PDA

View Full Version : Brewers to "Open the Books"

jabrch
12-04-2003, 04:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1678190

Now I know you can keep multiple sets of books - but if the 3 "businessmen" are at all skilled as forensic accountants and know anything about the business of baseball, this could be pretty cool. Wouldn't we love to see Jerry open the books?

cornball
12-04-2003, 04:44 PM
The thing that is amazing is you have teams with payrolls of 30 million on the low end and 170+ on the high end (or whatever the Yakees have). Seems like they should be in seperate leagues almost...LOL

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by cornball
The thing that is amazing is you have teams with payrolls of 30 million on the low end and 170+ on the high end (or whatever the Yakees have). Seems like they should be in seperate leagues almost...LOL

Milwaukee was a minor league city for over 50 years. Why they think they're entitled to compete head-to-head with cities the size of New York is just one more example of the fanciful delusions created by Bud Selig.

:tool
"Umm, err... we supported the Braves... at least while they were still good."

kittle42
12-04-2003, 05:12 PM
The Brewers? Those must be more like pamphlets than books.

cornball
12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Milwaukee was a minor league city for over 50 years. Why they think they're entitled to compete head-to-head with cities the size of New York is just one more example of the fanciful delusions created by Bud Selig.

"Umm, err... we supported the Braves... at least while they were still good."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1677264

Hey Geoge, tell me how this is fair. This is a Gammons piece about salaries of the Yanks and Bosox spending on pitching. The Yankees with an estimated 70-75MM pitching staff alone. Their lowest salaried player being Soriano who could make close to 5MM in arbitration. The system is wrong, they need to change it so we can have a chance. No complaints, it just hard to race a horse when your on a donkey.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Hey George, tell me how this is fair. This is a Gammons piece about salaries of the Yanks and Bosox spending on pitching. The Yankees with an estimated 70-75MM pitching staff alone. Their lowest salaried player being Soriano who could make close to 5MM in arbitration. The system is wrong, they need to change it so we can have a chance. No complaints, it just hard to race a horse when your on a donkey.

I never said it was fair. I simply noted Milwaukee has been a minor league city far longer than any fanciful delusions Bud Selig would have America and his fellow cheeseheads believe. The TV and radio money disparity between NYC and Milwaukee has always been huge, and it's a plain fact that this will *never* change.

MLB isn't the NFL where everything is shared equally so that even tiny towns like Green Bay can support an NFL franchise as well as New York.

Of course redistributing the wealth has its downsides, too. Thanks to the NFL's revenue sharing policies, Los Angeles doesn't have a franchise but Green Bay does. That would *never* happen in MLB.

cornball
12-04-2003, 09:42 PM
PHG, I agree with you. It would be interesting to see the books of the teams at the top...Boston, NYY ect.

It doesnt add up.

I am sure Daver thoughts would be great on the topic. He follows it more than anyone else.

Daver
12-04-2003, 10:06 PM
PHG, I agree with you. It would be interesting to see the books of the teams at the top...Boston, NYY ect.

It doesnt add up.

I am sure Daver thoughts would be great on the topic. He follows it more than anyone else.

You don't want my thoughts on this,cause I don't feel there is anything wrong with the system.

MLB has had this system for thirty years,and now all of a sudden it is wrong? I don't get it.

As far as the books goes,do you really think they are going to show anything other than what almost got Bud hit with a perjury case the last time he was on Capitol Hill? Let's be realistic here.

If you really want to fix MLB it would have to start with an automanous commisioner,I really doubt the other 31 owners would agree to it though.

vegyrex
12-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Daver

If you really want to fix MLB it would have to start with an automanous commisioner,I really doubt the other 31 owners would agree to it though.

So true.

I just don't consider Selig a real commisioner.

Give me Peter Ueberroth.

Daver
12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
So true.

I just don't consider Selig a real commisioner.

Give me Peter Ueberroth.

Great idea,then he can send another memo to all the teams about not offering FA's any contracts and have another 257 million dollar settlement filed against the league.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Man it's gotta suck to be a Brewers fan. You think we have complaints?

"Why's everybody always picking on me?"

nasox
12-05-2003, 09:23 PM
two words: REVENUE SHARING

selig, look at the NFL, or get a clue

nasox
12-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Man it's gotta suck to be a Brewers fan. You think we have complaints?

I thought there weren't any left :D:

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by nasox
two words: REVENUE SHARING

selig, look at the NFL, or get a clue

Dont let Daver see that. :smile:

Daver
12-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Dont let Daver see that. :smile:

Many of the problems that MLB has right now would be solved by the owners agreeing to revenue sharing similar to the way the NFL does it.Getting the owners to buy it is another question.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Many of the problems that MLB has right now would be solved by the owners agreeing to revenue sharing similar to the way the NFL does it.Getting the owners to buy it is another question.

I agree with that. I thought you were against the NFL way though?

Daver
12-05-2003, 11:17 PM
I agree with that. I thought you were against the NFL way though?

Where did you get that impression?

I have a bad habit of correcting people that compare NFL contracts to MLB contracts,mostly because they have no idea that NFL contracts are not worth the paper they are written on,but for the most part the NFL business model works well.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Where did you get that impression?

I have a bad habit of correcting people that compare NFL contracts to MLB contracts,mostly because they have no idea that NFL contracts are not worth the paper they are written on,but for the most part the NFL business model works well.

I had a brawl going with you about all this and i thought you were against a salary cap with non-guarenteed contracts because scumbag owners like KC and minny would use it to stay young and cheap while pocketing other teams profits. Along with trading players for draft picks.

Daver
12-05-2003, 11:26 PM
I had a brawl going with you about all this and i thought you were against a salary cap with non-guarenteed contracts because scumbag owners like KC and minny would use it to stay young and cheap while pocketing other teams profits. Along with trading players for draft picks.

All of that has nothing to do with revenue sharing.Bill Veeck tried to introduce revenue sharing to MLB in the sixties,before Free Agency ever existed.

And I will only repeat what I have said in the past,a salary cap does nothing but increase the owners profit margin,no more,and no less.

RedPinStripes
12-05-2003, 11:36 PM

And I will only repeat what I have said in the past,a salary cap does nothing but increase the owners profit margin,no more,and no less.

I agree with that, but how do you stop a team like KC from pocketing revenue sharing and not putting it on the field? The main part i dont like about the way baseball is set up is these guarenteed contracts. Owners like Tom Hicks are dumb enough to offer long term deals like that though.

TornLabrum
12-06-2003, 08:50 AM
The problem with MLB doing the revenue sharing is in the way MLB handles television. All NFL broadcasts are on broadcast network or cable network TV. There are no local telecasts. On the other hand most MLB broadcasts are local with only a few games a week going out to the networks.

I'm not familiar with how the NBA handles TV money, but that is the comparable organization to look at.