PDA

View Full Version : Since we're dreaming...

jordan23ventura
12-05-2003, 11:17 PM
In a "realistic" dream world, PK would go to LA for Perez and Maggs and Koch would go to BoSox for Damon and Nomar. Nomar is the key here and would be affordable only if all three contracts are moved. Valentin would have to be moved as well. Hopefully Damon could be moved for a couple prospects or some sort of package could be arranged (Damon + either Rowand, Wright, Porzio, etc.) for a SP making under 5mil to solidify No. 3 spot. Otherwise Seattle might be interested in Damon and gladly give up Garcia and pay some of his salary if we throw in Rowand or something. Maybe Damon/Rowand or pitcher for Garcia/Winn? Or else maybe another package could be arranged where we could dump Valentin/Damon together.

If both trades happen and we could move Valentin and Damon, sign Robbie and non-tender Schoenweis, KW would be sitting pretty:

Starting Line-up:
(using Alomar as leadoff and throwing in Garcia for filler)
2B Alomar
LF Lee
1B/DH Thomas
SS Nomar
DH/RF ****FILL****
3B Crede
DH/1B/RF Daubach
CF Harris
C Olivo
***not as much power as we're used to, 1-4 could be very strong if Alomar or Harris can find a place at the leadoff spot, 7-9 is weak if Daubach doesn't find consistency, but add a strong No. 5 hitter preferrably from the left side for the best starting line up in the AL Central and competitive with just about anyone in AL

Starting Rotation: Loaiza/Buerhle/Garcia/Garland/Perez
***Best in AL Central again, and if all perform well one of best in AL

Bullpen: Damaso/Wunsch/Sullivan? Pacheo? Adkins? Munoz?Rouch?
***Needs improvement! But doesn't it always?

Somebody help me out here, but I think this comes out to about $53-55 mil without a No. 5 guy and saying we get Garcia for about 5 or 6mil. Then there's about a round 3-5 mil or so for a DH/RF.

JC456
12-06-2003, 12:55 AM
The best teams in baseball are strong up the middle. Quality catcher, shortstop, second base and centerfield. That is the path of much of the play. The Sox have not been strong in this area for a long time. Getting Alomar and Everett to me, made this team better up the middle. Alomar made Valentin better. He is that good. They need to sign him.

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Call me crazy, but I think all signs this offseason indicate a 60mil payroll, maybe a little more but no more than 63mil or so.

I love the Konerko deal, where do I sign?

I say resign Robbie and give our young guys/prospects a shot in center.

I don't like losing Mags. We have a chance of resigning him and NO chance of resigning Nomar.

Add a FA SP (which will depend on the final budget) and Im happy.

JC456
12-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Call me crazy, but I think all signs this offseason indicate a 60mil payroll, maybe a little more but no more than 63mil or so.

I don't like losing Mags. We have a chance of resigning him and NO chance of resigning Nomar.

Is everyone going to agree with every move? I say no. But let's make some soon. I am getting tired of the Cubs continuing with their moves.

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by JC456
The best teams in baseball are strong up the middle. Quality catcher, shortstop, second base and centerfield. That is the path of much of the play. The Sox have not been strong in this area for a long time. Getting Alomar and Everett to me, made this team better up the middle. Alomar made Valentin better. He is that good. They need to sign him.

I am one of the few that will probably agree on Alomar. Why not a 6mil deal over 2 years? If he turns it around - he's only 35 and has only a 1/2 season of AL experience after coming from the Mets - he will be the best bargain since Loaiza last year. And if not, there's always going to be a big money team that would take him as a reserve or even a regular player if we decided to trade him later, if not at the end of the season around the AllStar break. I don't understand how anyone can look at his stats and history of consistency and say he's 100% dead.

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
I am one of the few that will probably agree on Alomar. Why not a 6mil deal over 2 years? If he turns it around - he's only 35 and has only a 1/2 season of AL experience after coming from the Mets - he will be the best bargain since Loaiza last year. And if not, there's always going to be a big money team that would take him as a reserve or even a regular player if we decided to trade him later, if not at the end of the season around the AllStar break. I don't understand how anyone can look at his stats and history of consistency and say he's 100% dead.

Because KW is infatuated with what the speed and youth (aka cheapness for a long time) of Harris could do for this team- he fails to recognize Harris is a waste of time and would be better of on a track team.

Hopefully he wont do the same thing w/ Uribe.

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 01:10 AM

It all depends on Maggs and Nomar. You never know. Personally I would be surprised if the whole Nomar/Damon thing actually got as much build up as the PK/Perez thing, let alone the trade actually happening. I love Maggs as much as anyone, but if they both say want 12 mil per season, or Maggs wants 11 and Nomar wants 13, I go with Nomar all the way. In all honesty I don't see JR making a long term commitment to either so it would be kind of nice to have Nomar in black and white for at least one season.

JC456
12-06-2003, 01:15 AM
It all depends on Maggs and Nomar. You never know. Personally I would be surprised if the whole Nomar/Damon thing actually got as much build up as the PK/Perez thing, let alone the trade actually happening. I love Maggs as much as anyone, but if they both say want 12 mil per season, or Maggs wants 11 and Nomar wants 13, I go with Nomar all the way. In all honesty I don't see JR making a long term commitment to either so it would be kind of nice to have Nomar in black and white for at least one season.

Why would the Sox have traded Aaron Miles for Uribe if they were going to make this deal?

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 01:16 AM

Because KW is infatuated with what the speed and youth (aka cheapness for a long time) of Harris could do for this team- he fails to recognize Harris is a waste of time and would be better of on a track team.

Hopefully he wont do the same thing w/ Uribe.

True. I like Harris though, but as a part-timer and a pinch runner/defensive replacement. Who knows though? He could surprise but I put my money on Robbie turning around quicker than Harris coming into his own, or even replicating what Robbie would do on the field even if he didn't turn around. And then you have all the intangibles of the game that Alomar brings with him which could help a guy like Harris develop. You need a veteran when you have a rookie manager. Frank by himself isn't enough.

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 01:16 AM

Why would the Sox have traded Aaron Miles for Uribe if they were going to make this deal?

Because Graffy is as good as gone.

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 01:18 AM

Good call. I got no problem with Valentin; an article on the official website talked about how he was gonna work on hitting lefties and his price is only high b/c of the current inflated market for SS.

Evidentally KW thinks so too... I see Uribe as the new Graf. Hope he can produce like Graf did.

JC456
12-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Good call. I got no problem with Valentin; an article on the official website talked about how he was gonna work on hitting lefties and his price is only high b/c of the current inflated market for SS.

Evidentally KW thinks so too... I see Uribe as the new Graf. Hope he can produce like Graf did.

Thanks! :)

Frank the Tank
12-06-2003, 04:34 AM
Since we are dreaming... Here we go:

2B - Roberto Alomar
LF - Carlos Lee
SS - Nomar Garciaparra
DH - Frank Thomas
RF - Johnny Damon
1B - Eric Munson
CF - Chris Singleton
3B - Joe Crede
C - Miguel Olivo / Sandy Alomar

Starting Pitchers:

Sidney Ponson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buhrle
Jon Garland
Esteban Loaiza

Losses:
Konerko
Magglio
Jose Valentin
Koch

This line-up easily exceeds the $58 Million proposed budget, but I have a feeling JR is willing to spend close to $70. We are dreaming afterall.

JC456
12-06-2003, 04:53 AM
Frank:

The Sox have already dealt away Aaron Miles for a guy named Uribe from Colorado who is going to play SS. Nomar is no more.

Palehose13
12-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Frank:

The Sox have already dealt away Aaron Miles for a guy named Uribe from Colorado who is going to play SS. Nomar is no more.

I don't know if that is accurate. Nomar has 1 year left on his contract, and then He Gone. I can see them making the move for Nomar, and while he is here for 1 year grooming Uriebe.

In essence what you are saying that there is no need for Nomar or Valentin or any other SS because we now have Uriebe? The kid may be something in the future, but I don't think he will be ready in 2004. I am fine with renting Nomar for a year if it will get us something...

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Because Graffy is as good as gone.

And Uribe is a "grinder" :D:

TornLabrum
12-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
And Uribe is a "grinder" :D:

Is that another name for a "meatball"?

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Is that another name for a "meatball"?

No. A "meatball" is what we see Billy Botch offer up to the likes of Sweeney at 91 MPH :D: .