PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Juan Gone, Kevin Brown?

Jjav829
12-07-2003, 09:58 AM
According to Phil Rogers today, the Sox are doing background checks on Juan Gonzalez for if they were to trade Konerko or Maggs. He also says the Sox are receiving many inquiries for Maggs and says the Braves could be a likely trading partner with the Sox receiving pitching/prospects in return.

Rogers also throws out the idea that the Sox should be interested in a Kevin Brown for Konerko and Valentin deal.

I like the idea of Gonzalez if he would come cheaply. Brown is an interesting idea, but that is one hell of a big salary. Hes due $15 million each of the next two years.

Here is the link. Just scroll past all the Cub crap towards the bottom.Full article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-031206rogers,1,7060883.column?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

SoxxoS
12-07-2003, 10:59 AM
If we want a gamer and a grinder, and just an awesome pitcher, than Kevin Brown is our guy. I think the Dodgers should pick up about 6 million left on that 30 he is owed, and if they would do that, I would trade Valentin and Konerko for Brown in a heartbeat.

Jjav829
12-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If we want a gamer and a grinder, and just an awesome pitcher, than Kevin Brown is our guy. I think the Dodgers should pick up about 6 million left on that 30 he is owed, and if they would do that, I would trade Valentin and Konerko for Brown in a heartbeat.

I agree. Plus Brown is similar to Garland so maybe he could help Garland in the way that Wells helped Buehrle. However, it sounds like that is just an idea from Rogers and maybe not something the Sox are considering.

Tragg
12-07-2003, 11:20 AM

Doesn't brown spend more time on the injured list than on the mound?

And Juan Gonzales? Another over the hill veteran who was really only good for a couple of years. Fits well with our motif

cornball
12-07-2003, 11:21 AM
I agree K brown is one of the best pitchers in baseball when healthy.

ChiSoxFann
12-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I agree K brown is one of the best pitchers in baseball when healthy.

yea but when was the last time he started a full season and 15 mill a season for a guy who's injured all the time i dunno thanks but no thanks

juan gone why do we need another slow power hitter why dont we just keep konerko hes younger

SoxxoS
12-07-2003, 12:51 PM
i dont know but he pitched 211 innings last year which i think is pretty good for a pitcher i am not sure i maybe wrong but kevin brown is awesome for 15 million a year or not whatever i would love to have him on the white sox he is my favorite player.

Sure. He is injury prone. But he is a risk I would be willing to take, especially if you rid me of Konerko and Valentin (13 million). I should put this in deep pink, but imagine-

K Brown
Colon
Loiaza
Buerhle
Garland

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

doublem23
12-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Every pitcher is injury prone. Anyone who can find fault in the Sox going after a name like Kevin Brown needs a kick in the nads.

Brian26
12-07-2003, 12:55 PM
I honestly hate both of those moves.

Kevin Brown's salary is completely unjustified for the liability he brings regarding his health. There's a reason the Dodgers are trying to unload him.

Juan Gonzalez doesn't interest me in the least. I'd rather keep Mags or PK (or both) than bring Juan to Chicago.

Both of these moves really worry me. I hope Rogers is wrong, because this is the completely wrong direction this franchise should be heading in. Why get rid of Mags because of all the money he's due (remember he's never been on the DL for an extended period of time) only to pick up a overpaid pitcher that's been on the DL more than he's been healthy over the past few years.

doublem23
12-07-2003, 12:56 PM
i dont know but he pitched 211 innings last year which i think is pretty good for a pitcher i am not sure i maybe wrong but kevin brown is awesome for 15 million a year or not whatever i would love to have him on the white sox he is my favorite player.

Sure. He is injury prone. But he is a risk I would be willing to take, especially if you rid me of Konerko and Valentin (13 million). I should put this in deep pink, but imagine-

K Brown
Colon
Loiaza
Buerhle
Garland

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Man, there's a starting rotation. What's that? 4 pitchers who realistically could win 20 with an ERA under or around 4.00?

Stupid pipe dreams! :angry:

SoxxoS
12-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Man, there's a starting rotation. What's that? 4 pitchers who realistically could win 20 with an ERA under or around 4.00?

Hey, we offer arbitration to Colon, we got 3 of the 4.

If Phil Rogers is correct with that trade, albeit a long shot, it COULD happen...

:smile:

RedPinStripes
12-07-2003, 01:18 PM

If that is our stating rotation and they find a decent CF. (Not Rowand Harris or Borchard, I'll aplogeise publically on this board for all teh negative things i've said the past few weeks. If you have a Rotaion like that , you can offord to have Uribe at SS and Maybe Harris at 2b with their speed. :gulp:

doublem23
12-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If that is our stating rotation and they find a decent CF. (Not Rowand Harris or Borchard, I'll aplogeise publically on this board for all teh negative things i've said the past few weeks. If you have a Rotaion like that , you can offord to have Uribe at SS and Maybe Harris at 2b with their speed. :gulp:

With a rotation like that I'd be willing to let Reed or Borchard sumo wrestler for Opening Day starter in CF... Possibly invest in a middle infielder (preferably a 2nd baseman/lead-off type) and I think we'd be set.

RedPinStripes
12-07-2003, 02:21 PM
With a rotation like that I'd be willing to let Reed or Borchard sumo wrestler for Opening Day starter in CF... Possibly invest in a middle infielder (preferably a 2nd baseman/lead-off type) and I think we'd be set.

I can handle that. As long as Rowand is not in the running for anything beside a flight the hell outa here.

gosox41
12-07-2003, 03:41 PM

K Brown
Colon
Loiaza
Buerhle
Garland

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Want to bet this rotation never happens for the White Sox???

Bob

RedPinStripes
12-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

You're so negative!

jordan23ventura
12-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Kevin Brown and Bartolo? Please! Where is all this money going to come from? And so what if it COULD happen? That means we pretty much will have Uribe at SS, Harris at 2B, Olivo at C, Reed or Borchard at CF and Rowand or Daubach at RF. We then become the Dodgers and lose lots of 3-2 or 4-3 games.

gosox41
12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
According to Phil Rogers today, the Sox are doing background checks on Juan Gonzalez for if they were to trade Konerko or Maggs. He also says the Sox are receiving many inquiries for Maggs and says the Braves could be a likely trading partner with the Sox receiving pitching/prospects in return.

Rogers also throws out the idea that the Sox should be interested in a Kevin Brown for Konerko and Valentin deal.

I like the idea of Gonzalez if he would come cheaply. Brown is an interesting idea, but that is one hell of a big salary. Hes due $15 million each of the next two years.

Here is the link. Just scroll past all the Cub crap towards the bottom.Full article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-031206rogers,1,7060883.column?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

I think Juan Gon is a joke. He's a head case. Who needs this guy? Add to it the fact that he's a slow, right handed power hitter and I think getting him would be dumb.

A background check?? There is no need to do a lot of research into this. Anyone can see he's a head case always whining abot something or another. I don't want him here.

Bob

ondafarm
12-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
. . . the Sox are receiving many inquiries for Maggs and says the Braves could be a likely trading partner with the Sox receiving pitching/prospects in return.

The Braves pitching prospects are pretty limited in their AAA-Richmond and AA-Greenville teams. I've seen both teams play and I wouldn't trade Maggs for anyone on either staff or even the best three or four.

RedPinStripes
12-07-2003, 03:52 PM
I think Juan Gon is a joke. He's a head case. Who needs this guy? Add to it the fact that he's a slow, right handed power hitter and I think getting him would be dumb.

A background check?? There is no need to do a lot of research into this. Anyone can see he's a head case always whining abot something or another. I don't want him here.

Bob

Juan Gone would have been nice 5 years ago, but there's no room for another DH. Unless Maggs and or Lee are going somewhere. I'm not sure how he is defensively now, but i know he had a real good arm before. I dont want him.

jordan23ventura
12-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Juan Gone would have been nice 5 years ago, but there's no room for another DH. Unless Maggs and or Lee are going somewhere. I'm not sure how he is defensively now, but i know he had a real good arm before. I dont want him.

I don't want him either. If Konerko can be traded I think the safe bet is for Frank at first even though he may stumble and fall here and there. We all know the numbers he puts up at 1B. If that were to happen, and Maggs were to leave also, we would have an advantage in that we could get a switch-hitting or lefty OF like Everett who has some speed and use him in the RF/DH role with Daubach. Either way, NO MORE RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTERS!!!! If that formula can be avoided I would say we've made progress.

CubKilla
12-07-2003, 05:11 PM

Bob

Exactly. If you get Brown, no Colon..... and vice versa. If LA picks up a SUBSTANTIAL portion of Brown's salary, maybe..... but they won't. Guaranteed.

Brown and Colon in any White Sox SP rotation at the same time is the definition of pipedream.

Soxfest
12-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Juan gone is good for about 80 games the other 80 his back is hurt, no go on Juan gone.

Frater Perdurabo
12-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Please no Juan Gonzalez.

He doesn't hustle. (He the exact opposite of "grinder")

He is a pouter and a crybaby. He won't play if his pants don't fit right, for crying out loud!

His defense is average if not below.

He is horrible with the media and with the fans (the exact opposite of Maggs).

He doesn't even produce in a contract year.

I would not want him on my team, even if he played for free.

Frater Perdurabo
12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
I should put this in deep pink, but imagine-

K Brown
Colon
Loiaza
Buerhle
Garland

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Yes, that should have been in deeppink. But it would be one of the top three starting staffs in the majors.

While they are at it, they should sign Ponson and put Garland in the bullpen!

longshot7
12-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Every pitcher is injury prone. Anyone who can find fault in the Sox going after a name like Kevin Brown needs a kick in the nads.

OUCH!! Hey, I'm a Dodger fan and I'm telling you - we do not want Kevin Brown. Can you say "Epitome of Cancer in the Clubhouse"? And yes, he gets hurt a lot. His body is breaking down due to all those steroids he took around 96-98. Believe me, he is no longer the player who took two teams to the Series.

And Juan Gonzalez? Yeah, he's a fan favorite.

CubKilla
12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
While they are at it, they should sign Ponson and put Garland in the bullpen!

Abso-friggin'-lutely :gulp:

Dub25
12-07-2003, 07:49 PM

Please kick me in the nads hard enough so I can join Juan and Brown on the DL.