PDA

View Full Version : LA Times retracts Perez-Konerko Rumor

jeremyb1
12-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Similar to what the Tribune reported today:

Evans also is trying to fill a hole at first base after he came up short in attempts to acquire first basemen Derrek Lee or Richie Sexson. A deal for Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, a two-time Dodger minor league player of the year, has been on the table for weeks, sources said, but Evans apparently isn't interested.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers5dec05,1,7218495.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger

PaulDrake
12-05-2003, 04:26 PM
I'm probably one of the few here who has no interest in Odalis Perez. I know the next surprise ala Loiaza is out there but I don't think his name is Odalis Perez.

DoubleNickW
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Who ends up playing first if Paul is traded, are they gonna bring up Gload from Charlotte?

Frater Perdurabo
12-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by DoubleNickW
Who ends up playing first if Paul is traded, are they gonna bring up Gload from Charlotte?

Umm, maybe :hurt

Frank can play 1B three to four games per week. A left-handed free agent hitter like Daubach or Ventura could be signed to back up Frank (2 to 3 times per week at 1B), spend some time as DH and pinch hit.

Scotty347
12-05-2003, 04:51 PM

Maybe that Thomas guy can go out there.

DoubleNickW
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
I really don't think Frank can get the job done at 1B at this point. there has to be a better option.

KingXerxes
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Daubach.

Man the more I think about what's going on with this team the more I beccome convinced that we are in for a long long summer.

DoubleNickW
12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
I'm with you King. Hopefully next week things will turn around. Time for many beers!

rmusacch
12-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Umm, maybe :hurt

Frank can play 1B three to four games per week. A left-handed free agent hitter like Daubach or Ventura could be signed to back up Frank (2 to 3 times per week at 1B), spend some time as DH and pinch hit.

I don't think Daubach is a free agent. He will be back unless we non-tender him.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-05-2003, 06:06 PM

ross gload is nothing but a stop gap in the minors. he is a career minor leaguer and has no future with the sox on the big league level. frank would play first i assume

SpringfldFan
12-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
ross gload is nothing but a stop gap in the minors. he is a career minor leaguer and has no future with the sox on the big league level.

Funny, I hear this all the time but I never hear an explanation why. So he has spent several years in the minors. And this disqualifies him from the major league level because...??

Stoky44
12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Similar to what the Tribune reported today:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers5dec05,1,7218495.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger

I am excited this deal is not going to happen. I like Paulie, and if we were going to have to trade him I hope we could get something better than Perez. Hopefully we don't have to worry about who will play 1b next year b/c PK will be back. Mark my words next year he's an all star and bats +.300 and 100 RBI.

MRKARNO
12-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I would hope that they would retract the retraction

JC456
12-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I would hope that they would retract the retraction

Channel 2 news said tonight the deal is still on the table!! :)

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 12:49 AM
I don't care what Evans says. He IS an idiot. If he doesn't take the deal he does something ten times more ridiculous. At least PK still has potential and has shown he is capable of .300 30 100 in a season at some point. Honestly, the only real problems here have nothing to do with the terrible first half he had last year but the money he is making and the fact that at this point in time we have 3 other big right handed producers in the lineup, one who makes 2 mil less and is also a first baseman.

nodiggity59
12-06-2003, 01:15 AM
What ever happened to the apparent persoanlity conflicts that went on there last year? Either he hates the whole town or the whole town hates him and there was bickering.

Maybe Evans will take that into consideration and we'll be able to pull a fast one.

compy75
12-06-2003, 02:15 AM
For those who discuss Konerko's second half, I thought I would throw in the fact he hit .179 in September....

fquaye149
12-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I'm probably one of the few here who has no interest in Odalis Perez. I know the next surprise ala Loiaza is out there but I don't think his name is Odalis Perez.

odalis perez would be far from a surprise....why do you think we'd offer konerko for him?

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by compy75
For those who discuss Konerko's second half, I thought I would throw in the fact he hit .179 in September....

So what? If he would have hit in the first half we wouldn't have needed the month of September at all. This team should rightfully have been about 10 games ahead of Minne at the AllStar break and about 5 or 6 ahead of KC. This was one of the best teams in baesball on paper last year and it failed to win the AL Central. By the end of August, if this team lived up to it's expectations, it would have been a no-contest. KC and Minne would have thrown in the towel before September even began.

gaw
12-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Brian Daubach would probably be our first baseman :whiner:

voodoochile
12-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by gaw

Why not Frank and DB splitting time with the one with a day off doing the DH for the day. Heck, they could even use a RH bat to DH when there is a tough LHP on the mound.

Why is it an issue who plays first anyway?

RichH55
12-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why not Frank and DB splitting time with the one with a day off doing the DH for the day. Heck, they could even use a RH bat to DH when there is a tough LHP on the mound.

Why is it an issue who plays first anyway?

Because the Frank haters might pop a jugular after going on and on about how Frank "Can NOT throw"

With PK gone you can do all sorts of things...Look for a Borchard or Reed to make the team...sign a guy like Daryle Ward/Jeffrey Hammonds, Ben Grieve, Brian Daubauch to be in there as well and get similar production(to PK .800+ OPS all things considered) for 1/8 the money....which allows you to spend more elsewhere(read: Pitching)

mikef1331
12-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by gaw

Ugh! There's a player that the Sox should trade. Maybe the Sox could trade Daubach to Tyler Chicken for some Alcoholic Chicken Stands? :D: