PDA

View Full Version : 2004 ticket prices - season plans


ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Here's the link.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/cws_seating_pricing.jsp


With these prices, they BETTER sign good players.

Gene

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Add $5 to all season ticket prices listed above for June 25-27 games. Why just for those?

Tekijawa
12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Add $5 to all season ticket prices listed above for June 25-27 games. Why just for those?

Those will be the only home games we win all year!

:D:

npdempse
12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Here's the link.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/cws_seating_pricing.jsp


With these prices, they BETTER sign good players.

Gene

That's obscene. What are the infield tix going to cost without a season ticket plan? $32? :angry:

voodoochile
12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Add $5 to all season ticket prices listed above for June 25-27 games. Why just for those?

Hey, we should all be grateful that we don't have to buy tickets to 10 other games to get those seats like the first year.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Those will be the only home games we win all year!

:D:

lol

I am assuming that those are the cub games. At least the Sox raise the tickets up front instead of opening "Bridgeport ticket service" and selling the tickets for that series for much more $$$. Who would ever do such a thing?

Ah well, it looks like my season ticket dream waits at least another year.

joecrede
12-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Notice the realignment? Section 520-506 and 544-558 all rows are now reserved and the boxes are all rows section 522-542? Interesting. I'd venture to say that they have some of the best reserved seating in MLB at the expense of some worse boxes.

santo=dorf
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Do season ticket holders have to pay full price for Monday games? Do they get any kind of discount?

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Do season ticket holders have to pay full price for Monday games? Do they get any kind of discount?

I'm not a season ticket holder but I have asked a season ticket holder this "?". IIRC, he said no Monday discounts.

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Do season ticket holders have to pay full price for Monday games? Do they get any kind of discount?

as of last year...yes

anewman35
12-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Here's the link.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/cws_seating_pricing.jsp


Gene

Hmm. I wonder if that White line down the center of all the upper deck sections indicates anything, or if it's just left over from the old map. Hmm.

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
as of last year...yes

What's the discount? Is each game a buck?

Maybe this is what would explain why the Sox only have 4 Monday night home games this season according to what I've heard.

santo=dorf
12-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
as of last year...yes
Full price or discount? I heard season ticket holders get a discount on parking, only $14.99!
Luckily I don't have to worry about parking when I go to Sox games. :)

Realist
12-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
as of last year...yes

Wait a second. I had season tix last year and I paid full price for the Monday games.

By the way, it looks as though my seats haven't gone up at all in price. We were in section 145 and paid $25 per seat per game last year too.

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
What's the discount? Is each game a buck?

Maybe this is what would explain why the Sox only have 4 Monday night home games this season according to what I've heard.

no half off discount for monday...only normal season ticketholder price...

santo=dorf
12-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
no half off discount for monday...only normal season ticketholder price...
They'll give discounts to people who buy tickets for six games, but not to people who buy 81 games? At least all of the season ticket holders were able to buy upper deck seats a couple of weeks ago!

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
They'll give discounts to people who buy tickets for six games, but not to people who buy 81 games? At least all of the season ticket holders were able to buy upper deck seats a couple of weeks ago!

sox offer discounts per game...

Dadawg_77
12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Well I have been a season ticket holder for three years now, and me and my buddy decided we will not renew. Raise the prices after a sub par year and talk of dropping players just doesn't sit right with me. At least this will save a couple thousand for me.

Also I reserve the right to change my mind if the Sox make a good blockbuster trade or signing in the near future.

Scotty347
12-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
They'll give discounts to people who buy tickets for six games, but not to people who buy 81 games? At least all of the season ticket holders were able to buy upper deck seats a couple of weeks ago!

You aren't making much sense here. The season tickets are already discounted for each game a few bucks.

I think what is interesting when looking at these prices is that it looks like the Sox will be lowering prices on the upper reserved to $10. I think its a good idea to be able to get in the park for that price. I believe they were $14 last year.

Parking will cost $13 per game for season tickets - same as last year. It is $15 if you buy it at the game.

SaltyPretzel
12-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Hmm. I wonder if that White line down the center of all the upper deck sections indicates anything, or if it's just left over from the old map. Hmm.

I think that it indicates where the poles are situated for the new roof.

santo=dorf
12-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
You aren't making much sense here. The season tickets are already discounted for each game a few bucks.

I remember hearing someone say (not here) that season tickets holders pay full price for all 81 games. Is that wrong? People here are saying that season ticket holders pay full price for Monday games. My dad usually chips in with some other people for that 7 game plan where you pay full price for six games and get the 7th for one dollar. This is was I was referring to.

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Well I have been a season ticket holder for three years now, and me and my buddy decided we will not renew. Raise the prices after a sub par year and talk of dropping players just doesn't sit right with me. At least this will save a couple thousand for me.

Also I reserve the right to change my mind if the Sox make a good blockbuster trade or signing in the near future.

Dadawg,

What plan do you currently have? And where do you sit? Depending on those factors, you may pay as much, if not less than last year. Even though I'm not too pleased that my tickets went up 87 bucks per seat, I am interested in soe of the ud plans for weekdays.....9 bucks aint bad, especially if i get to sit in the "old ud box" seats longside teh foul lines...I sat in 548 in 03....pretty sweet...

Gene

npdempse
12-03-2003, 10:50 PM
They've totally krunked up the ticket pricing, as far as I can tell. Last year they gave a few bucks off for all season ticket holders for all their tickets. On my plan ("hit & run") we lost money b/c we could have bought many of our Monday games for half price and only got a couple of bucks off each individual ticket. This year, I've heard some season plans won't even be a discount over the regular price of seats.

The real perk was of course the ASG, and a few free things (media guide, bobbles and gloves at the party).

Unless they actually make some moves next weekend, giving some hope of a playoff run and a reason to have season tickets (they guarantee a shot at playoff seats), I don't see how season tickets make any sense at all this year. I'll start drinking Pepsi, thanks.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Well I have been a season ticket holder for three years now, and me and my buddy decided we will not renew. Raise the prices after a sub par year and talk of dropping players just doesn't sit right with me. At least this will save a couple thousand for me.



Good for you-they have priced me out too. They have all the gall in the world doing this win these economic times, while they too, openly promote a less attractive product.

Are we all that dumb?

hose
12-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Dadawg,

What plan do you currently have? And where do you sit? Depending on those factors, you may pay as much, if not less than last year. Even though I'm not too pleased that my tickets went up 87 bucks per seat, I am interested in soe of the ud plans for weekdays.....9 bucks aint bad, especially if i get to sit in the "old ud box" seats longside teh foul lines...I sat in 548 in 03....pretty sweet...

Gene


Gene I am going to have to weigh the advantages of renewing my partial season ticket plan . I might just purchase individual games as I see fit .

If Reinsy wants to cut back, then I'll cut back.

joecrede
12-03-2003, 11:10 PM
I think the new UD reserve seats down the lines for $9 on a weekday season tix packages are an excellent buy. Last year most of those seats went for $18(?) Think I'll be cutting a check to the Chairman this year. :gulp:

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I think the new UD reserve seats down the lines for $9 on a weekday season tix packages are an excellent buy. Last year most of those seats went for $18(?) Think I'll be cutting a check to the Chairman this year. :gulp:

They were $14.

kempsted
12-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Boy nothing makes people happy. I was assuming when I saw this thread that every one would be pleased since the rumor of making the weekend package 40 games and the other 2 as 20 was wrong. Also ticket prices actually went down in some cases. I am paying 6.00 more total. That is .22 a game. THis is the same day the cubs announce their season ticket price increase - $5 more PER GAME. They are also adding 250 more "luxury seats" behind the catcher at 100 a ticket.

Those of you not renewing for sure where are your seats? Maybe I can trade up. Sheesh. This is probably the lowest ticket price raise of any team in baseball.

joecrede
12-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
They were $14.

Not to quibble, but last year the first 15 rows of each section were considered box seats and went for $20 day of game ($18 on season tix), the new configuration has entire sections from 544 up and 520 down going at $9 on season tix (assume $11 day of game).

ewokpelts
12-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
They were $14.

he was referring to the former ud box seats that were 20

ewokpelts
12-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Boy nothing makes people happy. I was assuming when I saw this thread that every one would be pleased since the rumor of making the weekend package 40 games and the other 2 as 20 was wrong. Also ticket prices actually went down in some cases. I am paying 6.00 more total. That is .22 a game. THis is the same day the cubs announce their season ticket price increase - $5 more PER GAME. They are also adding 250 more "luxury seats" behind the catcher at 100 a ticket.

Those of you not renewing for sure where are your seats? Maybe I can trade up. Sheesh. This is probably the lowest ticket price raise of any team in baseball.

not if ur in the bleachers

NorthSideConvert
12-04-2003, 07:58 AM
As best as I can tell, my seats would not have gone up from last year, still 15 a game, for what is now a full plan in "Upper deck premium" I was in the first row of sesc 527, awesome seats, but I am giving them up for financial reasons

thepaulbowski
12-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'm not a season ticket holder but I have asked a season ticket holder this "?". IIRC, he said no Monday discounts.

But, being that I've held my tickets for a few years, I don't pay full price for the tickets anyways. My wife and I have a friend that has tickets right next to us and hers are a little bit more, because she hasn't had them as long. So, from what I can tell is the price of the season tickets is affected by how long you have held them.

anewman35
12-04-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm going to go on record as saying, assuming that regular prices are a buck or two more than these, I think this is a very good move. What the Sox are doing appears to lower the cost of (almost?) all tickets on weekdays, which were the days they needed a boost the most. Even on weekends, (almost?) all upper deck seats are the same as they were, and this is for better seats. I also like how they've redivided the upper deck. In the old system, tickets behind the plate always went first, which could leave the rest of the upper deck looking empty. With this new system, I think you'll have people around the bottom of the upper deck much farther down the lines, which should hopefully lead to more open consession stands, as well as looking better on tv.

Basically, (and no flames, I'm sure there's always exceptions), somebody already paying $29 wouldn't be very hurt by paying another buck or two a game. However, somebody who would have had to pay $14 might be a lot happier of they can get in for $10 or $11, and get better tickets at the same time. And if they still have half price games, that'll let a person (potentially) get a front row seat for $5. Not bad at all.

Eddie Gaedel
12-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
But, being that I've held my tickets for a few years, I don't pay full price for the tickets anyways. My wife and I have a friend that has tickets right next to us and hers are a little bit more, because she hasn't had them as long. So, from what I can tell is the price of the season tickets is affected by how long you have held them.

you are correct sir. my UD seats were listed as $20 but i paid $15 because i have been a holder for 3 years. my account exec said discounts on season ticket plans were based on how long you have had them. it seems like that policy is no longer being used. i recieved my bill in the mail yesterday. my package has gone up $200. also the initial payment to reserve your seats is $250 per. up from $100 last year. the payment must be made by 12/15. because of my budget constraints this year, the only way i could afford a plan is if ticket prices had not gone up. i think the SOX organization is making a big mistake. how can they ask people to spend more money when they are acting like a small market team. i have no plans to buy season tickets again until the SOX start acting like they have a true commitment to winning, put some quality players on the field, and stop alienating their fans. i feel sorry for KW. he works with what he's got, but that ain't much.

Dadawg_77
12-04-2003, 09:53 AM
My seats were in right field about $20 a ticket last year. Those seats are now $25 a ticket. While I could afford it, I cann't see why I should. The team is cutting quality of its product from a team which didn't make the playoffs last year. I probally won't get season tickets again til the Sox either sell, fire Kenny or win a playoff series.

Procol Harum
12-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Well I have been a season ticket holder for three years now, and me and my buddy decided we will not renew. Raise the prices after a sub par year and talk of dropping players just doesn't sit right with me. At least this will save a couple thousand for me.

Also I reserve the right to change my mind if the Sox make a good blockbuster trade or signing in the near future.

You go, Dadawg! Fight th' powah!! I hope about 10,000 other season ticket holders join you.

anewman35
12-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
My seats were in right field about $20 a ticket last year. Those seats are now $25 a ticket.

Which section is that? The Lower Box weekdays? The Lower Reserve weekends? Those seats last year were (without season ticket holder discounts) $29 for boxes and $24 for reserved. I'm not sure what the discounts were, but I'm guessing you didn't have Lower boxes, becaues no way it was $9 a game. So assuming you had reserved, and assuming that the season ticket discount is $2 or $3 a game (is that right? I've sort of gathered that number from people here), the price for the 42 games of the season is actually the same or cheaper than it was last year. As for raising weekend prices, I'm all for it. The Sox usually don't have much trouble selling on the weekends, let them get more money per ticket - every little bit helps. Overall, some seats did go up a bit, but large portions of the stadium will be cheaper for most games, which will get more people in there. It's a good move.

Jerko
12-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Boy nothing makes people happy. I was assuming when I saw this thread that every one would be pleased since the rumor of making the weekend package 40 games and the other 2 as 20 was wrong. Also ticket prices actually went down in some cases. I am paying 6.00 more total. That is .22 a game. THis is the same day the cubs announce their season ticket price increase - $5 more PER GAME. They are also adding 250 more "luxury seats" behind the catcher at 100 a ticket.

Those of you not renewing for sure where are your seats? Maybe I can trade up. Sheesh. This is probably the lowest ticket price raise of any team in baseball.


I thought I saw a little tiny insignificant little ** on that chart saying that in fact the weekend package is now 39 games and includes Fridays. So, now we 'have' to pay more per game AND buy more games. I GONE!

anewman35
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I thought I saw a little tiny insignificant little ** on that chart saying that in fact the weekend package is now 39 games and includes Fridays. So, now we 'have' to pay more per game AND buy more games. I GONE!

I don't think that's what that means. If you notice, those asterisks are next to the word "FULL". All they are saying is that that full season plan contains 42 games at weekday prices and 39 at weekend prices. I don't see anything that indicates that you have to take all 39 games to get the weekend package (in fact, I don't see anything about packages at all).

Dadawg_77
12-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Which section is that? The Lower Box weekdays? The Lower Reserve weekends? Those seats last year were (without season ticket holder discounts) $29 for boxes and $24 for reserved. I'm not sure what the discounts were, but I'm guessing you didn't have Lower boxes, becaues no way it was $9 a game. So assuming you had reserved, and assuming that the season ticket discount is $2 or $3 a game (is that right? I've sort of gathered that number from people here), the price for the 42 games of the season is actually the same or cheaper than it was last year. As for raising weekend prices, I'm all for it. The Sox usually don't have much trouble selling on the weekends, let them get more money per ticket - every little bit helps. Overall, some seats did go up a bit, but large portions of the stadium will be cheaper for most games, which will get more people in there. It's a good move.

101, lower reserved weekend package.

anewman35
12-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
101, lower reserved weekend package.

Ok, that is one of the few things that goes up significantly. It's a shame that it hurts you, but overall, a lot of packages go down. It's not as if the team is raising packages across the board - I'm thinking that most people with full season packages (or weekday packages) will at most have a very slight increase, and for most people the upper deck will be significantly cheaper and better. I'm betting that any loss of lower deck packages will be made up by people buying new upper deck packages.

Jerko
12-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I don't think that's what that means. If you notice, those asterisks are next to the word "FULL". All they are saying is that that full season plan contains 42 games at weekday prices and 39 at weekend prices. I don't see anything that indicates that you have to take all 39 games to get the weekend package (in fact, I don't see anything about packages at all).

I hope you are right but it also says this:

The prices above reflect individual game prices for Season Ticket packages only. Season Ticket prices are discounted from individual game ticket prices. Individual game ticket prices for the 2004 season will be announced at a later date.

It looks like they "split" the split. It looks like they offer FULL and SPLIT weekend plans, when last year the weekend plan was just a split plan. MAYBE they still have the old Sat/Sun (split weekend) as well as the Fri-Sun (Full weekend) plan. Who knows with this team anymore. I emailed my ticket rep; let's see if she knows.

skottyj242
12-04-2003, 11:08 AM
I might be wrong but I think my prices actually went down. I have a split season in left field, I paid 23 a game last year and next year I'm only going to have to pay 21. That's cool by me. The only thing that sucks though is no Monday or Tuesday discounts.

anewman35
12-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
It looks like they "split" the split. It looks like they offer FULL and SPLIT weekend plans, when last year the weekend plan was just a split plan. MAYBE they still have the old Sat/Sun (split weekend) as well as the Fri-Sun (Full weekend) plan. Who knows with this team anymore. I emailed my ticket rep; let's see if she knows.

I think you're still misreading it. When they say "FULL", they mean "Full season". I don't think they're doing any sort of "Full weekend" thing. If they are, that page doesn't indicate it.

Jerko
12-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I think you're still misreading it. When they say "FULL", they mean "Full season". I don't think they're doing any sort of "Full weekend" thing. If they are, that page doesn't indicate it.

I think I finally get it. If you have a full season plan, the monday-thursday games cost x and the friday-sunday games cost y, and if you have a split season plan the mon-thurs games cost z and fri-sun cost q with the costs being different depending on which plan you get. OK. Hey I had a long night last night. Thanks for the clarification.

MarkV
12-04-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm done with my season tickets after this season. I had the weekend package since 2001, and here's what I paid each year for my seat in SEC 107:

2001
Tickets-$513 ($19 per game)
Parking-$270 ($10 per game)

2002
Tickets-$540 ($20 per game)
Parking-$297 ($11 per game)

2003
Tickets-$540 ($20 per game)
Parking-$351 ($13 per game)

My bill for 2004 was:
Tickets-$681 ($25.22 per game)
Parking-$351 ($13 per game)

Every year I've had my tickets, the team has been more disappointing, especially the misery that was 2003. The possible losses of Ordonez and Graffanino will make the team much worse, and the Juan Uribe acquisition doesn't make me wanna fork over an extra $141 for season tix. Hopefully, they still have half-price Mondays and Pepsi Tuesdays, because those are the only times that I'll be at the ballpark now.

anewman35
12-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MarkV
Hopefully, they still have half-price Mondays and Pepsi Tuesdays, because those are the only times that I'll be at the ballpark now.

That's fine. There's rarely too much trouble getting people in the park on weekends, it's the weekdays that's the problem, hopefully with the new prices they won;t be anymore.

voodoochile
12-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
My seats were in right field about $20 a ticket last year. Those seats are now $25 a ticket. While I could afford it, I cann't see why I should. The team is cutting quality of its product from a team which didn't make the playoffs last year. I probally won't get season tickets again til the Sox either sell, fire Kenny or win a playoff series.

You can always get decent seats and solid prices with a 7-game package anyway. You can order before they go on sale to the public and thus reserve seats for a few crucial games each year without having to shell out 1000's of dollars.

A nice group of tickets can include:

Opening day,
All 3 flubbies games
Last Home game
Pick a couple of division rivals or teams you really want to see (Yankees, BoSox, etc.)

BeerHandle
12-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I heard season ticket holders get a discount on parking, only $14.99![/COLOR]

Season ticket parking is $13 per game.

Frank the Tank
12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Those prices would be nice if they were the individual game prices. Since I'm not a season ticket holder, I can only pray that management announces that every home game of the season is half price day.

kempsted
12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I thought I saw a little tiny insignificant little ** on that chart saying that in fact the weekend package is now 39 games and includes Fridays. So, now we 'have' to pay more per game AND buy more games. I GONE!

This is incorrect. I got clarification from my rep and got my bill. What they have done is let you know that there are 39 weekend games and they cost the amount listed. The splits are exactly like they were last year. The Double Play plan is all Saturday and Sunday games and one Thursday game (OK that is different last year it was a Monday). If I had one of the other two plans instead my cost would have gone DOWN quite a bit.

ewokpelts
12-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerko


I think I finally get it. If you have a full season plan, the monday-thursday games cost x and the friday-sunday games cost y, and if you have a split season plan the mon-thurs games cost z and fri-sun cost q with the costs being different depending on which plan you get. OK. Hey I had a long night last night. Thanks for the clarification.

You have to add Five bucks per ticket, per game to the cubs series.


Originally posted by MarkV
I'm done with my season tickets after this season. I had the weekend package since 2001, and here's what I paid each year for my seat in SEC 107:

2001
Tickets-$513 ($19 per game)
Parking-$270 ($10 per game)

2002
Tickets-$540 ($20 per game)
Parking-$297 ($11 per game)

2003
Tickets-$540 ($20 per game)
Parking-$351 ($13 per game)

My bill for 2004 was:
Tickets-$641 ($25.22 per game)
Parking-$351 ($13 per game)

Every year I've had my tickets, the team has been more disappointing, especially the misery that was 2003. The possible losses of Ordonez and Graffanino will make the team much worse, and the Juan Uribe acquisition doesn't make me wanna fork over an extra $141 for season tix. Hopefully, they still have half-price Mondays and Pepsi Tuesdays, because those are the only times that I'll be at the ballpark now.

MarkV,
You can always change your plan. I'm looking at leaving the bleachers(partial weekend plan) and going to a full season ud resereved plan...only 200 more......plus, my rep told me pepsi may not want to do the tuesday promo anymore...it's still early, but I'd wait till january to find out.


Originally posted by voodoochile


You can always get decent seats and solid prices with a 7-game package anyway. You can order before they go on sale to the public and thus reserve seats for a few crucial games each year without having to shell out 1000's of dollars.

A nice group of tickets can include:

Opening day,
All 3 flubbies games
Last Home game
Pick a couple of division rivals or teams you really want to see (Yankees, BoSox, etc.)

Voodoo,
I'm not sure if the Sox 7 is coming back. And with the vaiable pricing, they may not inlcude the flub games.

Gene

ewokpelts
12-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Partial Plans are still 27 games.

Plan A features opening day.(m-f)
PlanB features 1 flub game(m-f)
PLan C features weekends.

Gene

ewokpelts
12-04-2003, 11:03 PM
...the upper deck restrictions will likely still be in place next year, according to my ticket rep...but if your a season ticketholder, dosent matter.....open access
Gene

doogiec
12-06-2003, 10:26 AM
I've been keeping quiet for a few days after receiving my season ticket renewal letter. Had I expressed my feelings on this board immediately after opening the letter, I probably would have been banned for life.

I currently hold season tickets in what is now called "Premium Lower Deck Boxes" (135). My family has had season tickets in one form or another since 1960. My father had partial seasons throughout the sixties and seventies. Starting in the eighties my brother and I started wanting more tickets, so we brought on a couple of friends and started sharing full season tickets. By my math we have been responsible for buying approximately 9000 tickets during that time period. And all of those tickets have been purchased before the season, without knowing what the team would look like. We have bought at least 4 tickets to every single home game played by the White Sox since 1981.

Despite what a couple of posters have written, the reason we have the good seats we have is not due to some excessive personal wealth (not poor, not wealthy). Its because many years we get to improve our seat location when others fail to renew. In other words, its loyalty, not money. When fans boycotted after the strike, I remained loyal and got better seats. When fans boycotted after the White Flag trade, I remained loyal and moved up. I spend an exorbitant percentage of my income annually on White Sox tickets. Many others in my seating area are in the same situation.

The White Sox have rewarded that loyalty by hitting me with the largest single price increase in the history of the White Sox, an average of $6 per game. That's 19%, in a year in which the average wage increased less than 2%.

As I mentioned above, I do split the tickets with a few partners in addition to my own family. About half my partners are now out, meaning the financial burden on me is not only the $6, but the fact that I may have to take on more tickets (along with the surviving partners) to replace the partners the Sox have priced out of the plan. Further agravating the situation, the Sox sprung the price increase on me with only 10 days notice, effectively making it impossible for me to find new partners (by the way, if anyone wants really good seats, PLEASE LET ME KNOW....).

In order to keep my sanity, I have to look at the $6 increase as a tax to cover the following:

1. The ineptitude of White Sox marketing, who can't figure out a way to sell half the tickets despite having the lowest priced major league tickets in Chicago pro sports.

2. Every fan boycott over the last 10 years.

3. Every fan who has intentionally bought cheaper seats than they intended to sit in, and the inept Sox security who was too lazy to stop this practice until last season.

If the team wins, this new price structure will certainly help with increasing attendance. It was clearly designed to help bring in new full and split season ticket holders, along with increased day of game/family sales on weekdays. But if this team doesn't win consistantly, it will destroy attendance as day of game sales will not increase at the same time as the Sox are pushing away the very customers most likely to buy tickets during a crappy season.

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
When fans boycotted after the strike, I remained loyal and got better seats. When fans boycotted after the White Flag trade, I remained loyal and moved up. I spend an exorbitant percentage of my income annually on White Sox tickets. Many others in my seating area are in the same situation.

I admire your passion for the White Sox. However, fan apathy after '94 and the "White Flag Trade" had very little to do with being a "loyal" fan.

ewokpelts
12-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I admire your passion for the White Sox. However, fan apathy after '94 and the "White Flag Tade" had very little to do with being a "loyal" fan.

takes a lot of strength to weahter those storms......white flag more so than strike for me at least.....

doogiec
12-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I admire your passion for the White Sox. However, fan apathy after '94 and the "White Flag Trade" had very little to do with being a "loyal" fan.

Let's face it, everyone's first reaction was to boycott. My frustration and anger, particularly in 1994, was as great as anyone's (I didn't really think the team was going to win the division the year of the white flag trade anyway, so I wasn't as freaked out as some). My point is simply that had everyone chosen to boycott, the White Sox would not exist today (at least not in Chicago).

Everyone had a right to react to those events in whatever manner they saw fit. But by targeting the ticket price increase directly at the majority of season ticket holders who chose to continue to direct their money to the team during those times, the White Sox lost a lot of goodwill from people who were hard to chase away.

Realist
12-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Let's face it, everyone's first reaction was to boycott. My frustration and anger, particularly in 1994, was as great as anyone's (I didn't really think the team was going to win the division the year of the white flag trade anyway, so I wasn't as freaked out as some). My point is simply that had everyone chosen to boycott, the White Sox would not exist today (at least not in Chicago).

Everyone had a right to react to those events in whatever manner they saw fit. But by targeting the ticket price increase directly at the majority of season ticket holders who chose to continue to direct their money to the team during those times, the White Sox lost a lot of goodwill from people who were hard to chase away.

I didn't mind the white flag sale a bit. In fact, I was for it. That team wasn't going anywhere. The strike was a different thing. I didn't watch one pitch of baseball until they got a collective bargaining agreement. I was that disgusted. If I was flipping through the chanells and a baseball game was on, I'd squeeze the channel up button with all my might to get past it.

On the upside, I didn't have to endure Terry Bevington too much. :smile:

doogiec
12-07-2003, 11:48 AM
In a small town in Illinois, there were two breakfast restaurants. One of the restaurants, called the North Side Bistro, was always packed every morning. That restaurant didn’t usually have the best food and it cost a little more money. But it was located in a trendy part of town, in a historic old (but kind of strangely smelling) building, so people went there anyway. All of the local papers said it was the best place to eat in town, since the reporters always got free meals there. Some of the reporters actually owned a small part of the business, but never mentioned that when they did their food reviews.

The other restaurant was called the South Side Grill. It was a clean restaurant, with good food and lots of parking. It had large, clean bathrooms and you could always walk right in and get a table. The South Side Grill had, in its best times recently, only about two thirds of the customers of the North Side Bistro, even though they regularly had half price specials and let kids eat for a dollar.

There were twenty men who ate breakfast together each morning at the South Side Grill. They showed up every day, and ordered one of the most expensive things on the menu, the Eggs Benedict at $7. All of the men had eaten there every day for at least ten years, some twenty or even thirty. They all loved breakfast, and some never ate out for lunch or dinner so they could afford their daily Eggs Benedict. Some were wealthy, some were working class and few were retired and on a fixed income.

One day in December the waitress came and handed them all menus. They all laughed and said, “You know what we want!” The waitress suggested they need to look at the menus anyway.

After reading through the menus, the men all noticed that everything they order went up in price by twenty percent. In looking at the other options, they noticed that everything else had at most a modest increase; some things actually went down in price. Furious, they demanded to see a manager.

The manager came out to see the men. He explained, “We needed to increase prices to you so we can lower the prices on other items. See all those empty blue seats? I’m remodeling that part of the restaurant this year. I have to get people to come there somehow. You guys didn’t stop coming here after my staff walked out on me and we had to close the restaurant for a while in 1994. You didn’t stop coming here after I fired your favorite waitresses to save money a few years later. You didn’t stop coming when I wouldn’t fire that rude waitress Bev, even though she kept forgetting to warm up the pitchers before serving your coffee. Hey, you even came back every day this year even though Jerry the cook changed the recipe on Eggs Benedict 90 times in 100 days. You guys even pay for your meals before we serve them. A lot of days you’re the only people who eat here, especially when the weather’s bad or we get another bad review in the paper. Remember the time you all came down after I promised you the old seats out of the section I’m remodeling, only to discover I’d actually thrown out all but a few of them? That was funny. Hey, someone has to pay for all of this. Anyway you're really gonna like our new cook Oswald, although I'm not sure if he's ever run a kitchen before. He's a real funny guy.”

Out of the twenty men, ten were so angry they vowed never to return. Five decided to eat there only three times a week. Four decided to continue eating there every day anyway. And one died of a heart attack caused by Hollandaise clogged arteries. The restaurant went out of business a few months later.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
In a small town in Illinois, there were two breakfast restaurants. One of the restaurants, called the North Side Bistro, was always packed every morning. That restaurant didn’t usually have the best food and it cost a little more money. But it was located in a trendy part of town, in a historic old (but kind of strangely smelling) building, so people went there anyway. All of the local papers said it was the best place to eat in town, since the reporters always got free meals there. Some of the reporters actually owned a small part of the business, but never mentioned that when they did their food reviews.

The other restaurant was called the South Side Grill. It was a clean restaurant, with good food and lots of parking. It had large, clean bathrooms and you could always walk right in and get a table. The South Side Grill had, in its best times recently, only about two thirds of the customers of the North Side Bistro, even though they regularly had half price specials and let kids eat for a dollar.

There were twenty men who ate breakfast together each morning at the South Side Grill. They showed up every day, and ordered one of the most expensive things on the menu, the Eggs Benedict at $7. All of the men had eaten there every day for at least ten years, some twenty or even thirty. They all loved breakfast, and some never ate out for lunch or dinner so they could afford their daily Eggs Benedict. Some were wealthy, some were working class and few were retired and on a fixed income.

One day in December the waitress came and handed them all menus. They all laughed and said, “You know what we want!” The waitress suggested they need to look at the menus anyway.

After reading through the menus, the men all noticed that everything they order went up in price by twenty percent. In looking at the other options, they noticed that everything else had at most a modest increase; some things actually went down in price. Furious, they demanded to see a manager.

The manager came out to see the men. He explained, “We needed to increase prices to you so we can lower the prices on other items. See all those empty blue seats? I’m remodeling that part of the restaurant this year. I have to get people to come there somehow. You guys didn’t stop coming here after my staff walked out on me and we had to close the restaurant for a while in 1994. You didn’t stop coming here after I fired your favorite waitresses to save money a few years later. You didn’t stop coming when I wouldn’t fire that rude waitress Bev, even though she kept forgetting to warm up the pitchers before serving your coffee. Hey, you even came back every day this year even though Jerry the cook changed the recipe on Eggs Benedict 90 times in 100 days. You guys even pay for your meals before we serve them. A lot of days you’re the only people who eat here, especially when the weather’s bad or we get another bad review in the paper. Remember the time you all came down after I promised you the old seats out of the section I’m remodeling, only to discover I’d actually thrown out all but a few of them? That was funny. Hey, someone has to pay for all of this. Anyway you're really gonna like our new cook Oswald, although I'm not sure if he's ever run a kitchen before. He's a real funny guy.”

Out of the twenty men, ten were so angry they vowed never to return. Five decided to eat there only three times a week. Four decided to continue eating there every day anyway. And one died of a heart attack caused by Hollandaise clogged arteries. The restaurant went out of business a few months later.

I liked creativity and the effort here well enough to give you some extra visibility on WSI's main page.

Enjoy!

:gulp: