PDA

View Full Version : check this out


habibharu
12-05-2003, 09:46 AM
perez is comin!!
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox05.html

DrCrawdad
12-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Looking at Perez numbers, I don't know if it's excitement or anxiety that I'm feeling. A quick look at his numbers and it seems as though he's had one good year.

If Paulie goes, begin the era of ...

http://usf.rivals.com/uploads/1074/53134.jpg

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=281053

soxtalker
12-05-2003, 10:05 AM
I thought that the article was a good one. I'm curious, though, about the final details that need to be worked out. According to the article, the Sox and Angels almost completed a Lee for Perez swap at the meetings last month; I wonder what is behind that "almost".

kraut83
12-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I wonder what is behind that "almost".

Hopefully that "Almost" was KW coming to his senses that Perez wasn't enough for CLee.

Jjav829
12-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Actually, according to the LA Times Today (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers5dec05,1,3149197.story?coll=la-headlines-sports) , Evans isn't really interested in the deal, so it may not happen.

Evans also is trying to fill a hole at first base after he came up short in attempts to acquire first basemen Derrek Lee or Richie Sexson. A deal for Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, a two-time Dodger minor league player of the year, has been on the table for weeks, sources said, but Evans apparently isn't interested.

miker
12-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Based on his actions last year with the Dodgers, Perez sounds like a left-handed Jaime Navarro.

Welcome to the team!

nodiggity59
12-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Please dont rain on the parade... BE TRUE BE TRUE COME ON KENNY

MisterB
12-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Interesting quote:

Unable to come to terms thus far with midseason acquisitions Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett, both of whom are free agents, Williams also sent out word Thursday that Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand must show more production next season.

"Both [Harris] and Aaron need to get more regular playing time this year to see what they are about,'' Williams said. "They have been exciting payers in the minor leagues. With young players, you are going to see more about what they are about and what they have to offer if they are playing with the same frequency they played with in the minor leagues.''


Sounds like KW is perfectly fine with running Crash and Wee Willie out there as starters next season. Oy. :(:

kittle42
12-05-2003, 10:49 AM
This offseason sucks.

SluggersAway
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
KW is right about Paulie, he did have 3 bad months. But, what has Konerko said about his lumpy season?

In the month of May he had a BA of .098, and then it jumped to .301 in August.

He finished up with .275 in september, giving him .234 for the year...

What gives?

Rocky Soprano
12-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Konerko started slumping the second half of last season.

So he had more than 3 bad months.

voodoochile
12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
KW is right about Paulie, he did have 3 bad months. But, what has Konerko said about his lumpy season?

In the month of May he had a BA of .098, and then it jumped to .301 in August.

He finished up with .275 in september, giving him .234 for the year...

What gives?

Yeah, but conversely he has only had 3 "good" months in his career also.

He isn't worth the money and the Sox have a logjam at first/DH.

Paulie actually has some marketability if they can find a sucker...

thepaulbowski
12-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, but conversely he has only had 3 "good" months in his career also.

He isn't worth the money and the Sox have a logjam at first/DH.

Paulie actually has some marketability if they can find a sucker...
:dumbash

"Are you looking for me ?"

Lip Man 1
12-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Here's another case where no one knows for sure what's going on. While the Sun Times is basically saying the trade is going to happen, the Tribune quotes two executives in the Dodgers organization who say that L.A. is looking elsewhere to fill their first base / power needs.

The picture painted by the Tribune of Perez makes him look like another head case saying he was isolated in the clubhouse after publicly bitching about a lack of run support. Paul LoDuca called Perez out in the papers as saying that anyone who complains to the media has "no guts".

I just don't know if this deal would be more helpful to the Sox in getting Perez or unloading Konerko's contract, and to me that's not a good reason to make a deal.

Lip

DoubleNickW
12-05-2003, 04:01 PM
I agree with Kittle..this offseason sucks. Hopefully the winter meetings turn things around

daveeym
12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
This offseason sucks.


rotfl - this needs to be inserted somewhere in the majority of the current threads.

Randar68
12-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's another case where no one knows for sure what's going on. While the Sun Times is basically saying the trade is going to happen, the Tribune quotes two executives in the Dodgers organization who say that L.A. is looking elsewhere to fill their first base / power needs.

The picture painted by the Tribune of Perez makes him look like another head case saying he was isolated in the clubhouse after publicly bitching about a lack of run support. Paul LoDuca called Perez out in the papers as saying that anyone who complains to the media has "no guts".

I just don't know if this deal would be more helpful to the Sox in getting Perez or unloading Konerko's contract, and to me that's not a good reason to make a deal.

Lip

To me, either one of those options is a good one. Perez is a sufficient addition to the rotation, is a lefty, and is a better option than Schoenweis. Personally, I think LA would be stupid to do Konerko for Perez, but that's just me... And knowing Dan Evans, I don't put it past him...

Man Soo Lee
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Williams, who doesn't hide the fact he is a huge Everett fan, still hasn't given up on re-signing the switch-hitting outfielder, even though he doesn't fit into the team's budget.

"Never say never,'' Williams said. "It's a long process and a long offseason, and sometimes you get more optimistic than others that you might retain a guy.''

I found this part interesting. It suggests that one or both of Lee and Maggs might be traded.

The reference to a "long process" also implies that they will offer Carl arbitration, presumably with an agreement that he would decline, so that they can continue to talk to him.

Realist
12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
I found this part interesting. It suggests that one or both of Lee and Maggs might be traded.

The reference to a "long process" also implies that they will offer Carl arbitration, presumably with an agreement that he would decline, so that they can continue to talk to him.

I believe this is the first time I've heard Carl Everett's name mentioned this off season. I figure it's because everyone assumed he'd be an automatic gonner. That's a shame because when we had that big series with the Twins near the end of September, only two players showed up: Carlos Lee and Carl Everett. Frank, Mags and Konerko were complete busts when we needed 'em at crunch time.

I wouldn't mind a Perez for Konerko trade and I think it would be good for both teams. They're both head cases and a change of scenery may be just what the head doctor ordered for each of 'em.

I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that I predict Konerko to have the best year of his career no matter where he ends up.

DrCrawdad
12-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Realist
A police car and a screaming siren -
A pnuematic drill and ripped up concrete -
A baby waiting and stray dog howling -
The screech of brakes and lamplights blinking -

that's entertainment.

- Paul Weller

I love the Paul Weller signature. I saw The Jam back in 1982 at the Aragon Ballroom. LOUD, VERY LOUD!