PDA

View Full Version : Here come the Royals?

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
I never thought I'd say this but the Royals are terrifying me right now. They resigned Anderson and Leskanic for relatively little money and now they are apparently on the verge of adding Stairs, Mondesi, and Santiago.

Stairs and Mondesi are the type of overlooked players that are actually huge contributors. Stairs has an .860 career OPS and posted a .950 OPS last season. Mondesi has an .820 career OPS and posted a similar figure last season. Santiago isn't spectacular but he's still one of the better run producing catchers out there.

KC's team from last year didn't frighten me all that much but now that they're adding valuable, underrated run producers for cheap I'm frightened. I wish KW could've gotten in on Stairs if we're dealing Paully or Maggs. He has a career .360 OBP.

JRIG
12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I never thought I'd say this but the Royals are terrifying me right now. They resigned Anderson and Leskanic for relatively little money and now they are apparently on the verge of adding Stairs, Mondesi, and Santiago.

Stairs and Mondesi are the type of overlooked players that are actually huge contributors. Stairs has an .860 career OPS and posted a .950 OPS last season. Mondesi has an .820 career OPS and posted a similar figure last season. Santiago isn't spectacular but he's still one of the better run producing catchers out there.

KC's team from last year didn't frighten me all that much but now that they're adding valuable, underrated run producers for cheap I'm frightened. I wish KW could've gotten in on Stairs if we're dealing Paully or Maggs. He has a career .360 OBP.

Stairs would be a great pick up, for us or KC. I'm hoping if the Konerko deal goes down, either Stairs or Jeremy Giambi would be signable for us.

I will say I think KC spent far too much money on a totally mediocre Joe Randa at and probably overpaid for Brian Anderson a bit as well.

SoxxoS
12-04-2003, 02:14 PM
It's a whole different story when a team comes out of nowhere like the Royals did last year. We didn't take them seriously early on. But when it counted, we got the job done. They aren't scaring me just yet. Their rotation included Jose Lima last year, who was completely off his face.

Their rotation as off right now-

Brian Anderson
Appier (off elbow surgery)
RunElvis Hernandez
Darrell May
Miguel Asencio

Scary? No. With that rotation, I'm thinking maybe 80 wins.

They are going to be scrappy and play hard for Pena, and they can't be overlooked. You can bet we won't make the same mistake twice.

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Stairs would be a great pick up, for us or KC. I'm hoping if the Konerko deal goes down, either Stairs or Jeremy Giambi would be signable for us.

I will say I think KC spent far too much money on a totally mediocre Joe Randa at and probably overpaid for Brian Anderson a bit as well.

Yeah they definitely overpaid for Randa. I agree that Anderson is overrated but that said they didn't pay him very much money to resign so I'm not sure that they did overpay.

Wanne
12-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Their rotation doesn't really scare me all that much. The addition of Santiago (who's long in the tooth) is a decent addition for handling the staff...but the addition of Mondesi could turn out actually backfire on them from a chemistry standpoint...the guy is a HUGE pain in the ass. At least they're not standing pat...I'll give them that.

doublem23
12-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Sigh... Didn't we discuss this during the season?

Everyone take a deep breath and say it with me...

Kansas.

City.

Sucks.

Baby Fisk
12-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Sigh... Didn't we discuss this during the season?

Everyone take a deep breath and say it with me...

Kansas.

City.

Sucks.

Korrect-a-mundo.

The last time the Royals were much of a menace, the, er, Sox were wearing short pants...

Just because a team has a yappy former player as their manager doesn't mean they are suddenly a contend.... oops...

Foulke You
12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Also don't forget that the Royals lost Raul Ibanez who was a major contributor of theirs last year. Even if they sign a Raul Mondesi, it is just going to replace the production they lost with Ibanez. And...I'm sorry guys, Matt Stairs is scaring you? He wasn't good enough to stick with the Brewers and a bad Cubs team from a few years ago. Add a few more pounds to Stairs and you have John Kruk, circa mid '90s. :D:

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Also don't forget that the Royals lost Raul Ibanez who was a major contributor of theirs last year. Even if they sign a Raul Mondesi, it is just going to replace the production they lost with Ibanez. And...I'm sorry guys, Matt Stairs is scaring you? He wasn't good enough to stick with the Brewers and a bad Cubs team from a few years ago. Add a few more pounds to Stairs and you have John Kruk, circa mid '90s. :D:

Again just because a GM had an opinion doesn't make it right. Or do GM's never make mistakes? I'm sorry but there are a lot of highly paid people, well regarded people in baseball that are complete idiots. Look at mismanaged franchise's like Detroit and Baltimore. Look at the strides made by intelligent GMs like Riccardi, Beane, and Epstein. All I know is Matt Stairs has consistently got on base at a good clip and hit for power throughout his career and I think those skills are valuable regardless of how much he weighs or what GMs think of him.

doublem23
12-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Matt Stairs is nothing special (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/stairma01.shtml).

Sorry, jeremy. I usually agree with you on a lot of things, but you generally overvalue average/mediocre players. Off the top of my head... D'Angelo Jimenez, Aaron Rowand, and Matt Stairs. I guarantee none of those names will ever appear on the starting lineup card of a World Series champion.

StockdaleForVeep
12-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Your talking about a club that towards the end of the season was scrambling for anyone with an arm to throw for them. They have no staff, starting nor relieving, this was proof when chris george set the record for highest ERA with a winning record.

They can smack the ball but had no pitching, that was also proof when we got hot and took 75% of everythin they threw into left\center at kaufman

jeremyb1
12-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Matt Stairs is nothing special (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/stairma01.shtml).

Sorry, jeremy. I usually agree with you on a lot of things, but you generally overvalue average/mediocre players. Off the top of my head... D'Angelo Jimenez, Aaron Rowand, and Matt Stairs. I guarantee none of those names will ever appear on the starting lineup card of a World Series champion.

Jimenez and Stairs are well above average offensive producers for their position by every statistical evaluation available. My argument with Rowand has never been that he's a great player but that he's not the disaster many WSI posters claim and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we started him in CF.

If you feel so strongly I overate Jimenez and Stairs, I'm curious why you feel that way. You're not really presenting any reasons simply opinion and as was the point of my post you quoted, a person's opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight with me unless they have good reasons to support their opinion.

doublem23
12-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

If you feel so strongly I overate Jimenez and Stairs, I'm curious why you feel that way. You're not really presenting any reasons simply opinion and as was the point of my post you quoted, a person's opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight with me unless they have good reasons to support their opinion.

I don't have a numerical basis for it... Call it a gut feeling, if you will, I just don't see D'Angelo Jimenez and Matt Stairs starting for a team that is honestly going to compete for a World Series. They are fine back-ups and spot fillers for teams rebuilding that don't have a long term answer at second or in the outfield yet. Add to that, Jimenez is on a horrendous team and Stairs is now on an average/slighly above average and their value drops even lower.

It seems that you may have taken my post to be a little harsh. I honestly do agree with a lot of stuff you post, it's just that I feel these two guys aren't anything special and won't make any significant impact on any race for a division. Neither are the worst options, of course, but if the ultimate goal for this franchise is to win a World Series, then we need to look elsewhere.

Just my two cents.

jeremyb1
12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
I don't have a numerical basis for it... Call it a gut feeling, if you will, I just don't see D'Angelo Jimenez and Matt Stairs starting for a team that is honestly going to compete for a World Series. They are fine back-ups and spot fillers for teams rebuilding that don't have a long term answer at second or in the outfield yet. Add to that, Jimenez is on a horrendous team and Stairs is now on an average/slighly above average and their value drops even lower.

It seems that you may have taken my post to be a little harsh. I honestly do agree with a lot of stuff you post, it's just that I feel these two guys aren't anything special and won't make any significant impact on any race for a division. Neither are the worst options, of course, but if the ultimate goal for this franchise is to win a World Series, then we need to look elsewhere.

Just my two cents.

No hard feelings I was just curious what the reasoning was behind your comments, that's all. Again, guys probably would've said the same thing about a Kevin Millar or David Ortiz before Theo Epstein grabbed them up last offseason. All I know is if Konerko or Maggs is out the door we could do a lot worse than Stairs. A key calculation here too is money. Value is every bit as important as ability when you're operating on a tight budget. Stairs isn't one of the best run producers in baseball but none of those players are signable for a couple million dollars. For instance, Maggs is a lot better than Stairs but is he 7 times better? I'm not so sure and he'll most likely make at least 7 times more than Stairs this season.