PDA

View Full Version : Would you root for the Cubs?

Dadawg_77
12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
If the situation was like to college football. USC fans will be rooting for the Golden Domers of ND this weekend. Since a ND will win would put USC in the championship game.

So the question is if the Cubs were playing the fillin team here, and a Cub win would put the Sox in the playoffs but a Cub loss wouldn't knock the Sox out, would you cheer for the Cubs?

RKMeibalane
12-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If the situation was like to college football. USC fans will be rooting for the Golden Domers of ND this weekend. Since a ND will win would put USC in the championship game.

So the question is if the Cubs were playing the fillin team here, and a Cub win would put the Sox in the playoffs but a Cub loss wouldn't knock the Sox out, would you cheer for the Cubs?

I don't know that I would ever root for the Cubs, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they did something to help the Sox. Having said that, I would also hope that the Sox would never put themselves in the position of having to rely on the Loveable Losers.

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Negative!

WLL1855
12-05-2003, 07:07 PM

So the question is if the Cubs were playing the fillin team here, and a Cub win would put the Sox in the playoffs but a Cub loss wouldn't knock the Sox out, would you cheer for the Cubs? [/B]

Something is wrong with this premise.

If a Cub loss wouldn't knock the Sox out, then there would not be any reason to root for them, would there?

No.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 07:10 PM
No one here rooted for the Cubs when they played the Twins ?

Even a Sox fan has limits.

OneDog
12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
If the Sox were in the middle of a heated race with the Twins and the Twins were playing the Cubs in a freak interleague series in late September, I would justify it by saying that I was rooting against the Twins.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
No one here rooted for the Cubs when they played the Twins ?

Even a Sox fan has limits.

Any time of the season if the Cubs are playing a division rival of the Sox beside a team like the Tigers who are harmless I'm rooting against our division.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Quoted the wrong one. There i go talkin to myself again.

Hondo
12-05-2003, 07:17 PM
That quite possibly could be the ultimate conundrum.

There's is no way I could "root" for the Cubs. If said hypothetical situation took place I'd hide in my closet until it was over with a bottle of Jack Daniels. So basically it'd be like every other day.

Foulke You
12-05-2003, 07:50 PM
If it helps the Sox get to the playoffs, then yes I'd root against the AL Central team. That is a no brainer. No way could I say Go...C....Go...Cu..., I can't say it, but you understand the premise should the baby bears be playing someone like Minny or KC in a series with playoff implications for us. :D:

TornLabrum
12-05-2003, 07:52 PM
As Jerry Manuel might have learned had he been paying attention in 2003, every game counts. If the Cubs are playing a contender in our division, I root for the Cubs to win. To do otherwise is the worst kind of stupidity. (Now I'll probably read the thread and find out everyone says they'd never root for the Cubs....)

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
As Jerry Manuel might have learned had he been paying attention in 2003, every game counts. If the Cubs are playing a contender in our division, I root for the Cubs to win. To do otherwise is the worst kind of stupidity. (Now I'll probably read the thread and find out everyone says they'd never root for the Cubs....)

When the Cubs played the Twins and Royals 2 years ago, i rooted for the Cubs. When the Cubs played the Yankees last year, i rooted for the Yankees. And i hate both them teams.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-05-2003, 08:27 PM

I don't root for the Cubs to win. I root for the other team to lose.

Big difference.

:bandance:

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Big difference.

Much better way to put it.

Realist
12-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I was actually pulling for the Cubs a few years ago when they were playing the Indians and the Indians were still the Indians. I can't say that I felt good about it. I could taste the bile rising to my throat through the entire series.

As a side note, one of the guys that I'm in on Sox season tix with and I were at a game last year and we've never once even brought up the Cubs, and I've known the guy since 1st grade. About half way through the game (imagine the both of us puffin' away on a couple of smokes standing on the concourse behind our seats in section 145 watching the game) he turns to me and says, "The only thing worse than us dropping 2 to the Red Sox last week was the Cubs taking 4 of 5 from the Cardinals". With that I looked at him all wide eyed and said, "Wow!! You know we've never ever talked about the Cubs before, I never knew you hated them that much too." My buddy drops his spent stub of a cigarette and the concrete floor, pauses for a moment as he watches his foot grind out the burning amber, then looks me dead in the eye and says, "I hate Notre Dame with a passion, but if they had a baseball team that played the Cubs, I'd root for Notre Dame". I grinned :D: and told him that he's my hero.

cwsox
12-05-2003, 09:24 PM
sox fans do not cheer for the scrubs

premise here is flawed: ND win or lose Saturday has no bearing on USC - USC is in the Super Bowl if they win, period.

There is no way that the cubs will be playing a team that would help us win anything.

Palehose13
12-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Cheer FOR the cubs?
No. Never. Can't. Won't.

duke of dorwood
12-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I'd ALWAYS find a reason not to.

voodoochile
12-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
Negative!

idiot.

I'm sorry for being blunt, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever read on any Sox message board.

Go Flubbies! Get the Sox in the playoffs...

voodoochile
12-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by cwsox

premise here is flawed: ND win or lose Saturday has no bearing on USC - USC is in the Super Bowl if they win, period.

There is no way that the cubs will be playing a team that would help us win anything.

Fluke rainout makeup day on the day after the regular season ends the flubbies are playing the Twins and the Sox are at home with a half game lead on the Twins for the division and neither team can be the wild card.

No, it wouldn't knock the Sox out, but if the flubbies win, the Sox are in...

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 11:06 PM

Come on now. You know better then that.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 11:09 PM
After i got suckered into it, i really hate this thread . Questions like this start brawls. It gets rediculous with any question involving the Cubs with Sox fans. It's bait for someone to call you a closet cub fan. And to a Sox fan that's like saying i just ****ed your mother.

TornLabrum
12-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Much better way to put it.

But the same outcome. Cubs have to win for the other team to lose. Let's just say if I'm watching the game on TV, I don't do a whole lot of cheering except at the end.

TornLabrum
12-06-2003, 09:55 AM

Have you ever heard of interleague play? Cubs played the Twins last year in a 3-game series.

Your premise is flawed.

RedPinStripes
12-06-2003, 10:59 AM
But the same outcome. Cubs have to win for the other team to lose. Let's just say if I'm watching the game on TV, I don't do a whole lot of cheering except at the end.

I admited I've cheered for the Cubs when needed. But admitting that's gonna make someone's day. There's a good chance I'll be called a closet Cub fan by someone who roots against the Cubs more then he roots for the Sox. That's what i dont get with some Sox fans. Why do they care so much about showing hate for the Cubs? I dont like the Cubs so i dont watch them, I dont watchthe standings. For some it's like homo-phobia. They have to constantly bash to constantly prove it's not their life style. Why give a ****? Enjoy the Sox. (If it's possible in 04) And Yes i did get joy out of watching them lose the way they did in theplayoffs. Who didnt?

StepsInSC
12-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by WLL1855

Something is wrong with this premise.

If a Cub loss wouldn't knock the Sox out, then there would not be any reason to root for them, would there?

No.

But a Cub win would guarentee a Sox postseason birth.

vegyrex
12-06-2003, 11:56 AM
No I wouldn't.

I would root against the other team. :D:

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 01:24 PM
I'd probably have to shower and decontaminate afterwards, but if the White Sox' postseason hopes hinged on the Cubs winning, I'd be pulling for the Cubs.

I feel violated now just thinking about it.

TheRockinMT
12-06-2003, 01:29 PM
There is no way a real Sox fan should or would root for the Cubbies!

voodoochile
12-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT

Hope you would be happy sitting around with your thumb up your butt during the playoffs.

I just don't even get how people can even think about rooting for the flubbies opponent in that situation? It boggles the mind.

Are we Sox fans or flubbie haters? There is a difference. I root for the Sox. I want them to succeed no matter what. I don't root for the flubbies under normal circumstances, but given the premise of this thread, it is absurd to consider not rooting for them.

What if the flubbies already have 101 losses for the season and the worst record in baseball so no serious further humiliation can take place by them losing another game? Then do we prefer the Sox in the playoffs over another flubbie loss?

StepsInSC
12-06-2003, 04:12 PM

How can you say this? I know its because I've never lived anywhere within 1500 miles of Chicago, but I don't give a crap about the Cubs. And if this makes you say that I'm not a Sox fan then I'm sorry but you are an idiot. Just because disliking the Cubs is a common characteristic of Sox fans, does not make it a prerequisite!

I'm glad I don't have a hatred for the Cubs that sometimes keeps me from seeing whats best for the Sox.

gaw
12-06-2003, 04:18 PM
I would root for the Packers over the Bears before I would ever root for cubs and I hate the packers. :angry:

RedPinStripes
12-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hope you would be happy sitting around with your thumb up your butt during the playoffs.

I just don't even get how people can even think about rooting for the flubbies opponent in that situation? It boggles the mind.

Are we Sox fans or flubbie haters? There is a difference. I root for the Sox. I want them to succeed no matter what. I don't root for the flubbies under normal circumstances, but given the premise of this thread, it is absurd to consider not rooting for them.

What if the flubbies already have 101 losses for the season and the worst record in baseball so no serious further humiliation can take place by them losing another game? Then do we prefer the Sox in the playoffs over another flubbie loss?

Good post Voodoo. :gulp:

Dadawg_77
12-07-2003, 11:15 AM

EPSN is predicting a LSU vs OU National Championship game since LSU is 8 spots ahead of USC in strength of schedule. A ND and/or Hawaii wins would have boosted USE SOS rating. Looks like your boys could have USC in the Rose.

After i got suckered into it, i really hate this thread . Questions like this start brawls. It gets rediculous with any question involving the Cubs with Sox fans. It's bait for someone to call you a closet cub fan. And to a Sox fan that's like saying i just ****ed your mother.

I know this scenario is far fetch in baseball but there is a chance it could happen, as it did this year with Zona playing the Twins. I was trying to seeing how deep the rivaling is running. Personally, I would borrow some of my friends cubbie blue and cheer for them. Hey the bottom line is how well the Sox do, and everything else is gravy.

TheRockinMT
12-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I can guarentee you that I would be doing something better than sitting with an item- any item- stuck where the sun doesn't shine. Maybe to bring some clarity to this situation we should ask ourselves just what situation could ever develop that the Sox needed a Cubs win to do anything? If we had a committee to report people with left wing Cubbie sentiments I would most certainly file my suspicions with that honorable watchdog group.

doublem23
12-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Maybe to bring some clarity to this situation we should ask ourselves just what situation could ever develop that the Sox needed a Cubs win to do anything?

They're called interleague games.

voodoochile
12-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
They're called interleague games.

Exactly. Heck, I root for the flubbies every time they play an AL club except for the Sox of course.

They can do us favors every year.

TheRockinMT
12-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Maybe interleague games, but nothing else.

doublem23
12-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Maybe interleague games, but nothing else.

Of course.

Hangar18
12-08-2003, 09:17 AM
I Never root for the Cubs ...........
It is Their Actions (and the WhiteSox Inactions) that have us in
this Precarious, Organization-in-jeopardy position

miker
12-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
If the Sox were in the middle of a heated race with the Twins and the Twins were playing the Cubs in a freak interleague series in late September, I would justify it by saying that I was rooting against the Twins.

If this did happen, would not fate have the Lovable Losers uphold their sacred tradition of losing?

ChiSoxBobette
12-08-2003, 02:22 PM

NEVER!

jabrch
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Big difference.

That's it...I certainly want Minnesota to lose all 3 to the Cubs. I certainly want Detroit and Cleveland to lose to the Cubs. I do not want the Cubs to win those games, but thats the price I would have to pay to have our division rivals lose.