PDA

View Full Version : Maddux?

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 12:48 AM
An article on ESPN.com says that the Braves are not likely to offer Maddux arbitration. Maddux made about 14mil last year.

I think for a 1 or 2 year deal Maddux could be a good bet for us. I can't see him getting more than 10mil and the plus of him over Bartolo is that if we can get him short term it's less of a risk. His agent is Boras, however, so that could complicate things.

Am I way off base here? He won 15 games last year with a 3.96 ERA, hardly bad numbers and after all he is Greg Maddux.

Daver
12-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
An article on ESPN.com says that the Braves are not likely to offer Maddux arbitration. Maddux made about 14mil last year.

I think for a 1 or 2 year deal Maddux could be a good bet for us. I can't see him getting more than 10mil and the plus of him over Bartolo is that if we can get him short term it's less of a risk. His agent is Boras, however, so that could complicate things.

Am I way off base here? He won 15 games last year with a 3.96 ERA, hardly bad numbers and after all he is Greg Maddux.

Scott Boras + Jerry Reinsdorf = 0 chance.

RedPinStripes
12-06-2003, 12:53 AM
We're only 10 years too late on Maddux.

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Why??? Why, why, why??? He's not worth 10mil at all unless you're Boston or New York. Plus he's at the tail end of his career and is an NL pitcher. I STILL take a Ponson and Wilson Alvarez for 11 or 12, maybe less, over that any day. Remember, our 1-2 are aces in the AL Central and relatively solid 2-3's anywhere else. A couple more of those with Garland at No. 5 makes much more sense than a big name No. 1 with a hole at No. 5 and no money to fill it.

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 01:04 AM
I see your point but I doubt Ponson will be that cheap and Alvarez is not a starter any more. His resurgence is in bullpen work; he's shown nothing to indicate he'd bounce back as a starter.

Another thing: Overpaying Greg freakin Maddux is a better course of action than overpaying Bartolo Colon especially if the deal is for fewer years.

I do agree that Maddux would be overpayed but who wouldn't be?

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
I see your point but I doubt Ponson will be that cheap and Alvarez is not a starter any more. His resurgence is in bullpen work; he's shown nothing to indicate he'd bounce back as a starter.

Another thing: Overpaying Greg freakin Maddux is a better course of action than overpaying Bartolo Colon especially if the deal is for fewer years.

I do agree that Maddux would be overpayed but who wouldn't be?

In that case I would rather overpay Colon because if we did we could at least have him around for a couple more years. Either way I veto both options, and I hope Colon does NOT end up here unless Maggs, PK, Valentin, and Koch are all gone and KW ups the payroll 10mil. There is already too much money that we have to drop before we can do anything at all, and if payroll room is freed it needs to go to SS, 2B, CF, starting pitching and the bullpen. That's enough to give you a headache right there.