PDA

View Full Version : Role of message boards (like WSI?)

Johnny Mostil
12-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Interesting Slate article on the role of message boards (like WSI, I presume):

http://slate.msn.com/id/2091927/

Baby Fisk
12-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Very cool. Both on Schilling's part and on the reporter for acknolwedging the ramifications.

So...who could that guy with the tag "Sex God Jerry R" have been?

:reinsy

"...and I'm into cuddling with large sacks of cash, sadism, and fantasy-play..."

For the record, I am not Carlton Fisk's baby and will not be seeking support payments.

:pudge

"Whew!!!"

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Very cool. Both on Schilling's part and on the reporter for acknolwedging the ramifications.

So...who could that guy with the tag "Sex God Jerry R" have been?

:reinsy

"...and I'm into cuddling with large sacks of cash, sadism, and fantasy-play..."

For the record, I am not Carlton Fisk's baby and will not be seeking support payments.

:pudge

"Whew!!!"

Still doubt me? I told you this the other day. :smile:

I wonder how much it pisses off the Red Sox fans that he put a Yankee great in his name.

miker
12-04-2003, 11:44 AM
What would a FA think if he started lurking through WSI? Would this board really be the "hook" to bring someone to KW and JR's world?

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Wow, check out the quote from BoSox owner John Henry:

Henry said he occasionally posts his thoughts on Sons of Sam Horn and sometimes relays ideas or analyses from the site to Sox officials.

"They frequently have good, strong ideas and viewpoints," he said. "I do not recommend the site, however, and caution parents against having their children visit the site simply because the language there sometimes is unnecessarily obscene. If it were to clean up its act in that one area, it would become a respected institution among fans. Adults cannot get a better, more informed or timely discussion of important Red Sox issues anywhere."

Imagine that. An owner who thinks the fans actually know something, and a GM who isn't so worried about keeping everything secret to log on and chat with fans. Interesting how Henry did say he wouldn't recommend the site because of the language there...

MarqSox
12-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by miker
What would a FA think if he started lurking through WSI? Would this board really be the "hook" to bring someone to KW and JR's world?
The better question is, would we really WANT players and management to start posting here? The snap response is "hell ya!" but think about it. We suspect that KW probably lurks here from time to time, but what if he identified himself and became a regular poster. Would we not alter the things we write to kiss his behind? Or what if the real Big Hurt started logging on. How many people would write bad things about him?

Maybe it wouldn't change the site, or that the benefits would outweigh the negatives. I'd certainly like to see it actually happen, but it's something to think about.

Iwritecode
12-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The better question is, would we really WANT players and management to start posting here? The snap response is "hell ya!" but think about it. We suspect that KW probably lurks here from time to time, but what if he identified himself and became a regular poster. Would we not alter the things we write to kiss his behind? Or what if the real Big Hurt started logging on. How many people would write bad things about him?

Maybe it wouldn't change the site, or that the benefits would outweigh the negatives. I'd certainly like to see it actually happen, but it's something to think about.

Maybe some people would alter the things they say but I doubt there would be a lot. Most people on this site speak their minds and that's it. If someone doesn't like it, don't read it.

This is the world wide web. What we say here can be read by anyone in the world with a computer. That should be in the back of everyone's mind when they post comments here.

As a matter of fact, I do hope that KW and JR know about this site and read some of the things here. It's the easiest and surest way to get in touch with what the fans really want. Especially the die-hards like us.

Whether or not they take any action in regard to this is a different story alltoghther...

34 Inch Stick
12-04-2003, 12:22 PM
I have no doubt that someone from the Sox looks onto all Sox message boards. We know members of the print and radio broadcast media review this site. I don't know whether Sox players would find their way here or not. The truth is, if a person in the industry is not reviewing a site that counts over 1,000 of its rabid fans as members, that person is not doing his job.

As far as changing posts, I don't think people would change. I have exchanged nasty messages with the guy who writes for the Southtown on several occasions (the brilliance of his career is causing me to forget his name right now). People give it to Les fairly regularly.

The one way e-mails would change is that we would know the others person's perspective rather than just guessing at it. If Frank got on here in defense of Frank it is a lot more persuasive than 34 inch stick defending Frank. Just imagine how the end of 2001 could have turned in Frank's favor if he had been able to let fans know in an informal setting that he was legitimately injured.

Alternatively, Frank might choose his words a little more carefully when talking to the media if we were able to explain some of the problems we have with him. He'd also know a majority of us think he is a Hall of Famer. The standing ovations are in recognition of his career and not intended to mock.

Johnny Mostil
12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Maybe some people would alter the things they say but I doubt there would be a lot. Most people on this site speak their minds and that's it.

Yep. The best (and worst?) thing about forums like this is the anonymity they offer (my name really ain't Johnny Mostil . . . ). That wouldn't change if Sox management or players lurked here, would it?

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I think that's pretty cool. Rocky Biddle's dads wife (RDW) used to post on the MLB board. I don't think they were especially close to Rocky, but I (and a couple others) did meet her and his dad when they came to Chicago a few years ago.

Who knows...one or more of the "regular" posters could be a player, management, or press and we would never know.

dougs78
12-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Mostil
Interesting Slate article on the role of message boards (like WSI, I presume):

http://slate.msn.com/id/2091927/

Thats a great piece. Thanks for sharing Johnny.

The writer also does bring up an interesting point about how the advent of the information age and these sort of fan websites may signal a time in which information about sports teams is related directly to its fans.

It reminds me of something a professor mine at Indiana said about the internet. Something to the effect of, "In the past, the key to being educated on a subject was simply to acquire the information relevant to it, but in the future the key to being educated will be in knowing how to determine which sources are accruate and which are not." A very correct sentiment I think.

This has created an interesting dilemma for me and I'm sure other lurkers/posters on this board. I get sick and tired of the nonsense that comprises 80% of the posts on this board, however I always keep coming back becuase I know that if I sift through the garbage I may find some information that I really want in that other 20%.

Bobby Thigpen
12-04-2003, 01:13 PM
How many people would write bad things about him?

Count me in as one that I guess would. I would still ask him why he's only concerned with himself, or one of the many questions that I have about him. I don't see my problems with Frank as a personal vendetta as everyone else on this board seems to think they are, but I guess I see them as questions from the guy who is supposed to be the team leader. I don't think a single thing would change from my point of view. Contrary to popular opinion I don't HATE Frank Thomas, I just don't think he is what the Sox need at this point.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2003, 01:14 PM
i believe that PHG and some of the others moderators had hinted in the past few months that some changes were coming to the site around the first of the new year.

I don't know exactly what they might be but perhaps they can elaborate since I remember comments directed towards the message board area.

Lip

MisterB
12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't be too hot to the idea of potential acquisitions cruising the message boards around here. We pretty much tend to rip anyone and anything involved with this team, its players and its management at some point, I couldn't see it as a positive influence. I mean look over the posts the last few weeks and you'll find something negative said about just about every major free agent that's available this off season. Not very inviting...

voodoochile
12-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Count me in as one that I guess would. I would still ask him why he's only concerned with himself, or one of the many questions that I have about him. I don't see my problems with Frank as a personal vendetta as everyone else on this board seems to think they are, but I guess I see them as questions from the guy who is supposed to be the team leader. I don't think a single thing would change from my point of view. Contrary to popular opinion I don't HATE Frank Thomas, I just don't think he is what the Sox need at this point.

Okay, one more time, since when was Frank the team leader? Who said so? Who designated him as such? Who ever made the claim that he SHOULD be the team leader and shouldn't those people recognize the inherent folly in wishing it to happen and then ripping on the man for NOT being that which THEY DESIRE?

Shouldn't Frank's offensive contributions be enough to get people off his back?

Bobby Thigpen
12-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Okay, one more time, since when was Frank the team leader? Who said so? Who designated him as such? Who ever made the claim that he SHOULD be the team leader and shouldn't those people recognize the inherent folly in wishing it to happen and then ripping on the man for NOT being that which THEY DESIRE?

He himself has tried to name himself the leader by making statements like he was "setting the tone for the rest of the team". That sounds like a an attempted leadership statement to me.
I would also argue that many of your bretheren in the Frank loving society would name him that as they have on several occasions said that this was Frank's team to leave and stay as he wishes and how the Sox should get and get rid of people to fit around Frank in the lineup. That kind of sounds like they are naming him leader.

One last question. If Frank isn't the leader of this team as a player, who is? Maybe that is what is wrong with this team, they have no leadership.

voodoochile
12-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
One last question. If Frank isn't the leader of this team as a player, who is? Maybe that is what is wrong with this team, they have no leadership.

No problem from me on that one. At least Ozzie fills that void, because love him or hate him, win or lose, there is no question we are going to do things Ozzie's way.

Back to Frank. I understand the desire to see Frank be everything that embodies a leader, but honestly, it is not his strong point. He has moments where he is a leader and others where he is not - just like many players in the league. He has a big mouth and a bad time with journalists. The point is his numbers are good enough to have him on the team. Expecting leadership from Frank is silly, IMO. When it happens, great. Otherwise just see what he DOES bring to the team and stop harping on what he lacks.

Honestly, I don't know who the leader of the team is from a player's perspective. Konerko took a shot and failed. Jose seems to be less vocal than he was in 2000. Maybe that will change next year when he is in his second full season back at his natural position. Everett probably won't be back, but I would love to see him with the team for a full year.

Maybe Joe Crede will step up... :D :

bobj4400
12-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Shouldn't Frank's offensive contributions be enough to get people off his back?

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthSideHitman
12-04-2003, 08:15 PM
I think that occasional chats on sites like WSI would do the Sox' players and management a whole lotta good. If KW or Frank or some other players would come on maybe, once a month during the season just to see how the fans are feeling and explain their actions and feelings and maybe even (God forbid) bond with the fans, it would lead to decreased hostility on all sides and would let the players know that us Sox fans are like the tough-love parent, we only act angry or upset because we care so much about this team.