PDA

View Full Version : Colon news

windycityson
12-04-2003, 04:46 PM
This is coming from George Offman saying that Colon's agent said Colon is seriously considering the Sox offer of a 3 year/ $30 million contract.

I think this would be great keeping our 1-2-3 starting pitching in tact. I also believe that if Colon stays here, he will have a much better season than last year. Plus with Buehrle pitching as well as he did in the second half, we will, I feel, win the division.

Rocky Soprano
12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Where did you hear this/read this?

Man I hope its true! I would also like to keep him. I think we are paying too much but I would love to keep him.

doublem23
12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

Man I hope its true! I would also like to keep him. I think we are paying too much but I would love to keep him.

As was said before, he's a near lock to eat up 200+ innings... That's worth $10 million easily.

Brian26
12-04-2003, 04:49 PM

Is this from the same clown who reported this morning that the Sox had signed Alfonseca for 2 years/$7 mil?

DirtySouthsider
12-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Is it 3 years 30 mil or 3 years 36 mil that the Sox offered?

Either way...I'm starting to get excited!

Baby Fisk
12-04-2003, 04:52 PM
I'd chip in for some Krispy Kremes to keep him happy and in the rotation. Stay Bart Stay! And if you happen to be browsing this site, please forget about all those postings where we rip the guts out of you. :smile:

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
As was said before, he's a near lock to eat up 200+ innings... That's worth $10 million easily.
Agreed
Is this from the same clown who reported this morning that the Sox had signed Alfonseca for 2 years/$7 mil?
No.
Is it 3 years 30 mil or 3 years 36 mil that the Sox offered?
I heard yesterday morning on the score that the Sox offered Colon 3yrs/30million, none deferred like the previous offer.

Colon, Buehrle, Loaiza, and possibly Perez...I suppose that would be a decent 1-4.

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 04:53 PM

Sports Weekly reported our 30 million/3 years/no money deffered offer but didn't comment on Colon's reaction.

joecrede
12-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Bruce Levine reported the Sox and Colon have not talked recently and the Angels are in pursuit of him. I hope Offman's report is accurate, but I trust Levine more here.

rmusacch
12-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Who reported that?

Frank the Tank
12-04-2003, 04:56 PM
If it is true that Anaheim offered Colon 4yr/$48M why would he consider the sox 3yr./$30M offer? It doesn't make much sense.

doublem23
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
If it is true that Anaheim offered Colon 4yr/$48M why would he consider the sox 3yr./$30M offer? It doesn't make much sense.

A) Colon has expressed a lot of interest in staying in Chicago

B) Who knows if Anahiem put "shady numbers" in that deal, like some here think the Sox did originally.

Palehose13
Maybe some of Anaheim's offer is deferred like the first Sox offer. It looks to me like Bart wants the cash now.

Tekijawa
Colon's not a moron... Any one would seriously consider a 3/30 contract. I'll bet he'll consider a 3/36 even more seriously. and who knows what he'll get offered when the Yankee's and Red Sox have completely removed the word budget from their vocabularies... if it hasn't been removed already!

windycityson
12-04-2003, 05:02 PM
I heard it on the Score on my way home from work about 30 minutes ago on the news portion with George Offman. Unfortunately, you will have to listen to Mike North to hear it, but nonetheless, good news for us.

Frank the Tank
12-04-2003, 05:02 PM
If Colon signs for 3yr./$30M his next move should be firing his agent. Colon would look pretty stupid turning down 3/36 for 3/30.

doublem23
12-04-2003, 05:04 PM
If Colon signs for 3yr./$30M his next move should be firing his agent. Colon would look pretty stupid turning down 3/36 for 3/30.

Contracts are more than just money and years. If what's been speculated about the Sox's original contract is true and the new one is very straight up, it's a much better deal.

windycityson
12-04-2003, 05:05 PM

That money would have been deferred over more than the 3 years. This contract gives him the $30m during the 3 years.

nodiggity59
12-04-2003, 05:07 PM
God if we did that and got Perez, then Garland would be our 5th starter....

IT'S BEGINING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59

It would be awesome, Im a little worried about getting excited but its so hard not to since we have been getting nothing but bad news!

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59

That would be a beautiful thing. Let it snow....on the way to a fantastic starting rotation.

Remember what Ozzie said at his introdcutory press conference -- give me six pitchers -- five great starters and a closer.

BeerHandle
12-04-2003, 06:04 PM

ESPN.Com is reporting that Colon has a four year deal on the table from the Anaheim.

kittle42
12-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
That would be a beautiful thing. Let it snow....on the way to a fantastic starting rotation.

Remember what Ozzie said at his introdcutory press conference -- give me six pitchers -- five great starters and a closer.

Thank goodness we have Billy Koch!

Win1ForMe
12-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
ESPN.Com is reporting that Colon has a four year deal on the table from the Anaheim.

Actually, ESPN is reporting that the New York Post is reporting that Colon might have received a four year offer from Anaheim. NYP is very inaccurate, FWIW.

Tekijawa
12-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Actually, ESPN is reporting that the New York Post is reporting that Colon might have received a four year offer from Anaheim. NYP is very inaccurate, FWIW.

And I'm sure the Rumors that he's close on the 3/30 contract from the Sox As reported on WhiteSoxInterative is much more credible

ukigdog
12-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Actually, they are somewhat credible, it was said on the Score today, listen to it at 6 when they do the update on the news. He seems to say it at the top of the hour. Take if for what it is, i dunno why the score would lie to us?

Win1ForMe
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
And I'm sure the Rumors that he's close on the 3/30 contract from the Sox As reported on WhiteSoxInterative is much more credible

Well, what is one have to do with the other? They could both be wrong.

ukigdog
12-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Im not saying that they have anything to do with one another, im just saying that they are both credible, and if they are both true who knows which hell chose.

Daver
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by windycityson
That money would have been deferred over more than the 3 years.

Teams are not allowed to defer money for more than two years after the end of the contract,as per the new CBA that the players signed in August.

OfficerKarkovice
12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Teams are not allowed to defer money for more than two years after the end of the contract,as per the new CBA that the players signed in August.

I believe he meant the money would be deferred over "more than the 3 years" of the contract. Thus illustrating the meaning of the word deferred I guess.

Hondo
12-04-2003, 08:00 PM
For the NY Post, remember their unofficial slogan "We occasionally print in English."

Is it me or do you laugh every time you read a thread with Colon's name in it? I can't wait for a Colon Cleansing thread.

I keep wondering, if Colon is this fat now in a contract year he'll weight 3 bills at the end of a deal.

But if we can get him we have to. A patchwork starting rotation doesn't take you into October.

Brian26
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

The Koch-Foulke trade was broken here 3 days before it happened. WSI can be very credible.

JDP
12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Hondo

I keep wondering, if Colon is this fat now in a contract year he'll weight 3 bills at the end of a deal.

Who is the fattest pitcher to ever toe the rubber, either on a daily basis out of the pen, or every 3-5 days out of the rotation?

windycityson
12-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Who is the fattest pitcher to ever toe the rubber, either on a daily basis out of the pen, or every 3-5 days out of the rotation?

Ken Bottenfield comes to mind......didn't Cecil Fielder pitch in a game once. Mike Fetters is portly bastard himself. Those immediately come to mind.

Hondo
12-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Who is the fattest pitcher to ever toe the rubber, either on a daily basis out of the pen, or every 3-5 days out of the rotation? '

CC Sabathia comes to mind

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2003, 09:26 PM
How about Rod Beck today? Or, in the not too distant past, Big Daddy Rick Reuschel? Both get their clothes at the Big & Tall shops.

SMO
:gulp:

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Don't forget Rich Garces.

Daver
12-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Former White Sox pitcher,now Sox farmhand Carlos Castillo comes to mind.

jimrio1970
12-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Terry Forester - The Fat Tub of Goo

Also Babe Ruth when he was with the Yankees and forced into a mop up role after eating six hot dogs.

joecrede
12-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Fernando, Alex/Sid Fernandez. Terry Forester was huge at the end though.

OfficerKarkovice
12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Former White Sox pitcher,now Sox farmhand Carlos Castillo comes to mind.

There's the first guy I thought of...

JaylisJP
12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
whoever said we'd be paying him too much, this just flat out wrong. Colon is one of the best production pictures in both leagues, throws 99 in the 8th and has a great killer instinct. For some reason, the Sox turn good players into Paul Konerkos when they first get here, and then we don't wait around long enough for them to get better again. Colon will be really strong next year wherever he plays, hopefully with the Sox.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Answer...Mickey Lolich. There was a reason opposing players used to yell at him...'hey buddy, one man to a pair of pants out there!'

Didn't seen to bother his pitching though, he was great.

and Terry Forster was not fat when he pitched for the Sox in the early 70's.

Lip

duke of dorwood
12-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Beat me to that one, Lip-good ole #29

windycityson
12-04-2003, 11:30 PM
YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!!!

DAVID WELLS

JDP
12-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Bartolo Colon, as a rookie in 1997: 5'11" 185lbs
Bartolo Colon, as of later in 2003: 5'11" 240lbs

Talk about letting yourself go. +65 lbs. Yeesh.
Even fatty David Wells is only 230lbs, and he is 6'4"

The "biggest" guy in the game today has to be:
C.C. Sabathia: 6'7" 290lbs

All-time? Still up in the air....

santo=dorf
12-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by windycityson
YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!!!

DAVID WELLS

Thanks for bringing back all of the great memories!

Tekijawa
12-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JDP
"biggest" guy in the game today has to be:

My guess is that Cecil Fielder's @$$ has to weigh about 240, the rest of him had to be more than 50 pounds! I'm putting my chips on Fielder

SoxOnTop
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Bartolo Colon, as a rookie in 1997: 5'11" 185lbs
Bartolo Colon, as of later in 2003: 5'11" 240lbs

Talk about letting yourself go. +65 lbs. Yeesh.
Even fatty David Wells is only 230lbs, and he is 6'4"

The "biggest" guy in the game today has to be:

There is no way that Colon was 5'11 185 when he was rook. He would actually have looked normal. The guy always had some weight on him.

Jjav829
12-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
There is no way that Colon was 5'11 185 when he was rook. He would actually have looked normal. The guy always had some weight on him.

I wouldn't say that is so far off. They may have taken a little off, but he wasn't that big as a rookie. Check out his rookie card...

Bartolo Colon rookie card (http://www.homeruncards.com/rookiecards/bartolo-colon-rookie-card.shtml)

185 isn't that far off.

santo=dorf
12-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I wouldn't say that is so far off. They may have taken a little off, but he wasn't that big as a rookie. Check out his rookie card...

Bartolo Colon rookie card (http://www.homeruncards.com/rookiecards/bartolo-colon-rookie-card.shtml)

185 isn't that far off.
OMG! Is the food in Cleveland that good?

FarmerAndy
12-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Colon is no David Wells. Have you ever gone to a game early on a day when Colon is pitching? Ever see him stretch and warm up?

He may be fat, but the guy can still sit down, stretch his legs, lean forward and touch his head to the ground without bending his knees. I'm only 5"11, 185 pounds, and I've never been able to do that.

Colon is fat. So what? He's still more limber than anybody on this message board who's making fun of his weight. If he ever spends some serious time on the disabaled list as a result of his weight, then you may have an argument. But right now, I don't know how anybody can make the Wells comparison. Both are heavy, yes. But that doesn't make Colon the same as Wells. Is Frank Thomas just like David Wells, because they both have shaved heads?

The bottom line is, Colon is better than any starting pitcher we currently have. (Loazia may be decent, but last year was way above what we should expect from him.) The White Sox will win more games with Colon than they will without him.

maurice
12-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Colon is no David Wells.

Right. It's well-known that Wells's beer belly aggravates his chronic back problems. OTOH, Colon has a history of being an absolute horse. Notwithstanding his rotunditude, Colon is much less of an injury risk than, say, the svelte Pedro Martinez.

Dub25
12-05-2003, 03:10 PM
I heard today by George Offman as well that Anaheim's offer of 48 million may not be accurate. It is very likely it's way below but he didn't say how much.

soxruleEP
12-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jimrio1970
Terry Forester - The Fat Tub of Goo

Also Babe Ruth when he was with the Yankees and forced into a mop up role after eating six hot dogs.

babe ruth was a GREAT pitcher before he was moved permanently to the outfield (which you may have known but I can't tell from your post's wording).