PDA

View Full Version : Bob Fontaine leaves the Sox


Daver
12-06-2003, 08:46 PM
To take a position with the Mariners (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031205&content_id=612976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha) ,this might lead to Duane Schaeffer being given his old position.If he is promoted I hope he stops his habit of drafting his relatives.

Chisoxfn
12-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Daver
To take a position with the Mariners (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031205&content_id=612976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha) ,this might lead to Duane Schaeffer being given his old position.If he is promoted I hope he stops his habit of drafting his relatives.

Are you implying that Shaffer wasn't the best shortstop at AA :o:
I dunno Dave, I'm thinking he's the next Arod. I do think that Fontaine will be missed. I like the way this past draft went and I think it is gonna turn into one of the Sox more sucessful drafts in recent years. I watched Fontaine build the Angels farm system and I was so glad when he went to the Sox.

He's gonna really be missed, imo. At least Shaffer is decent. On the plus side, I don't think we'll be drafting Anthony Manuel again :D:

Daver
12-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Are you implying that Shaffer wasn't the best shortstop at AA :o:
I dunno Dave, I'm thinking he's the next Arod. I do think that Fontaine will be missed. I like the way this past draft went and I think it is gonna turn into one of the Sox more sucessful drafts in recent years. I watched Fontaine build the Angels farm system and I was so glad when he went to the Sox.

He's gonna really be missed, imo. At least Shaffer is decent. On the plus side, I don't think we'll be drafting Anthony Manuel again :D:

Shaeffer ran the draft in 2003,before he was moved within the organization for a disagreement with Fontaine.Fontaine was in charge of player development,not the draft.

I agree he will be missed,but he is not irreplaceable.

DrCrawdad
12-06-2003, 09:53 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/12/05/AkxoZSik.jpg
.
.
.
The Sox are now short one bad facial hair front office staff member.
.
.
.

DrCrawdad
12-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Daver
To take a position with the Mariners (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031205&content_id=612976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha) ,this might lead to Duane Schaeffer being given his old position.If he is promoted I hope he stops his habit of drafting his relatives.

Dumb question, was Fontaine a Kenny guy, or a Schu guy?

Daver
12-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Dumb question, was Fontaine a Kenny guy, or a Schu guy?

Bob dates back to the Schueler days.

Hangar18
12-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Typical. I heard Nothing but Good Things about Fontaine
and what he did with the Angels ........

joecrede
12-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Dave Wilder replaces Fontaine (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031208soxplayerdevelopment,1,5359391.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

DrCrawdad
12-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Dave Wilder replaces Fontaine (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031208soxplayerdevelopment,1,5359391.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

So, is this a good thing or bad? What's the opinion?

DrCrawdad
12-08-2003, 05:51 PM
From WhiteSox.com...

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Daver
To take a position with the Mariners (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031205&content_id=612976&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha) ,this might lead to Duane Schaeffer being given his old position.If he is promoted I hope he stops his habit of drafting his relatives.

I'd jump off this Organizational "Titanic" first chance I got too.

Procol Harum
12-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
So, is this a good thing or bad? What's the opinion?

I think you probably answered this question for yourself, but for anyone else who might be wondering, this sorta cements the deal to my way of thinking: " He spent the last four seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers." What can you say beyond that and the fact that prior to that he was with the Flubs? Maybe he was the guy who offered opinions that nobody else listened to??

Is this organization trying to destroy itself? Has any of you ever seen Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder in the same room with Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn????