PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams - Genius At Work...

daveeym
12-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok while I'm in general agreement that the chairman sucks, kenny has no room to work, the cubs are putting us to shame with their moves etc etc etc the more I look at the state of the game I think the Kenny and the Sox are sitting PRETTY. I think they've been sandbagging the division and the entire league.

Think about it, the only reliable and actionable story of the off season for the sox has been - We offered 12 mil a year for 3 years to bartolo who has been a sox for one year (why spend that money, ON BARTOLO, if they're gonna cash in the season). None of the dreaded trades of magg's or lee has occurred. The entire central division has maintained their status quo - Cleveland/Royals, or gotten worse Twins. The yanks and Bosox are about played out on their spending war and plenty of quality that would fill the sox needs is still on the market. The sox still have all their chips to play with.

Kenny wants to win - BADLY - i don't think anyone can disagree there, despite the constraints he has to work with. Last year the everett and alomar moves came out of nowhere and were pleasant surprises. We've yet to lose anyone and still have a solid core of players. I truly believe if everything was as dire as we all believe it to be, kenny would be turning in his resignation by now.

Ghandi is gone, there will be no excuses for guys like crede, rowand, garland not producing this year, if bartolo comes back we've got the same team that had the second best record in the game for the second half of the season, with a manager that should make the game fun and won't be undecipherable by the players.

For everyone that argues on JR's behalf about good business and he's savvy as far as business goes, if that is true of JR, he clearly realizes the stakes with the flubs making a move and the AL Central being as crappy as it is. This town is going to be revved up because of the flubs next year and by fielding a real team from day one the sox can only benefit from that and when the flubs flounder in June the SOX can RULE.

GO SOX

miker
12-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
...and by fielding a real team from day one the sox can only benefit from that and when the flubs flounder in June the SOX can RULE.

GO SOX

I am amused by your youthful enthusiasm. You obviously haven't had the "pleasure" of watching this organization shoot itself in the foot year after year after year...

Hokiesox
12-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by miker
I am amused by your youthful enthusiasm. You obviously haven't had the "pleasure" of watching this organization shoot itself in the foot year after year after year...

Geez, even at 24, I feel I've had enough experience watching the organization implode time after time. Right on Miker.

daveeym
12-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by miker

Oh I've had the pleasure for 20 some odd years now. Personally it's because I like kenny and believes HE wants to win. Also since all the sky is falling threads have not played out yet I'm not cashing it in yet. Also as a whole since the Frank Thomas era has begun the sox have fielded decent teams.

2003 86-76 .531 2nd
2002 81-81 .500 2nd
2001 83-79 .512 3rd
2000 95-67 .586 1st
1999 75-86 .466 2nd
1998 80-82 .493 2nd
1997 80-81 .497 2nd
1996 85-77 .525 2nd
1995 68-76 .472 3rd
1994 67-46 .593 1st
1993 94-68 .580 1st
1992 86-76 .531 3rd
1991 87-75 .537 2nd
1990 94-68 .580 2nd

Considering Cleveland actually fielded a team for many of those years you can't say that this franchise has made no effort during the recent history.

Dadawg_77
12-04-2003, 12:41 PM

The best move the Sox have made this off season was forced upon them. Kenny while having restriction from above, put himself in this postion with contracts of Konerko and Koch.

Brian26
12-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Also as a whole since the Frank Thomas era has begun the sox have fielded decent teams.

I've used that argument before here too. Unfortunately, most people won't settle for 2nd place as an option. Even division titles don't count. You have to win it all.

FanOf14
12-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've used that argument before here too. Unfortunately, most people won't settle for 2nd place as an option. Even division titles don't count. You have to win it all.

Or at least a playoff game or two (preferably at home).

I was thinking about this the other night on the way home from work. My granddad was born in 1917 (last time the Sox won the World Series) and died in July of 1993. He saw the Sox go to the World Series twice after their win the year he was born. That isn't just sad, it's pathetic and a perfectly good reason why most Sox fans won't settle for second or a measly division win.

daveeym
12-04-2003, 12:54 PM

There's no prize for second place so i agree with em on that, but this team has not been treated like the red headed stepchild everyone makes out. Thomas has not lead this team to anything, big moves have not panned out and all-everything minor leaguers have ended up being busts. The effort has been there for 10-15 years for the most part.

This board is so consistently negative it's a amazing. The second anyone tries to post something postive it's ripped to shreds or ignored. I used to get frustrated with the Media etc always focusing on negatives and train wrecks but hey, that's all people really do want. Lets point out everything wrong or make up negatives that way I'm smarter than you because you were too dumb to see it.

Excuse a guy for trying to get some excitement stirring, it's been a bad offseason so far, the first significant snow of the year in chicago is supposedly on its way and it's a miserable thursday to boot.

SluggersAway
12-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I agree Dave. Lots of gluttons for punishment and folks staring in the gutter.

You'd think this board was all about liberal or neocon politics.

BeerHandle
12-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok while I'm in general agreement that the chairman sucks, kenny has no room to work, the cubs are putting us to shame with their moves etc etc etc the more I look at the state of the game I think the Kenny and the Sox are sitting PRETTY. I think they've been sandbagging the division and the entire league.

MLB Winter Baseball meetings (New Orleans - next weekend) haven't even taken place. Relax. If there aren't any moves then you can complain.

dougs78
12-04-2003, 01:09 PM
There's no prize for second place so i agree with em on that, but this team has not been treated like the red headed stepchild everyone makes out. Thomas has not lead this team to anything, big moves have not panned out and all-everything minor leaguers have ended up being busts. The effort has been there for 10-15 years for the most part.

This board is so negative consistently negative it's a amazing. The second anyone tries to post something postive it's ripped to shreds or ignored. I used to get frustrated with the Media etc always focusing on negatives and train wrecks but hey, that's all people really do want. Lets point out everything wrong or make up negatives that way I'm smarter than you because you were too dumb to see it.

Excuse a guy for trying to get some excitement stirring, it's been a bad offseason so far, the first significant snow of the year in chicago is supposedly on its way and it's a miserable thursday to boot.

Here, Here Dave! I admire your optimism and agree that the best way to go through life is to, as the song goes, "accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative." The sad thing is that most people on this board, and in this world for that matter, don't see things that way. I am a sports fan becuase its fun and provides entertainment and hope for glory. I admit that by reading this site too much I lose sight of these reasons and get caught up in the negative energy that permeates the board.

I've fought the anti-pessimism battle before Dave, and I am right behind you in fighting it. However, I've realized that the most important thing is not changing the way other people feel about things, but to not let other people change the way YOU feel about things.

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
I agree Dave. Lots of gluttons for punishment and folks staring in the gutter.

You'd think this board was all about liberal or neocon politics.

I try to be positive, but sometimes it is so hard when some teams are making serious moves to be contenders. We are all here for the same reason, love of the Sox. It's like one big family...many personalities and many different points of view. It would be borig if we were all saying the same thing, wouldn't it???

daveeym
12-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

MLB Winter Baseball meetings (New Orleans - next weekend) haven't even taken place. Relax. If there aren't any moves then you can complain.

Agreed, although I don't think winter meetings have the importance they used to it's more and more just a convention to party at - I still think Kenny's got something up his sleeve.

Originally posted by Palehose13

I try to be positive, but sometimes it is so hard when some teams are making serious moves to be contenders. We are all here for the same reason, love of the Sox. It's like one big family...many personalities and many different points of view. It would be borig if we were all saying the same thing, wouldn't it???

Boring yes. I've been found supplying negatives on this board as well and I've read the previous threads on the negativity before too - the hope wasn't to start another one but to start a discussion about the chance that MAYBE the sox are pulling a bit of a fast one on the league and us because the execution that everyone has said is upon us hasn't begun yet.

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 01:28 PM
to start a discussion about the chance that MAYBE the sox are pulling a bit of a fast one on the league and us because the execution that everyone has said is upon us hasn't begun yet.

I am hoping that you are right about this.

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
In Kenny we trust. In Kenny we trust.

kittle42
12-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

That's right! Nothing will happen in baseball until after December 7 , just like Kenny said.

TornLabrum
12-04-2003, 10:15 PM

And after 86 years, that isn't asking very much, now is it?