PDA

View Full Version : Possible trade with the Red Sox

otis
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
For what it's worth....... I know someone in the in the Red Sox organization (Not Theo) that said there have been serious discussions with the White Sox about a trade, only if the Manny for AROD deal happens. The Sox would trade Magglio and Paul Konerko or Billy Koch to the Red Sox for Nomar and Johnny Damon. I don't know anything more than that, but I like the sound of that trade.

Tekijawa
12-03-2003, 12:38 PM
I'd take that trade but then we'd have 3 SS, No 2nd baseman... I would hope that there would be some plans to address this?

voodoochile
12-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by otis
For what it's worth....... I know someone in the in the Red Sox organization (Not Theo) that said there have been serious discussions with the White Sox about a trade, only if the Manny for AROD deal happens. The Sox would trade Magglio and Paul Konerko or Billy Koch to the Red Sox for Nomar and Johnny Damon. I don't know anything more than that, but I like the sound of that trade.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

I'll be shocked if that happens. Blown away, but if it does, woohoo!

Randar68
12-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I'd take that trade but then we'd have 3 SS, No 2nd baseman... I would hope that there would be some plans to address this?

I'd do it in a second, but you're going to end up paying Nomar+Damon as much as Konerko+Maggs... Although I like the production better from the Damon/Nomar combo...

Manny for ARod isn't going to happen, IMO, but stranger things have happenned...

rmusacch
12-03-2003, 12:51 PM

Nice try. Is this the same guy that was saying Buehrle was going to the Rangers?

:troll

SouthSideHitman
12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

The Sox have said that they're willing to start Hollywood at second and I'm guessing that Uribe will see a fair amout of time there too, which isn't the greatest solution in the world but would be worth it to get Damon and Nomar. All that leaves is SS and given that the Sox picked up Jose's option so quickly because they thought that it would be hard to find a good replacement on the market, I'm guessing that he could be moved pretty easily. I'm thinking maybe LA, Detroit, Baltimore or Texas.

Brian26
12-03-2003, 12:53 PM

This is your first post, so I hope you understand the skepticism.

I don't see that trade happening at all.

miker
12-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Get real...

...or is the Cheese's blockbuster from a couple weeks ago?

And as long as we are speculating completely out of our rear ends, let us look at this:

The BoSox send us two very expensive, often injured, extremely talented offensive and defensive players.

We send them our best overall player, who also is very expensive by JR standards and throw in an expensive first baseman or relief pitcher coming off their worst year ever.

I don't think so...this looks more foolish the closer you look. Why am I even commenting on it?

Brian26
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Wow, Miker thinks it's lopsided in the Carmines favor, while I think it's completely lopsided in our favor. Konerko's knees are gone, Koch's arm is gone, and Magglio is Magglio. I'd take Nomar and Damon in a heartbeat for that. Hate to give up Maggs, but this trade is a no-brainer.

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Wow, Miker thinks it's lopsided in the Carmines favor, while I think it's completely lopsided in our favor. Konerko's knees are gone, Koch's arm is gone, and Magglio is Magglio. I'd take Nomar and Damon in a heartbeat for that. Hate to give up Maggs, but this trade is a no-brainer.

Konerko's knees? When did that happen? Hip maybe, knees, never heard about. Maybe his eye for batting, but this is the first I have heard about his knees...

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Nice try. Is this the same guy that was saying Buehrle was going to the Rangers?

If he was using a different name I guess it's possible, but considering that was his his first post.... :?:

Rocky Soprano
12-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Im jumping on the "no way this happens" bandwagon.

Way too far fetched.

nodiggity59
12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
I think we would benefit more than Boston from this deal, but they'd be at a disadvantage whenever they tried to deal Nomar b/c they would HAVE to move him. The other team would have the upper hand IMO.

I see this deal happening for that reason: if the BoSox get Arod, Nomar's gotta go somewhere.

Dub25
12-03-2003, 01:08 PM

Somebody I know in the White Sox organization (Not Kenny) says that this thread sucks. Please somebody feel free to put up the proper picture because i don't know how.

nodiggity59
12-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Well, after two or three weeks and no bigs deals I think it's time to declare it:

THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE

DrCrawdad
12-03-2003, 01:14 PM

If you receive a F@#% YOU email, then we've got the same self-abuser.

miker
12-03-2003, 01:26 PM

After further review...I still don't like giving up Maggs, even while jettisoning some dead weight, for two injury-prone talents. But I can see why one would be tempted...

StepsInSC
12-03-2003, 01:36 PM

This post is a lot more low key then the posts of that dousche DontTradeKonerko.

poorme
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
That deal would never happen. It would be a steal for us.

Dadawg_77
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Interesting at least this make it seem like Kenny might be shopping around Mags.

As for the trade itself, we would lose one of the best corner outfielders in the game while adding one of the best SS and a good Center fielder. Now if the Sox can replace Mags at a 75% level with Borchard or another guy in the minors, the Sox wouldn't look too bad after this trade. They might actually be a better team since they currently have holes at SS (I don't think Jose is the solution at SS) and CF with questionable replacements in the minors.

Iwritecode
12-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by miker
Get real...

The BoSox send us two very expensive, often injured, extremely talented offensive and defensive players.

We send them our best overall player, who also is very expensive by JR standards and throw in an expensive first baseman or relief pitcher coming off their worst year ever.

I don't think so...this looks more foolish the closer you look. Why am I even commenting on it?

Actually, I took his comments as: why in the hell would Boston want to make a trade like this???

This is even worse than the people that were talking about trading Konerko, Koch and Jose for A-rod...

daveeym
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
I don't think this is as far fetched as most are making it out to be. The BoSox would have to move Nomar and captain caveman hasn't lived up to his hype. Manny's gone, they can move what's his name or konerko to full time DH. Their bullpen is horrendous so taking a shot at a healthy Koch isn't all that bad of an idea. Throw everett in the mix, since in a smaller park his defense liabilities aren't as glaring, and now you've got something.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
This post is a lot more low key then the posts of that dousche DontTradeKonerko.
This guy (otis, thread starter) registered in March 2003. I don't know if that means anything, but methinks it's not the troll from yesterday. But it could be another troll...

jeremyb1
12-03-2003, 03:13 PM
I agree this trade is incredibly unlikely but just for conversation sake, if we were to end up with Nomar or any other SS, Jose would move to 2B. Ken Rosenthal previously reported we're looking to sign Tejada or another SS and move Jose to 2B.

Tekijawa
12-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I agree this trade is incredibly unlikely but just for conversation sake, if we were to end up with Nomar or any other SS, Jose would move to 2B. Ken Rosenthal previously reported we're looking to sign Tejada or another SS and move Jose to 2B.

Why would we move him to second? He's is HORRIBLE going to his right hand side, Crede covered for him there all last year, I don't think there is a SS in the league that can cover the field enough to make up for Jose's Short Commings there! 90% of the resason his errors were down this year was because Crede was infront of him making the play! Valentin at 2nd would be a DISASTER!!!

munchman33
12-03-2003, 03:54 PM

This rumor is actually true. I have a friend in the Boston media and he said that if the Red Sox can unload Manny for Arod, they would then send Nomar and Damon to the White Sox for Maggs, Koch, and two minor league pitchers.

mikef1331
12-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Shouldn't all of these posts be in pink :D:

HITMEN OF 77
12-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Thank goodness Konerko stays! (Sorry I like the guy) But, I really don't understand this one. Why would we take two prone DL players for Maggs whom I can't ever remember being on the DL? I woudl much rather have Maggs then those 2 IMO. They can have Koch for all care. As Lee Corso says "stupid play" or in the is case "stupid deal"

Randar68
12-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Thank goodness Konerko stays! (Sorry I like the guy) But, I really don't understand this one. Why would we take two prone DL players for Maggs whom I can't ever remember being on the DL? I woudl much rather have Maggs then those 2 IMO. They can have Koch for all care. As Lee Corso says "stupid play" or in the is case "stupid deal"

Let me think.... Because he'll be gone after this year and the Sox will have nothing but 2 draft picks to show for it.

No brainer. Boston is getting robbed in this deal.

HITMEN OF 77
12-03-2003, 04:48 PM
So we would have 3 SS and maybe a 2b if Alomar comes aboard again, then what? Can we get rid of Harris and Rowand?

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 05:00 PM
If it's real, I like the deal. I'd take it in a heartbeat if I were GM (which I really am KW, dontcha' know!) Damon and Nomar are better than anyone we currently have for CF and SS. Regarding injuries, I'd rather have them here 3/4 of the year than not at all! I don't know how Jose would handle being shuffled to another position if he isn't dealt. I like Mags and want to keep him, but I see no indication that he will be with the Sox after next season. I would feel better if we got Damon and Nomar for him (What are their contract status(es or stati?) instead of a couple of prospects.

A move like would make me think that maybe KW is serious about contending next year in what is looking to be like a weaker division than last year.

Tekijawa
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
So we would have 3 SS

I pointed that out earlier but then I got to thinking that we probably would actually have 3 guys that play the position of SS but probably a collective 1.5 Shortstops, and that's if Nomar is healthy!

hold2dibber
12-03-2003, 05:04 PM

Why do people keep saying Nomar and Damon are injury risks? Nomar was hurt in '01 and missed most of the season, but setting that year aside, he has averaged 588 ABs the previous 4 years and played in 156 games in both '03 and '02. The last four years, Damon has played 159, 155, 154 and 145 games. I would hardly characterize either of them as injury prone.

Randar68
12-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why do people keep saying Nomar and Damon are injury risks? Nomar was hurt in '01 and missed most of the season, but setting that year aside, he has averaged 588 ABs the previous 4 years and played in 156 games in both '03 and '02. The last four years, Damon has played 159, 155, 154 and 145 games. I would hardly characterize either of them as injury prone.

People won't let facts get in the way once they've got their mind made up.

Hondo
12-03-2003, 05:36 PM
I just don't buy the fact Nomah' goes here. I keep hearing he's going to LA or Anaheim.

I'd love to have those two on our team. What about Valentin though?

He's played 3B but then what about Crede?

But if it comes down to it you can pass up having a guy like Garcipara on your team.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

:moron :)
"People don't want to hear the facts! It's best when you make up stories on a daily basis."

Paulwny
12-03-2003, 05:40 PM
I doubt this trade wil ever occur. Nomar has a no trade clause. When there were rumors of Boston moving him last year he stated he would only "OK" a trade to a west coast team.
All the rumors I've heard are a 3 way trade involving Bosox, texas and the Angels.

Foulke You
12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Exactly. Just like some posters on another thread classifying Latroy Hawkins as a "bum". When presented with stats that point to otherwise, they promptly look the other way.

Maggs is probably my favorite player but Nomar is an absolute stud shortstop and Johnny Damon would fill the black hole at the lead off position and give us a great glove in CF. My first choice would be to keep Maggs but if we have to trade him, PLEASE let it be this Boston deal.

Another intangible that Nomar brings to the table is a magnetic personality. Nomar is bigger than Jesus in Beantown, I think he is the type of personality and character that could bring national attention to our ballclub and boost attention in this Flub crazy city.

I already have the Sun-Times/Boston Herald headline for them:

NOMAR CHANGES HIS SOX :D:

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Almost everything has been discussed but, if I was KW, I'd definitely trade Maggs and two ?-marks as far as if they can return to their '02 form for Nomar and Damon.

Brian26
12-03-2003, 06:28 PM
So we would have 3 SS and maybe a 2b if Alomar comes aboard again, then what? Can we get rid of Harris and Rowand?

Ah, never forget that we can always tinker with the lineup. Jose in centerfield? Jose at thirdbase?

Realist
12-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Nomar would fit right in with us. When it got down to crunch time and the BoSox needed him to hit in the playoffs, he was nowhere to be found.

JaylisJP
12-03-2003, 08:41 PM
So basically, Bo Sox would go from having Manny and Nomar to Arod and Maggs? What's the point? Salary is similar as is talent, seems like an awful waste of time to swap an outfielder and a SS for the same thing, albeit a few other smaller changes thrown it. Don't believe every little stupid rumor you hear before analyzing it first.

Hondo
12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by JaylisJP
So basically, Bo Sox would go from having Manny and Nomar to Arod and Maggs? What's the point? Salary is similar as is talent, seems like an awful waste of time to swap an outfielder and a SS for the same thing, albeit a few other smaller changes thrown it. Don't believe every little stupid rumor you hear before analyzing it first.

They'd want AROD because he is the best player in the game. Nomar is a free agent after this season and there are rumblings he wants to play on the west coast.

If you've seen Manny play then you'd know why they would want him to be gone. He is immensely talented but he isn't worth his contract.

I think this deal is plausible for both sides but I just don't see Nomar coming here. I think he nixes that deal. Let's hope I'm wrong.

jordan23ventura
12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
<<Possible trade with the Red Sox
For what it's worth....... I know someone in the in the Red Sox organization (Not Theo) that said there have been serious discussions with the White Sox about a trade, only if the Manny for AROD deal happens. The Sox would trade Magglio and Paul Konerko or Billy Koch to the Red Sox for Nomar and Johnny Damon. I don't know anything more than that, but I like the sound of that trade.>>

So then whose salary would we dump in order to set up a rotation?

These guys mean nothing if there is no pitching.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2003, 10:08 PM
It wont happen because we would be giving up the best front line player we have , without the result they seek, lower payroll.

MisterB
12-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It wont happen because we would be giving up the best front line player we have , without the result they seek, lower payroll.

Maggs and Konerko for Nomar and Damon would save about $2.5M for the White Sox next year. Also Valentin becomes redundant and would be moved.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JaylisJP

If I could have either:

a) Manny and Nomar
OR
b) Maggs and Arod

I would go with choice b.

jordan23ventura
12-03-2003, 11:17 PM
<<Maggs and Konerko for Nomar and Damon would save about $2.5M for the White Sox next year. Also Valentin becomes redundant and would be moved.>>

To where? Bench?

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2003, 08:22 AM
If they can get over the many possible snags I hope the Sox could pull of a deal like this.

Beyond Nomar's reported no-trade clause, I just don't see the Rangers moving A-Rod only to take on another high-dollar basket case who plays a less important defensive position in Manny. I would think that Hicks and Hart would think of Ramirez as just a higher-priced version of the pouty and lazy Juan Gonzalez. I hope I am wrong.

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
IF this happened -- trading Koch, Maggs and two minor leaguers for Damon and Nomar -- and then they dealt Konerko and Valentin for Odalis Perez and stuff, can you imagine the 2004 Sox team?

Damon CF
Alomar 2B
Frank 1B/DH
Nomar SS
Lee LF
Crede 3B
Borchard RF/DH
Reed DH/RF
Olivo C

Remember that Frank had a terrific 1994 when Julio Franco -- not a huge power threat -- was batting cleanup right behind him. Nomar could challenge for the most RBI with Damon, Robbie and Frank hitting in front of him. So would Lee. The bottom of the lineup is iffy but no worse than the 2002 Sox, but with better speed and a much improved defensive range.

The $2.5 million saved on a Maggs and Koch for Nomar and Damon deal would allow the Sox to have a Robin Ventura homecoming to back up Frank at 1B. There ought to be enough money to re-sign Colon as well. If so, Colon, Buherle, Loaiza, Perez and Garland make up your rotation, again with a great and rangy defense behind them. Wright, Rauch, Wunsch, Ginter and Marte anchor the pen. This team wins the AL Central in a cakewalk.

otis
12-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I am not a troll!

I understand the skepticism since I am a first time poster. I have been surfing the website for a while and never had a reason to post a message. I heard this news and figured I would share it with you. Like I said, take it for what it's worth. If you want to believe that I am making it up; so be it. There is substance to this and there is a very good chance that the Manny/AROD deal happens. All I know is this:

1. There have been many scenarios discussed with Nomar and Magglio as the constants. The most likely deal is the one I mentioned yesterday.

2. The White Sox want to include Konerko, the Red Sox want Koch.

3. Other names that surfaced were Trot Nixon & Jose Valentin.

4. If it happens at all, it will happen at the GM meetings in New Orleans and it could be part of a three team trade with the Rangers.

5. I haven't heard anything about minor leaguers involved. It works out to be a money deal for all involved.

Wait a few weeks before calling me names!

Palehose13
12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
I am not a troll!

I understand the skepticism since I am a first time poster. I have been surfing the website for a while and never had a reason to post a message. I heard this news and figured I would share it with you. Like I said, take it for what it's worth. If you want to believe that I am making it up; so be it. There is substance to this and there is a very good chance that the Manny/AROD deal happens. All I know is this:

1. There have been many scenarios discussed with Nomar and Magglio as the constants. The most likely deal is the one I mentioned yesterday.

4. If it happens at all, it will happen at the GM meetings in New Orleans and it could be part of a three team trade with the Rangers.

5. I haven't heard anything about minor leaguers involved. It works out to be a money deal for all involved.

That's a lot to know. :smile: Thanks a lot Otis for sharing. I would like it to happen (Give them Koch!!!), but even if it doesn't it was fun specualting.

Foulke You
12-04-2003, 12:37 PM
I am not a troll!

Thanks for the info. If this trade turns out to be true, then you just gave WSI the scoop of the year. I love Maggs but put me on the bring "Nomah" to 35th and Shields bandwagon.

Foulke You
12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense to me based on everything we've read/heard this offseason.

What we know:

White Sox:

They want to move Magglio because he makes $14 million this year and is an unrestricted free agent in '05, they want to move Konerko because he has a big contract and had a disappointing 2003 season, they want to move Billy Koch because he has a big contract and a disappointing 2003 season. We also know that "Trader Kenny" likes to make a big splash every offseason with at least one MAJOR deal (see Bartolo Colon trade, Kenny Lofton signing, Billy Koch trade, etc.) and KW is going to be pressed to make a contender out of this team with Reinsdorf's self imposed $58 million budget. The Sox have a huge gaping hole in center field due to Carl Everett leaving via free agency. They also have no true leadoff hitter. Johnny Damon would fill both holes nicely. Valentin is 34 years old, can't hit right handed, and is in the final year of his contract. The White Sox have NOBODY in the minors ready to play shortstop so landing a talent like Nomar would be a huge move for the organization not to mention getting a franchise player to replace the one traded to Boston. Maggs is God on the South Side and I also think Kenny knows he needs to land a huge name in order to not have revolt at 35th and Shields. Valentin could be moved over to 2B or traded to sign Roberto Alomar. (As much as I love Jose, anyone else like the sound of Garciaparra, Alomar, and Damon up the middle for the White Sox?) Not to mention that both Nomar and Damon fit the "grinder" mentality that Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen have been preaching. .

Red Sox:

Tired of losing to the Yanks. Desperate to move the talented but lazy/headcase Manny Ramirez and his giant contract, Magglio would be a non-headcase/team player replacement which would give the Red Sox the Manny Ramirez production without the headaches and would give the new manager of the Red Sox (whoever it may be) a Manny-less beginning to the new season. Maggs would be scary in Fenway Park on a regular basis and would probably quickly become a fan favorite in Boston. Nomar is a free agent after '04 and there has been rumblings that he is unhappy in Boston plus the chance to bring in the game's best player (A-Rod) would be a huge "in your face" to George Steinbrenner. Boston has no closer and is also weak in the bullpen which explains why they want Foulke as a free agent and could also be demanding Koch in any possible trade with the White Sox. Johnny Damon may simply be a necessity for Boston to include in a trade if they want to land A-Rod and Maggs.

Rangers:

Former Indians GM John Hart is in love with bringing in former Indians players which could explain his desire to land Manny Ramirez. Perhaps he thinks he can control Manny better than Boston. Another plus for Manny would be that there is less media scrutiny in Arlington Texas where the players are the "good old boys" and not subject to the harsh criticism of the Boston Globe and Boston Herald on a daily basis. The Rangers also don't have high expectations to win next year which would benefit Manny's laid back style of play. Texas also want to rid themselves of the 10 year $252 million contract that A-Rod has and even though Manny's is really expensive, it pales in comparison to A-Rod's.

So there you have it, the pieces seem to fit the puzzle. We'll just have to wait and see if it happens. If it does go down, "Otis" will have made WSI scoop the Tribune, Sun-Times, ESPN, The Score, and every other media outlet in town. Even though it may not happen, hot stove talk is fun anyways. :D:

Tekijawa
12-04-2003, 03:50 PM
The Red Sox have more moves of their own, too: they're lasered in on free agent closer Keith Foulke, are talking seriously to the Rangers about a Manny Ramirez-for-Alex Rodriguez swap, and are contemplating a subsequent trade that would send Nomar Garciaparra to the Dodgers, for Kevin Brown among others.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=1678253

This should be fun to watch, it must be nice to live in Boston or Yankeeville right now!