PDA

View Full Version : DEc 7th Deadline-Mark Buehrle

BeerHandle
12-05-2003, 07:51 AM
With the Dec 7th deadline quickly approaching, I wonder will what happen to Buehrle.

Dec 7th Deadline - That's the deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their own free agents. But more realistically, it's also the date when other clubs find out if they have to give up a draft pick as compensation for signing those free agents.

jabrch
12-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
With the Dec 7th deadline quickly approaching, I wonder will what happen to Buehrle.

Dec 7th Deadline - That's the deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their own free agents. But more realistically, it's also the date when other clubs find out if they have to give up a draft pick as compensation for signing those free agents.

I don't think there is any doubt we will go to arbitration with Buehlrle unless we can negotiate something out prior to the 7th. Do you?

hold2dibber
12-05-2003, 08:15 AM

I'm not sure why 12/7 is a big deal with respect to Buehrle. They obviously won't non-tender him. So they'll offer him arbitration and try to work out a deal prior to the hearing.

But it is a bigger deal with respect to the free agents. I assume they'll offer arbitration to Colon, Gordon (can they still do so?), and Graffinino. I'm sure they won't offer arbitration to R. Alomar or Everett.

Dadawg_77
12-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm not sure why 12/7 is a big deal with respect to Buehrle. They obviously won't non-tender him. So they'll offer him arbitration and try to work out a deal prior to the hearing.

But it is a bigger deal with respect to the free agents. I assume they'll offer arbitration to Colon, Gordon (can they still do so?), and Graffinino. I'm sure they won't offer arbitration to R. Alomar or Everett.

The Sox can and should offer arbitration to Gordon, he rejects and then the Sox might get a draft pick. Not sure what class Tom is in.

OfficerKarkovice
12-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The Sox can and should offer arbitration to Gordon, he rejects and then the Sox might get a draft pick. Not sure what class Tom is in.

A

hold2dibber
12-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Why do you say the Sox "might" get a draft pick? If they offer him arbitration, and he declines and signs with the Yankees instead, why wouldn't the Sox get a draft pick?

dougs78
12-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Heres a question...

Colon and Gordon are both class "A" free agents, which means that if we offer them arbitration and another team signs them, we get their first rounder and a sandwich pick.

What then happens if the Yankees signed both players? Would it become like the Yankees had two first round picks and we got them both?

jabrch
12-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
Heres a question...

Colon and Gordon are both class "A" free agents, which means that if we offer them arbitration and another team signs them, we get their first rounder and a sandwich pick.

What then happens if the Yankees signed both players? Would it become like the Yankees had two first round picks and we got them both?

I think if a team already has given up their first in a FA signing, then it goes to their second. I recall reading that somewhere - even though it doesn't seem fair.

Jjav829
12-05-2003, 10:22 AM

It's Buehrle's decision to file for arbitration if he wants it. The Sox can't lose him. Hes under contract for 6 years.

And yes, the Sox would receive the Yankees first and second picks then if they signed both Gordon and Colon.

BeerHandle
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
I like the idea with Gordon. Get something out of it.

34rancher
12-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Anyone else find the irony of Dec 7th (a day that will live in infamy), as the last day to sign?

Nick@Nite
12-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Anyone else find the irony of Dec 7th (a day that will live in infamy), as the last day to sign?

You beat me to the post.

jordan23ventura
12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

I think if a team already has given up their first in a FA signing, then it goes to their second. I recall reading that somewhere - even though it doesn't seem fair.

So what happens if the Yanks sign, say 2 Sox players whom have been offered arbitration, and another Braves player whom is also offered arbitration? Would the Sox definately get a first rounder?

munchman33
12-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
So what happens if the Yanks sign, say 2 Sox players whom have been offered arbitration, and another Braves player whom is also offered arbitration? Would the Sox definately get a first rounder?

Here's the deal...The sox don't offer Gordon arbitration, they automatically get the pick because he signed before Dec. 7.

As for multiple signings, the Sox will get the Yankees first round pick for Gordon, as well as a "sandwich pick" between the first and second round for any other grade A free agents the Yankees sign that we offer arbitration.

If there is a case of which team gets the first round pick, it goes to the team losing the "more valuable" free agent, as determined by major league baseball.

Hope that helps