PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Mets Interested in Maggs

SouthSideHitman
12-04-2003, 09:02 PM
I heard that the Mets were interested in Maggs, which could be a mixed blessing. If KW has to trade Maggs, the Mets would be the team to do it with because I'm sure Koch would have to be a part of the deal. I don't know who we'd be getting in return maybe Jae Weong Seo, a fourth outfielder and a coupla prospects. Given that this would free the Sox of about $20 million for next year, this wouldn't be a terrible move. Of course that all assumes that Boston won't give us that sweetheart deal. *rolls eyes*

jabrch
12-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Unless one of those prospects is named REYES I have no interest.

oldcomiskey
12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
dont trade ordonez for prospects unless you have to---I would consider Piazza and very few other players the mets have if Magglio is involved

Daver
12-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
dont trade ordonez for prospects unless you have to---I would consider Piazza and very few other players the mets have if Magglio is involved

Why in the hell would you want Piazza?

Hondo
12-04-2003, 09:19 PM
It depends on what that 20 mil is used for. If you could resign Alomar and Colon. Pickup some value at 1B (assuming Konerko is dealt) and some relief help then you have to think about it.

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Why in the hell would you want Piazza?

Yeah seriously. The point of trading Maggs is to free up some salary. Piazza is owed $15 million next year. So we'd be getting a broken down "catcher" who makes 1 million more than Maggs. If true I'd want Reyes (not likely) or Kazmir (not likely). Heilman is probably one of the few realistic possibilities that I would want. That said, the Mets are supposedly looking to add Johnny Damon and/or Trot Nixon from the BoSox.

PaulDrake
12-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Trade Ordonez. Trade Konerko. Trade Lee. The players supposedly being offered make me clench my teeth and stifle a scream. This team needs a second baseman, center fielder and at least one good starter and one good reliever. It doesn't look like there is anything down on the farm to offer immediate help. I'm not real thrilled with how things are going at this point. I know, I know. It's only December.

Tragg
12-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey paul, you're stealing my motif.

Better be a hell of a package of prospects to trade maggs. Piazza? good lord. What's with all of the Met rumors anyway?

OfficerKarkovice
12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Give me Jose Reyes and Scott Kazmir and we've got a deal.

oldcomiskey
12-06-2003, 05:59 PM
you misunderstood---I dont want Piazza either--I was just saying hes the only player the Mets have that is closest to magglio offensively

TheRockinMT
12-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Maggs and Koch for a 4th OF'er and a couple prospects? Puhhhh-lllleeeassseeee...

I think the off season has gotten to you Southsidehitman!

DrCrawdad
12-06-2003, 06:18 PM
How about Maggs for Royce Ring?

DrCrawdad
12-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Unless one of those prospects is named REYES I have no interest.

Sox trade Maggs for Reyes to set a record for the number of shortstops acquired in a month.

RichH55
12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sox trade Maggs for Reyes to set a record for the number of shortstops acquired in a month.

Hey if Kaz is headed to NY...then Reyes can at least be talked about in trade talks

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hey if Kaz is headed to NY...then Reyes can at least be talked about in trade talks

If the Sox trade for Reyes, Valentin better get dealt. I don't see that happening.

DrCrawdad
12-06-2003, 06:48 PM

You're right. And if you're certain that the Sox have someone ready to step-in for Maggs next year then it might be worthwhile pursuing.

cornball
12-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Give the Mets credit for trying to steal thunder from their cross town rival and improve their team.

RichH55
12-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
You're right. And if you're certain that the Sox have someone ready to step-in for Maggs next year then it might be worthwhile pursuing.

Answering SS for the next 5 years isnt bad either:) Reed/Borchard/Anderson we have some options in the system OF wise

Daver
12-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Answering SS for the next 5 years isnt bad either Reed/Borchard/Anderson we have some options in the system OF wise

Borchard maybe,Reed has played about thirty games above the single A level,and Anderson is coming off wrist surgery and has never even played in A ball.

RichH55
12-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Borchard maybe,Reed has played about thirty games above the single A level,and Anderson is coming off wrist surgery and has never even played in A ball.

I was thinking Borchard and Reed more in present term...but Anderson is in the mix in the next few years...playing Joe in RF and getting a guy like Payton for Cf(or flip those if you want)...makes sense

jordan23ventura
12-07-2003, 01:25 AM
I don't see the Mets taking on any high level free agents or doing anything huge trade-wise this year, especially for players with only one year left on their contract. Koch was different. 6mil is different than 14mil. And remember, they tried to give us a 10mil pinch runner. Ugh!

gosox41
12-07-2003, 07:05 AM

I'm not saying Reed is ready for the bigs this second, but didn't Reed have about 250 at bats in AA in which he hit above .400?

Bob

chisoxt
12-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Better be a hell of a package of prospects to trade maggs.

This is the problem. In today's baseball economic climate, money rules and based on the results of the other 'salary dump'
trades made this year, Mags and especially Konerko will not bring much in return.