PDA

View Full Version : Vazquez to Yanks now official

Win1ForMe
12-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Deal is done according to ESPN.com. Expos get Johnson/Juan Rivera in return.

Mammoo
12-04-2003, 10:28 AM
You can love or hate George S....He wants to win and he makes things happen! :gulp:

kittle42
12-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Obviously, the Red Sox must now acquire Millwood or Colon.

Then the Yankees must re-sign Pettitte.

Then the Red Sox must get the other of Colon and Millwood they didn't get the first time.

Then the Yankees convince Roger Clemens to come back.

Then the Red Sox...oh, I'm tired of this.

jabrch
12-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Obviously, the Red Sox must now acquire Millwood or Colon.

Then the Yankees must re-sign Pettitte.

Then the Red Sox must get the other of Colon and Millwood they didn't get the first time.

Then the Yankees convince Roger Clemens to come back.

Then the Red Sox...oh, I'm tired of this.

Wouldn't it be great to be a large market team?

Rocky Soprano
12-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

:reinsy

It's the fans fault that we are not a large market team. I want to win more than the fans.

miker
12-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Oh, the Sox in a large market all right -- they are just run by a small mind.

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 11:40 AM
This is a good deal for the Expos. Nick Johnson is easily the most underrated hitter in baseball. He posted a .280 batting average and a .420 OBP last season! Vazquez is quite good but may be slightly overrated at times and wasn't about to spend the rest of his career in Montreal anyways. Furthermore, this deal will immediately free up a ton of cash for the Expos.

Lets help this leaves the door open for us to get Colon back cheap.

Tekijawa
12-04-2003, 11:42 AM
I would think that the Expos would now move Johnson as they already have a future all-star in Jeff Leifer at that position!

Foulke You
12-04-2003, 12:42 PM
I wonder if this eliminates the Yankees and Red Sox from the Bartolo Colon derby? While you can never count out the Yanks from overspending, if Pettite returns to NY, Colon's best contract offer could be wittled down to the White Sox, Angels, Phillies (pending Millwood), and Orioles. Still a lot of teams but Bartolo's options appear to be shrinking as the weeks go by.

Jjav829
12-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I wonder if this eliminates the Yankees and Red Sox from the Bartolo Colon derby? While you can never count out the Yanks from overspending, if Pettite returns to NY, Colon's best contract offer could be wittled down to the White Sox, Angels, Phillies (pending Millwood), and Orioles. Still a lot of teams but Bartolo's options appear to be shrinking as the weeks go by.

The Phillies are basically out of it now. They withdrew their offer to Millwood once they acquired Milton. They aren't looking for any other starters. This is certainly getting interesting with Colon, Millwood, Ponson, and Pettitte still out there. Hopefully Pettitte returns to the Yanks and takes them out of the running. Millwood is quickly losing options as it now seems like he'll return to the Braves. The Mets have interest but it appears to be only slight interest as they are not sure whether they can afford him. Ponson is really interesting as there hasn't been a lot of talk about him. The Red Sox seem more interested in getting Foulke/Guardado and trading Manny for Arod than adding another starter. It certainly seems like Colon's options are dwindling.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Ken Rosenthal from The Sporting News radio network this morning provided some insight on the Colon situation.

He stated that with New York getting Vasquez they no longer have any interest in Colon.

He said that the Sox have quietly contacted Colon's agent saying that they would still like him to return to the team.

However Rosenthal brought up a very important point when he stated that if the market contniues to drop for Colon other teams who originally weren't interested in him because of cost are now going to get involved.
He specifically said that the Braves are now beginning to get involved (which is something that I read and posted two months ago) as well as Anaheim.

It seems a dropping market is a double edged sword. The Sox have a real chance to get him back, but other clubs who may be better positioned to win and win now may also be able to offer deals that he might look favorably on.

Lip

Foulke You
12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ken Rosenthal from The Sporting News radio network this morning provided some insight on the Colon situation.

He stated that with New York getting Vasquez they no longer have any interest in Colon.

He said that the Sox have quietly contacted Colon's agent saying that they would still like him to return to the team.

However Rosenthal brought up a very important point when he stated that if the market contniues to drop for Colon other teams who originally weren't interested in him because of cost are now going to get involved.
He specifically said that the Braves are now beginning to get involved (which is something that I read and posted two months ago) as well as Anaheim.

It seems a dropping market is a double edged sword. The Sox have a real chance to get him back, but other clubs who may be better positioned to win and win now may also be able to offer deals that he might look favorably on.

Lip

But you would also have to think that the White Sox would have the advantage over the other teams coming in to the Bartolo sweepstakes. Bartolo knows the city of Chicago and the team already and seemed happy here and wanted to stay. The only thing keeping him away was the money. If it came down to choosing a team he is unfamiliar with like the Angels or Braves and assuming the Sox offer was still fair and competitive with those teams, I would have to think Bartolo would choose to come back to the White Sox.

rmusacch
12-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I would think that the Expos would now move Johnson as they already have a future all-star in Jeff Leifer at that position!

Leifer got released by the Expos earlier last season and latched on with the D-Rays for about a week and then was sent to the minors.

npdempse
12-04-2003, 02:10 PM
But you would also have to think that the White Sox would have the advantage over the other teams coming in to the Bartolo sweepstakes. Bartolo knows the city of Chicago and the team already and seemed happy here and wanted to stay. The only thing keeping him away was the money. If it came down to choosing a team he is unfamiliar with like the Angels or Braves and assuming the Sox offer was still fair and competitive with those teams, I would have to think Bartolo would choose to come back to the White Sox.

Exactly. When this started out, Colon seemed to be making noise that he wanted to be a part of the big-time East Coast show. If his options are Anaheim or Atlanta, unless there's a big money incentive, you gotta figure he'll stick here. Not like he has a whole lot better chance of playing deep into October with those guys next year either.

jeremyb1
12-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

If other teams enter the market now that the bottom has fallen out that may prevent us from signing Colon at a discounted rate but if our 13 million per season offer is still on the table, those teams obviously aren't going to make an offer on par with that if they've only started to bid since the price is being driven down.

As far as those destinations being more attractive than Chicago, I'm somewhat skeptical. The Braves may be attractive but what does Anaheim have to offer? They're no more competitive than us and don't have a payroll/market a great deal larger than ours. There has to be some value placed on staying in a situation you're comfortable with where you're familiar with the city, the media, the coaches, your teamates, etc.

kittle42
12-04-2003, 03:41 PM

If either of those teams offered him even 1 million more he'd go.

rcescato
12-04-2003, 04:31 PM
I tend to agree with these limited options for Colon.
If the 3yr/30 mil deal is on the table I would think he would be back. At least we have something to look at now. With
the twins subtracting more and more from their team this
off season is looking a little better now.
Rich

mikef1331
12-04-2003, 05:02 PM
I don't think that Colon would go to the Braves or any other NL team. The reason why he wouldn't go to the NL....HE WOULD HAVE TO BAT!!

Could you imagine Bartolo swinging at a pitch :o: !

It now looks like his two best options are the Orioles (who are one of the few teams looking to increase payroll) or returning to the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Jeremy:

In my opinion the big question is how much of the offer is deferred money?

It's certainly possible that Colon would take a few million less to get his money now then wait a certain amount of time to get it down the line.

If that wasn't a factor, he probably would have accepted the initial Sox offer which according to ken Williams is now off the table.

and with a new owner who wants to make a splash Anaheim may be a very attractive place by the time spring training rolls around especially if they trade for Nomar.

Plus if the market drops who's to say what other teams may get involved.

Lip