PDA

View Full Version : Putting it all together...

dougs78
12-05-2003, 12:27 AM
There seem to be several rumors floating around that all have contingencies involving the sox. I thought I'd combine these into one thread to help make more sense of the global thinking KW is going through (at least we hope).

1. Konerko to LA for Perez.

2. Magglio and Koch to Boston for Nomar and Damon.

3. Resign Colon for 10 mil/per

4. We'd have to trade Jose (or else play him at 2nd, Yikes)

My question is what would the net effect of these moves be on our payroll? Would it possibly still get us down under our "cap?"

Bottom line, if those three moves transpired here is what our lineup and rotation would look like.

CF Damon
LF Lee
SS Nomar
DH Thomas
1B ??? (lefty bat such as Daubach or Giambi)
3B Crede
RF Reed/Borchard
2b Harris
C Olivo

1. Colon
2. Buehrle
3. Loaiza
4. Perez
5. Garland

I'll have to say that while the lineup has some weak spots, I think the team as a whole may be better than last year. However there a few things unaddressed. We would definitely need another good reliever or two. We could still use an upgrade at 2nd base.

Blueprint1
12-05-2003, 12:43 AM
What about putting Lee at first base like the cards are doing with Albert and playing bochard and reed. Not that any of this has happend yet.

Tree
12-05-2003, 12:44 AM
What about playing Thomas at 1B and have Valentin play DH in a platoon role with maybe resigning Daubach?

Realist
12-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Tree
What about playing Thomas at 1B and have Valentin play DH in a platoon role with maybe resigning Daubach?

I don't know why, but for some reason I love the idea of Valentine at DH. Some sorta gut instinct tells me that he flourish at that position.

cornball
12-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Great post dougs, I was thinking the same thing. Alot has to happen, probably won't but I do think several moves will be made.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Bourchard and Reed in the OF, as much as Harris starting at 2B. No way does this team open the season with Harris as a starter.

BeerHandle
12-05-2003, 08:42 AM
I'd rather see Thomas Play 1B and the Sox sign Hot Carl as our DH.

jabrch
12-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Looks like that lineup has a 60mm payroll without a bullpen or a bench. Do you know something I don't about JRs plans?

34 Inch Stick
12-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I'd rather see Thomas Play 1B and the Sox sign Hot Carl as our DH.

Hot Carl, he's the **** (or is that a dirty Sanchez)!

dougs78
12-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Looks like that lineup has a 60mm payroll without a bullpen or a bench. Do you know something I don't about JRs plans?

No, I certainly have no inside information about payroll. I'm not really up on salaries that much, so I was hoping that someone else who was could add it up. That is amazing that all those moves really don't decrease or increase the payroll. Realistically we could fill out the bench and bullpen for another 5-7 million leaving the total around 65 million. I know that may be a little higher than they'd like, but it doesn't seem unreasonable considering the talent that team has.

Iwritecode
12-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
No, I certainly have no inside information about payroll. I'm not really up on salaries that much, so I was hoping that someone else who was could add it up. That is amazing that all those moves really don't decrease or increase the payroll. Realistically we could fill out the bench and bullpen for another 5-7 million leaving the total around 65 million. I know that may be a little higher than they'd like, but it doesn't seem unreasonable considering the talent that team has.

Here's what I came up with:

Salary/Player/position

Starters
8 mil Damon CF
3 mil R. Alomar 2b
6 mil Thomas 1B/DH
11.5 Nomar SS
5 mil Lee LF
.5 mil Daubach 1B/DH
.3 mil Crede 3B
.3 mil Reed/Borchard/Rowand RF (1 of them)
.3 mil Olivio C

total = 34.9 mil

Bench

Harris
Uribe
.75 mil S. Alomar
Reed/Borchard/Rowand (whoever doesn't start)
Tony G?

10 mil Colon (or possibly Ponson instead?)
1.5 mil Burly
3.5 mil Loaiza
3.4 mil Perez
2.3 mil Garland

total = 20.7

Bullpen

.7 mil Wunsch
.4 mil Marte
3.1 mil Sullivan
Wright
Cotts

I'm not 100% sure on the salaries and obviously there are a couple of guys I don't know. Of the ones I have listed, the total is 60.55 million. If they don't resign Colon but get Ponson instead, I think the total will go down a little. Anyway, I think the total payroll would end up somewhere around 65 million. Considering this is a team that should easily take the weakened Central divsion, I would hope that JR could squeeze a little extra out of his pockets.

If nothing else, that is the starting rotation KW should be looking to field in 2004. The BP is a little weak an probably a man short though.

Anyway, back to reality...

Hokiesox
12-05-2003, 01:13 PM
I'll love Nomar for Maggs, and Damon for Koch, unless KW is getting fleeced again by some 27 year old kid (or however old he is). But on paper, it looks great. Perez would be a great move too, if he comes with a roll of duct tape to keep his mouth shut.

MHOUSE
12-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Maggs and Koch for Nomar AND Damon? That's crazy. Boston would take a step back to add A-Rod and Maggs, but loose Ramirez, Nomar, and Johnny Damon. Now they might do this deal if they know they could get Kaz Matsui too, but that's a lot of things to happen.

joecrede
12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Some of the following has been reported as fact, some of this is my conjecture based on those reports.

If A-Rod goes to Boston, Nomar lands in Anahiem in part as a salary dump. (per Gammons)

The Dodgers are said to be interested in clearing payroll to acquire Ordonez. (per LA Times)

If the Brown-for-Weaver deal happens the Dodgers would gain $22M if the Yankees took on all of Brown's contract (per LA Times).

(Mostly conjecture follows)

With $22M freed up, the Dodgers would have enough money for Ordonez and Konerko. The Sox would insist the Dodgers take Konerko in any deal involving Ordonez.

An Ordonez and Konerko-for-Mota and Perez deal would give the Sox a premiere set-up man and free up apx. $21M in payroll.

The Sox could then turn around and deal Perez and Koch (both reportedly interest the Mets) for David Weathers. Sox save $3M. (Maybe by adding Perez you can get the Mets to pay some of Weathers $3M.)

The end of all this has the Sox getting a premiere set-up guy, an above average middle-reliever, and at least $24M in payroll flexibility at the expense of a premiere right-fielder and mediocre first-baseman.