PDA

View Full Version : Texas willing to trade Arod to the Red Sox

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, the final piece has fallen. Arod wants it. Manny wants it. The Red Sox want it. But the Rangers have held this thing up. According to the latest report, the Rangers are now willing to trade Arod as long as they get Manny in return and the Red Sox eat all of Arod's contract, as well as some of Manny's. How likely that is, I don't know as I doubt Boston wants to pay any of Manny's salary if they're going to be on the hook for Arod's, but it is an interesting development nonetheless as the 4th part of the trade seems like it may final be coming around.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1678487)

Here comes Nomar!

nodiggity59
12-04-2003, 10:38 PM
What is Nomar's contract like anyhow? Does he have a no trade clause cause Ive heard he'd want to play in LA. We might not even have a chance of getting him.

Plus, if this deal goes through Im worried a Nomar deal to LA could nix our Konerko-Perez thing.

nodiggity59
12-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Another factoid: Matsui seems to be very interested in LA. LA and the Mets look to be the finalists.

Maybe LA wouldn't want Nomar so badly if they got Matsui... of course many have talked about Matsui plaing 2B but then again Nomar would cost a lot more in both talent given up and salary.

I guess the point is they could have Matsui and Pualie for about 13 mil and lose only Perez... or they could have Matsui and Nomar for around 20 mil a year and they'd have to give up more than Perez.

Or maybe Arod will stay in Texas HA!

soxwon
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM
guys i pray this deal comes off because it looks like WE will get nomar and johnny damon for maggs and konerko or koch.
please let this happen please

HITMEN OF 77
12-04-2003, 11:13 PM
THIS ARTICLE THOUGH MAKES NO REFERENCE TO THE WHITE SOX GETTING ANYONE, IT SAYS THEY WOULD DEAL NOMAR TO ANAHEIM OR LA!

Daver
12-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
THIS ARTICLE THOUGH MAKES NO REFERENCE TO THE WHITE SOX GETTING ANYONE, IT SAYS THEY WOULD DEAL NOMAR TO ANAHEIM OR LA!

The Caps lock key is located on the far left side of your keyboard,please use to turn the all caps off.

Chisox_cali
12-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The Caps lock key is located on the far left side of your keyboard,please use to turn the all caps off.

Obviously I missed something, but what's the big deal about the caps?

StepsInSC
12-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Obviously I missed something, but what's the big deal about the caps?

Its considered yelling.

HITMEN OF 77
12-05-2003, 12:59 AM
It's also means I didn't have my contacts in and couldn't see the lower case letters. :cool:

MRKARNO
12-05-2003, 01:10 AM
FYI, Nomar is due 11.5 mil in 2004 and that's the end of the contract and Damon is due 8 mil in '04 and 8.5 mil in '05

Chisox_cali
12-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Its considered yelling.

Right but what's the problem, it's not like it was an insult in all caps. And it's just text, text does not convey emotion.

kermittheefrog
12-05-2003, 03:51 AM

ASTUTE OBSERVATION

jabrch
12-05-2003, 08:59 AM
its team leader for Magglio and a bad contract? I don't quite get this? They couldn't get more for Nomar AND Damon then Magglio who is 1 year away from FA and simultaneously absorbing one of two terrible contracts?

I don't get it. Why does anyone belive Boston would even consider this?

Brian26
12-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Likewise, looking at it from a financial standpoint, I don't know why anyone would believe the White Sox would consider it either. The whole point of sending Maggs away is to rid ourselves of his $13 million dollar contract, in addition to Koch or Konerko's extra money. Yet, with the trade, we'd be taking on Nomar's 11.5 mil and Damon's 8 mil. Unless Boston eats about half of those two salaries coming our way, the trade just doesn't make sense. As it stands, it would almost be a wash from a contract standpoint. I like the talent coming our way, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it will happen though.

hold2dibber
12-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
its team leader for Magglio and a bad contract? I don't quite get this? They couldn't get more for Nomar AND Damon then Magglio who is 1 year away from FA and simultaneously absorbing one of two terrible contracts?

If they had A-Rod, they'd obviously look to move Nomar (who, like Maggs, is entering his last year under contract). They would need to replace Manny in the outfield. Under those circumstances, I could see them trading Nomar for Maggs straight up, even though that would mean adding $3 mm in payroll for them. But I don't think they'd be likely to agree to throw in Damon for Koch (although Koch is also entering his contract year, whereas Damon is going to make about $17 million over the next two years).

FarmerAndy
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
This A-ROD to Boston thing is ridiculous. If it was a straight up deal, then maybe. But Texas want Boston to pay all of A-Rod's salary, and a good chunk of Manny's.

Give me one good reason why Boston would do this? Think about it. They would be adding to their payroll, without adding to their production. A-Rod is probably the best player in baseball. But Manny is also one of the most productive offensive players in the game. They'd also have to move Nomar, who's not so bad himself.

So, Boston would be losing Manny's production, and paying some of his salary. Then they bring in A-Rod. A-Rod's production makes up for the loss of Manny, but you have to pay all of his salary, which is greater than Manny's. You move Nomar, and probably get equal production in return.

Does this make Boston better? No. It just makes them way more expensive. This deal will NEVER happen.

Hondo
12-05-2003, 12:44 PM
It will only happen if it's straight up.

There is no way Boston pays Manny's salary. No WAY!!!

And if they do then I will lose all respect for Theo and Lucky Lucchino.

HITMEN OF 77
12-05-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't see why some of the Chi Sox fans are all excited. Nomar wouldn't come here, he would go to LA or ANA. Secondly we wouldn't want him, he becomes a free agent after next year and then what?

Deadguy
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM

It depends on whether or not Nomar has an no-trade clause or not.

He's made it perfectly clear that he wants to play on the West Coast, which would rule the White Sox as a trade option.

If he doesn't have a trade clause, then the Red Sox could trade him anywhere they want, obviously.

joecrede
12-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Per ESPN.com, A-Rod-for-Many deal likely to happen within 24-72 hours. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1687013)

Nomar to Dodgers for Perez is mentioned as the next likely move. Meaning Maggs won't be going there. Seattle, Baltimore, California?

DirtySouthsider
12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Per ESPN.com, A-Rod-for-Many deal likely to happen within 24-72 hours. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1687013)

Nomar to Dodgers for Perez is mentioned as the next likely move. Meaning Maggs won't be going there. Seattle, Baltimore, California?

In the article I thought it said that Nomar would go to LA , perez to boston...then boston was looking to move perez for a left handed bat in the outfield. But maybe there is still some way to Maggs to Boston for Perez? Of course I wouldn't do that deal unless we got more than just Perez!

jamteh
12-15-2003, 08:31 PM
This is just great: The Red Sox haven't won the Series since 1918; the White Sox haven't won since 1917. This offseason, the Red Sox have picked up Curt Schilling, Keith Foulke and maybe/probably Alex Rodriguez. The White Sox have picked up a shortstop who couldn't make it in Colorado. Who do you think has a better chance of ending the streak in 2004?

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 08:44 PM
http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/

Well, they seem to be very excited about it so it's very possible that it's been done, but take it with a grain of salt.

MHOUSE
12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
All of the deals discussed in this thread make little sense.

Ok so the BoSox want nothing to do with Ramirez and who wouldn't want the best player in baseball? But why would Texas want the Red Sox to pay a lot of Ramirez's contract? Straight up with their current contracts, Texas saves a lot of money even when you add back Manny's contract and plus his runs out 3 years sooner IIRC. Boston would be stupid to pay any of Manny's salary.

Then they have to deal Nomar. They handled this all wrong b/c now he's upset and most likely gone anyways after this season, so moving him isn't all bad. But you lose Ramirez and Nomar's production to add A-Rod and more money? You'd have to get back a position player equal to Nomar in a trade and I don't see a that coming from LA or Anaheim and even if it was Adam Kennedy to play 2nd, he's not Nomar. You lose two allstars to gain a new all-world ss and another starter, which is one thing you don't need. It doesn't fit.

Anyone who thinks any of this will affect the Sox is nuts. Nomar wouldn't come here and Boston wouldn't "throw in" Johnny Damon. Why would they want Koch or Konerko and their bad contracts? They have a GOOD closer and they have the league's best DH. Unless they want to risk another Bill Buckner with Pauly booting one, they'll steer clear. No way this deal goes down the way they're talking. Boston would be stupid.

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Anyone who thinks any of this will affect the Sox is nuts. Nomar wouldn't come here and Boston wouldn't "throw in" Johnny Damon. Why would they want Koch or Konerko and their bad contracts? They have a GOOD closer and they have the league's best DH. Unless they want to risk another Bill Buckner with Pauly booting one, they'll steer clear. No way this deal goes down the way they're talking. Boston would be stupid.

I think that anyone who doesnt think this could affect the sox is nuts. This could mean that the Mota/Jackson/Perez deal could be off the table, though I dont know why the dodgers would take Nomar over Maggs, unless the media pressures them into doing that.

It also could mean that Maggs might end up a red sock to take the place of manny if the bosox could pull off a 3 way trade with LA where LA gets Nomar, Boston gets Maggs and Chicago gets the pitching package.

This trade will send shockwaves all over the MLB and the White SOx will be near the epicenter.

But as far as the nomar, damon trade is concerned, I dont see that happening, but the above mentioned scenarios seem likely

duke of dorwood
12-15-2003, 09:38 PM
It's also means I didn't have my contacts in and couldn't see the lower case letters. :cool:

:KW

I make deals without my contacts in

MisterB
12-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
...though I dont know why the dodgers would take Nomar over Maggs, unless the media pressures them into doing that.

Nomar's $2.5M cheaper and can put up similar numbers to Maggs while playing a more demanding defensive position.

rahulsekhar
12-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Got this from a friend of mine who's a crazy diehard BoSox fan. Unconfirmed, but would make sense based on everything flying around.

Arod for Manny
then
Nomar for Odalis Perez and a top prospect (some young "can't miss" arm)
then
Odalis Perez, Kim, and prospect to CWS for Magglio Ordonez

To me, this is a stripped down version of the deal reported in the Trib today. For that reason, I think the BoSox should include a decent (not stud) prospect. But regardless, I think this is very likely. Then (hopefully), we can still turn around Konerko for Garcia. to round out the rotation.

CubKilla
12-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
:KW

I make deals without my contacts in

*****!!!!! Berry/Barry anyone? :gulp: