PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds Testifies in steroid probe

Rocky Soprano
12-04-2003, 03:38 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031204/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/athletes_steroids_6

Win1ForMe
12-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Check out Barry's "man purse" in that AP photo.

FanOf14
12-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Does anyone here think he took some of the designer 'roids?

Eddie Gaedel
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

hell yes! check him out in his rookie year:
http://www.geocities.com/ppicking/og-21.jpg

PaulDrake
12-04-2003, 04:54 PM
I hope all of this comes out even though I think if it does it will rock baseball to its foundations like nothing since that little incident in 1919.

washington
12-04-2003, 04:55 PM
I recently saw video of Bonds batting in 1998, he is dramatically bigger now than he was then, it's hard for me to believe that an athelete in his mid-30s can put on that much muscle mass in such a short time without some "juice"

FanOf14
12-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel

LOL! Thanks sooooooooooo much I really needed a laugh after today. :D:

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel

LMAO too! Good one, Eddie!

SMO
:gulp:

vegyrex
12-04-2003, 10:46 PM

Yes.

What gets me is how Barry shows such disdain for Babe Ruth and Babe didn't need any special "supplements" or intense weight training.

All Babe needed was beer, hotdogs and lots of hookers. :smile:

santo=dorf
12-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Check out Barry's "man purse" in that AP photo.
Have to store the syringes somewhere.

Deadguy
12-05-2003, 01:23 PM

I find it hard to believe that some people still think Barroids put on all that muscle naturally.

MarkEdward
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Yes.

What gets me is how Barry shows such disdain for Babe Ruth and Babe didn't need any special "supplements" or intense weight training.

On the other hand, Babe Ruth only played against white players. Bonds is playing against the best talent in the world.

PaulDrake
12-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
On the other hand, Babe Ruth only played against white players. Bonds is playing against the best talent in the world. Whenever I hear that tired old mantra I think of guys like Warren Spahn and Stan Musial. They started their careers when baseball was all white. By 1956 the National League had minority players in significant numbers, including Willie Mays, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson, Sandy Amoros, Don Newcombe, Roberto Clemente, Junior Gilliam, Roy Campanella, Billy Bruton, Brooks Lawrence, Gene Baker, Bill White and an aging Jackie Robinson among others. Spahn and Musial made the transition from all white to integrated baseball just fine. There is no reason to think that Babe Ruth wouldn't have fared as well had baseball made the change in his era. Another thing to consider is that the Negro Leagues were top heavy in position players. They really lacked depth in the pitching department although there were superstars like Bullet Bill Rogan, Hilton Smith and the great Satchel Paige. Had baseball been open to non white players when Ruth played most of those who would have made it to the ML would have been position players. Before anyone gets huffy, I have the greatest respect for the players of the old Negro League and nothing can ever be said or done to make up for the indiginities they suffered. My two favorite Negro League players John Henry Lloyd and Oscar Charleston were in their primes at the time of Ruth and surely would have starred on some ML team if given the opportunity. No steroids for them either. I badly want to see all of the "record breaking" modern day players who used steroids get their commupance.

vegyrex
12-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
On the other hand, Babe Ruth only played against white players. Bonds is playing against the best talent in the world.

And that's why Barry has to "juice" himself up?

MarkEdward
12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
There is no reason to think that Babe Ruth wouldn't have fared as well had baseball made the change in his era.

I would pretty much agree. Babe Ruth was a completely dominant baseball player. I believe he would have played well in any era of the game. I wasn't arguing that. My point is that he was not playing against the best available talent at the time.

Another thing to consider is that the Negro Leagues were top heavy in position players.

Hm, I'd have to research this a bit more. Let me check it out, and I'll get back to you.

No steroids for them either. I badly want to see all of the "record breaking" modern day players who used steroids get their commupance.

In what way? Would you like to see their statistics expunged from the record books? Then one can argue that many stats should contain asterisks:
Yet baseball statistics have never existed in a vacuum. Babe Ruth became the sportís chief pantheon dweller without ever competing against a dark-skinned ballplayer. Chuck Klein of the Philadelphia Phillies posted some eye-popping numbers in the 1930s, but he did it in an era when runs were scored in bundles, and he took outrageous advantage of the Baker Bowlís right field fence, which was a mere 280 feet from home plate. Detroit pitcher Hal Newhouser won two most valuable player awards and a plaque in Cooperstown in part by dominating competition that had been thinned out by World War IIís conscription. Sandy Koufax crafted his run of success in the í60s with the help of a swollen strike zone. Also a boon to Koufax was the helpfully designed Dodger Stadium, which included, according to many, an illegally heightened mound. Gaylord Perry succored his Hall of Fame career by often calling upon an illegal spitball pitch. Take any baseball statistic, and something is either inflating or depressing it to some degree.

What's your opinion on the players who took "greenies" 30 years ago?

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
All Babe needed was beer, hotdogs and lots of hookers. :smile:

The Babe's workout regimen would work for me :D: :gulp:

PaulDrake
12-06-2003, 05:56 PM
What's your opinion on the players who took "greenies" 30 years ago? Very good point. They were a form of "speed" as I recall and a number of big names were associated with them, although not much definite was ever determined. Of course they were wrong, but they in no way compare to the designer steroids used by athletes in many major sports today. As far as I'm concerned McGwire, Bonds and Sosa are big frauds and I want them exposed. If that makes me an old grump so be it. I don't think Frank and Maggs use them. How about you? If they do they should ask for their money back. Have a good time on your research on Negro League baseball. There are a lot of myths and legends attached to them and the sad truth is that they kept very poor records. Most of the games they played were not official. If you don't have it get the latest edition of the Baseball Encyclopedia. It has some of the most detailed statistics available on the best Negro League players. Some of the stats may surprise you. Ken Burns landmark documentary on baseball also has some great stuff on this topic. I'm sure you can get it on DVD somewhere. I have it on an ancient VCR. If I lived nearby I'd drop it off at your house and let you borrow it.

MarkEdward
12-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
Very good point. They were a form of "speed" as I recall and a number of big names were associated with them, although not much definite was ever determined.

Sounds kind of like the steroid controversy today. Lot of big names associated with it, not much definite evidence to back the accusations up so far.

Of course they were wrong, but they in no way compare to the designer steroids used by athletes in many major sports today.

Well, hypothetically, both steroids and "greenies" were/are supposed to help the athlete's performance. So I could see some similarities.

As far as I'm concerned McGwire, Bonds and Sosa are big frauds and I want them exposed.

Would you also consider Koufax and Perry frauds based on their actions?

I don't think Frank and Maggs use them. How about you?

I don't think so, although I don't know how that pertains to our conversation.

If they do they should ask for their money back.

Um, I don't think I understand you here. Thomas and Mags are damn good hitters.