PDA

View Full Version : Phillies acquire Milton from Twins

chosk8
12-03-2003, 06:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1677419

The Philadelphia Phillies acquired left-hander Eric Milton from the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday for reliever Carlos Silva, infielder Nick Punto and a minor leaguer to be named after the Rule 5 draft, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

Tekijawa
12-03-2003, 06:06 PM
WOW or division is getting bad! Maybe I should write to Bud and convince him that there should be two division champs and two wild cards next year. I'd feel bad if the Sox ended up taking a play off spot away from a team who deserved it!

chosk8
12-03-2003, 06:11 PM
All we have to do is be the best of the worst. Although, IMO, we've been the best team in this division for a few years now and haven't gotten it done. This division is looking truely pathetic though.

Foulke You
12-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Good riddance to Latroy and Milton. Two big Sox killers. Now if they lose Guardado or Shannon Stewart as well, maybe we'll win this division by default?

:reinsy
"Now you are beginning to see the genius of the $58 million dollar self imposed payroll limit."

StepsInSC
12-03-2003, 07:17 PM
This division is beginning to look ripe for the Tiger's taking!

Hondo
12-03-2003, 07:20 PM
I actually wouldn't be shocked if Cleveland made a run this year. They have some good young players.

Brian26
12-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Now if they lose Guardado or Shannon Stewart as well, maybe we'll win this division by default?

I think they're going to sign Eddie and Stewart. They had to lose one more contract before they could, and Milton was the man.

It's a shame that we have to win it by default, though.

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
I actually wouldn't be shocked if Cleveland made a run this year. They have some good young players.

If the Sox, MN, and KC make no significant moves, Cleveland could "2000 White Sox" their way right into the AL Central Division crown.

Brian26
12-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Hondo

I said this a couple of weeks ago. Cleveland is going to be scary in a couple of years. It may not happen this year, but very soon they're going to be scary-good. They're too young, all at the same time, not to become the next big powerhouse in the division. They've been rebuilding the right way...from the top all the way to the bottom.

Foulke You
12-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I said this a couple of weeks ago. Cleveland is going to be scary in a couple of years. It may not happen this year, but very soon they're going to be scary-good. They're too young, all at the same time, not to become the next big powerhouse in the division. They've been rebuilding the right way...from the top all the way to the bottom.

Yeah, they seem to have a lot of good position player prospects like catcher Victor Martinez and 1B Travis Hafner but I still haven't seen any good young pitching outside of CC Sabathia. The Tribe really played us tough last year and weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. If they get pitching, they could be a wild card next year.

kraut83
12-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1677419

The Philadelphia Phillies acquired left-hander Eric Milton from the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday for reliever Carlos Silva, infielder Nick Punto and a minor leaguer to be named after the Rule 5 draft, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

Oh boy, this just opened the door for us to sign Kevin Millwood!

Lip Man 1
12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Tim Kurkjian on SportsCenter last night said the Phils offered Millwood a three year, 30 million dollar deal and his agent Scott Boras said not enough, that he feels confident he can get his client more money.

Kurkjian said the Braves have expressed interest in getting Millwood back again.

Lip

FanOf14
12-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Tim Kurkjian on SportsCenter last night said the Phils offered Millwood a three year, 30 million dollar deal and his agent Scott Boras said not enough, that he feels confident he can get his client more money.

Kurkjian said the Braves have expressed interest in getting Millwood back again.

Lip

Which client will get Kenny Rogered this year? :o:

MHOUSE
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
We offered Colon similar money, maybe a little bit more. This doesn't make me any more confident that he'll end up here. I see Millwood heading elsewhere. The Yankees still have another pitcher to get if they move Weaver.

Hokiesox
12-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
WOW or division is getting bad! Maybe I should write to Bud and convince him that there should be two division champs and two wild cards next year. I'd feel bad if the Sox ended up taking a play off spot away from a team who deserved it!

POTW!!!! :) :) :)