PDA

View Full Version : The Latest on Colon!

ukigdog
12-05-2003, 12:26 AM
I just listened to the score, they had a writer from CBS sportsline that talked about the whole colon deal. Here are the facts:

1. Angels offer is specualtive no proof yet, but there is alot of commosion about them wanting colon.

2. Alot of what happens with colon depends on what happens with Pettite, if he goes to houston, ny will sign colon, if he stays in ny, then yanks are out.

3. The whitesox do have a deal on the table worth in the ball park of 3 years 30 million with no deffered money.

After hearing this guy talk about the situation, it is still very shaky where he will end up but it seems like it is now down to Sox, Angels, and Yankees.

My guess is that once pettite decision is announced, then colon will fall into place rather quickly it seems.

nodiggity59
12-05-2003, 01:52 AM
If the Angels offer is deferred cash, then Id say ours is better.

hold2dibber
12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
If the Angels offer is deferred cash, then Id say ours is better.

I'm no accountant, but $48 million is a lot more than $30 million, even if some of the $48 million is deferred. Unless a LOT of it is deferred over a VERY long time period, I'm pretty sure the $48 million is a significantly better deal.

chisoxjk
12-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm no accountant, but $48 million is a lot more than $30 million, even if some of the $48 million is deferred. Unless a LOT of it is deferred over a VERY long time period, I'm pretty sure the $48 million is a significantly better deal.

I don't think we can say for sure withour knowing any details. Is it 4 yrs guaranteed? It it 3 with a mutual option for the fourth?

If the Angels are insane enough to guarantee a pitcher four years, then see ya Colon. Four years for pitcher is too much of a risk.

jabrch
12-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Rotoworld says that if Anaheim gets Colon, they will be looking to trade Washburn. I wouldn't mind him as a lefthanded starter. (Not that we are in need of a LHP) Other than having a bad year last year, he has been fairly good since becoming a full time starter in mid-2000.

Buehlre
Loaiza
Garland
Perez, Ponson, Washburn, Garcia (chose 2)

That's a solid 5 man rotation.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2003, 12:42 PM
If you read the Chicago papers today you'll see where they reported that the Angels four year, 48 million offer was legit.

However.....here's where I (and apparently others) have no idea what the hell is going on.

Remember when the Sox made their initial offer of 3 years, 36 million to Bartolo, his agent was quoted directly as saying that the number of years was fine, it was the money being offered that was the issue. (deferred)

Well today in one of the Chicago papers, they quote two sources close to the Colon camp as stating the real issue was the number of years! That Colon is expecting four years!

Does anybody have any idea what the hell is the truth or has Colon's agent changed horses in mid stream? If he does now in fact, want four years, there's no way Colon's coming back. The Sox won't give that to him.

Lip