we could just increase payroll and have an outstanding bullpen.

Wow. We're really trying to corner the market on lefty relievers if we're after Guardado in addition to Marte. There are a few relivers on the market I'd rather pursue as I feel most closers are probably overrated due to the save statistic but I'd love having Guardado in our pen.

RedPinStripes
12-07-2003, 08:22 PM
That would be a nice pick up.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2003, 08:24 PM
With all the rumors, possibilities and names flying around I have absolutely no idea who or what the Sox are going to do.

I only hope Kenny does.

Lip

cornball
12-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Wow. We're really trying to corner the market on lefty relievers if we're after Guardado in addition to Marte. There are a few relivers on the market I'd rather pursue as I feel most closers are probably overrated due to the save statistic but I'd love having Guardado in our pen.

Yeah, lefty pitchers and righty hitters.

santo=dorf
12-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
[B]According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Sox have entered the bidding for Eddie Guardado.

Link (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4253271.html)

I'm sure we're one of the teams that is offering 5 million!
Seriously, if we signed Guardado, would he be our closer?

JoseCanseco6969
12-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I'm sure we're one of the teams that is offering 5 million!
Seriously, if we signed Guardado, would he be our closer?

I'm sure he would be, who else is there...Billy Boy???

Guardado would be a fine addition, hes got that fiery attitude and is a hell of a closer.

Sign him and trade koch for anything.

lowesox
12-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Agreed. This would be a nice move for the sox. Taking one away from the Twins and definitely bolstering our pen.

There are a lot of rumors flying around, if some of them were to come true, this could be a decent team. Imagine if they all did?

K Brown for Konerko and Valentin
Guardado via FA
Garciaparra and Damon for Maggs and Koch
Re-sign Sullivan

I think those were what the rumors were. Chances are none of them will come true, but as JR at the helm imagination is basically all we have.

Jjav829
12-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Thought so. Just didn't want to take credit anyway from anyone else if I was wrong. :smile:

Thanks kermit.

jeremyb1
12-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Agreed. This would be a nice move for the sox. Taking one away from the Twins and definitely bolstering our pen.

There are a lot of rumors flying around, if some of them were to come true, this could be a decent team. Imagine if they all did?

K Brown for Konerko and Valentin
Guardado via FA
Garciaparra and Damon for Maggs and Koch
Re-sign Sullivan

I think those were what the rumors were. Chances are none of them will come true, but as JR at the helm imagination is basically all we have.

It is important to note that there's more or less no foudation for the Brown and Garciaparra/Damon rumors. The Brown rumor was speculation about what the Sox should do by Rogers and Garciaparra/Damon rumor was started by someone on this board.

dougs78
12-07-2003, 10:08 PM
It is important to note that there's more or less no foudation for the Brown and Garciaparra/Damon rumors. The Brown rumor was speculation about what the Sox should do by Rogers and Garciaparra/Damon rumor was started by someone on this board.

I was under the impression that the Garciaparra/Damon rumor had been confirmed to have been a report from a Boston area radio station. Not saying that makes it reliable or gives it a foundation either, but it did have more substance that just a WSI pipedream.

bc2k
12-07-2003, 10:13 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to have signed Hawkins at 3.67-4.00 million per year and making Marte our closer instead of paying 5 million per for Guardado?

Since setup men are cheaper than closers, and league-minimum Marte can fill the closer position, why not save the extra 1 milllion+ per year?

munchman33
12-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Wouldn't it make more sense to have signed Hawkins at 3.67-4.00 million per year and making Marte our closer instead of paying 5 million per for Guardado?

Since setup men are cheaper than closers, and league-minimum Marte can fill the closer position, why not save the extra 1 milllion+ per year?

I think the only reason the Sox are in on Guardado is because Hawkins is already gone. The dismantling of the Twins has started, and now Kenny wants to make sure they lose as many pieces as possible.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think the only reason the Sox are in on Guardado is because Hawkins is already gone. The dismantling of the Twins has started, and now Kenny wants to make sure they lose as many pieces as possible.

i kind of like that idea. improve our team by dismantiling theirs

CubKilla
12-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I'm with you. I'd rather have Hawkins but he decided on <.500 ball for the next three seasons :D: .

nodiggity59
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
KW haters: Don't forget that Hawkins, for some stupid reason, wanted to play for the FLUBS.

So we probably would have had to substantially outbid them and probably pay more for him than Guardado.

Frank the Tank
12-07-2003, 11:38 PM
I would love to have Guardado, but I'm not sure we can offer $5MM. I was under the impression that we are under a really tight budget (unless JR is really willing to spend more than the proposed $58MM). IMO, the little money we have left should be spent on more important holes.

JoseCanseco6969
12-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I would love to have Guardado, but I'm not sure we can offer $5MM. I was under the impression that we are under a really tight budget (unless JR is really willing to spend more than the proposed $58MM). IMO, the little money we have left should be spent on more important holes.

Well we already lost gordon, so theres his money, plus if we dump koch, theres some additional money to throw at guardado. And we should still have some extra cash if we can unload konerko to fill other holes.

I think people are underestimating our beloved KW. He might actually have a few tricks up his sleeves. Its been a crazy offseason so far and its only dec 7th!

nodiggity59
12-08-2003, 02:08 AM
At first this suggestion seems ludicrous given the Sox payroll, but now that we've dropped Sullivan and Gordon, maybe it is in our price range. Plus it doesn't seem like the rest of our bullpen is hanging around either right now so...who knows.

jeremyb1
12-08-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
I was under the impression that the Garciaparra/Damon rumor had been confirmed to have been a report from a Boston area radio station. Not saying that makes it reliable or gives it a foundation either, but it did have more substance that just a WSI pipedream.

Interesting. I missed that.

ma-gaga
12-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Daver

You just need to know where to look for this info. Kudo's to kermit for sharing it.

:kermit
"go kermie go!!!"