PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play armchair GM?

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 12:21 PM
We all have our opinions (some better than others...mine better than none) so how about we give this GM business a shot.

If you wanna participate, start like this:

If I were GM:
Pull the trigger on the Perez/ Konerko trade. Throw in Valentin for prospect(s) or Relief Pitcher. Evans sucks, he might do it.

Pray the Red Sox rumor is true. Send Maggs and Koch over for Nomar and Damon.

Offer R. Alomar a 2 yr/5m contract, offer Everett 6M

Exercise option on Scott Sullivan

The 2004 Sox would look something like this: (Forgive me if I have some numbers wrong, I am new to this!)

Starting Line-up Bench

Pos Player Salary Player Salary
CF Damon 8.0 Uriebe .3
2B R. Alomar 2.5 ????
DH Thomas 6.0 S. Alomar .75
LF Lee 5.0 Rowand .35
RF Everett 6.0 Harris .30
SS Nomar 11.5
1B Daubach .5
3B Crede .3
C Olivo .3

Position player total= 41.8M

Pitching (Here's where I need help...)

Starters Relievers
Player Salary Player Salary
Buerhle 1.5? Marte .4
Loaiza 3.5 Sullivan 3.1
Perez 3.4 Wunsch 0.7
Garland 1.2 ???? 3x
?????
Total pitching salary (but still need 1 starter and 3 relievers) = 13.8M

That puts me at 55.6M with 4 pitchers to get (or use Wrights, Cotts, etc) and a bench player.

Ok...start ripping.... (This is hard!)

**It looked all lined up when I wrote it.

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Guess not :(:

bobj4400
12-04-2003, 01:38 PM
where did this nomar/damon rumor come from?

Dadawg_77
12-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Guess not :(:

It takes more then an hour to put a plan together. Actually this would better to do after the non tender list comes out.

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Offhand, I'd say throwing in Valentin and getting the Red Sox to make that deal is wishful thinking. Also, I like Sullivan a lot but I don't think he's worth 3 million. That's about what Hawkins and Quantril got and they're elite relievers. I'd turn around and spend that money on Ligtenburg. He's the best reliever in our price range at this point.

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
It takes more then an hour to put a plan together. Actually this would better to do after the non tender list comes out.
I did it in 15 minutes, but I guess that tells you how bad it is! Yes, it would be better to do after the non tender list...Guess I'm a rookie that jumped the gun. I was bored.

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Agreed. I'm not usually the type to lay out my grand plan of what to do mainly because my mind changes by the hour. :smile:

I might be willing to do something but I'm waiting for the non tender list to come out.

I do agree with the Ligtenberg part though.

nodiggity59
12-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Okay I'm going to ignore deals such as the Boston one and stick purely to things we've seen in the media.

Trade Konerko for Perez.

Resign Colon.

Sign Daubach/ Ventura/Jeremy Giambi
-Left handed bat to play 1st... Ventura being my fav

Sign Robbie for 2 years 5mil max, otherwise I can handle the Uribe/Harris fiasco b/c there's no better option.

Have a Rowand/Harris/Borchard/Reed duke out for CF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this course of action takes our budget into account. Ideally, I'd say get a sure fire leadoff man at 2B or CF... but we can't seem to afford one. The best we can hope for on that front is a mid season acquisition. The same goes for the bullpen. I truly think that we can afford these moves on our budget and would be better this year than in 2003.

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
We all have our opinions (some better than others...mine better than none) so how about we give this GM business a shot.

If you wanna participate, start like this:

If I were GM:
Pull the trigger on the Perez/ Konerko trade. Throw in Valentin for prospect(s) or Relief Pitcher. Evans sucks, he might do it.

Pray the Red Sox rumor is true. Send Maggs and Koch over for Nomar and Damon.

Offer R. Alomar a 2 yr/5m contract, offer Everett 6M

Exercise option on Scott Sullivan

The 2004 Sox would look something like this: (Forgive me if I have some numbers wrong, I am new to this!)

Starting Line-up Bench

Pos Player Salary Player Salary
CF Damon 8.0 Uriebe .3
2B R. Alomar 2.5 ????
DH Thomas 6.0 S. Alomar .75
LF Lee 5.0 Rowand .35
RF Everett 6.0 Harris .30
SS Nomar 11.5
1B Daubach .5
3B Crede .3
C Olivo .3

Position player total= 41.8M

Pitching (Here's where I need help...)

Starters Relievers
Player Salary Player Salary
Buerhle 1.5? Marte .4
Loaiza 3.5 Sullivan 3.1
Perez 3.4 Wunsch 0.7
Garland 1.2 ???? 3x
?????
Total pitching salary (but still need 1 starter and 3 relievers) = 13.8M

That puts me at 55.6M with 4 pitchers to get (or use Wrights, Cotts, etc) and a bench player.

Ok...start ripping.... (This is hard!)

**It looked all lined up when I wrote it.

That lineup wins the 2004 AL Central, but I have one suggested edit: instead of signing Everett, sign Ponson for your #4 starter and move Garland to #5. Do that and
:winner

doublem23
12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
instead of signing Everett, sign Ponson for your #4 starter and move Garland to #5.

Ponson will be more than Everett and we can't go around throwing away money like it ain't a thing.

RedPinStripes
12-04-2003, 08:44 PM
I've tried playing "arm chair GM" And they never do what i want anyway so i just wait and see what they come up with.

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I've tried playing "arm chair GM" And they never do what i want anyway so i just wait and see what they come up with.
Fair enough.