PDA

View Full Version : You Can Bet We're Gonna Pay for This

npdempse
12-03-2003, 12:03 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0312030100dec03,1,6058891.story?coll=chi-news-hed

City will start charging the teams for traffic control this year, another part of Daley being too chicken to raise property taxes. Looks like they'll be asking the Sox for about $1mil.

So how high will Jerry raise parking fees? Do I hear $17? $20?

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0312030100dec03,1,6058891.story?coll=chi-news-hed

City will start charging the teams for traffic control this year, another part of Daley being too chicken to raise property taxes. Looks like they'll be asking the Sox for about $1mil.

So how high will Jerry raise parking fees? Do I hear $17? $20?

I thought property taxes were raised (I know mine were and will be going up again soon)...eh, I confuse who taxes for what.

The teams should pay for that service, but as you say, the problem is that JR isn't going to, we will in tickets, parking, etc.
:(:

SouthSideHitman
12-03-2003, 01:01 PM
My solution if he raises parking is just to avoid the Sox lots altogether. I've always just parked across the Ryan on the IIT campus and I've never had any problems in terms of safety or had my car vandalized. It's only maybe a ten-minute walk to the stadium (which I enjoy after the games before the car ride) and you avoid paking fees, losing your car and the intermitable waits to get in and out of the lots. I realize that for tailgaiters this doesn't work, but otherwise I urge you to try it, I always see at least 8-10 more empty spaces just in the block around where I park. It's worth the price.

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
My solution if he raises parking is just to avoid the Sox lots altogether. I've always just parked across the Ryan on the IIT campus and I've never had any problems in terms of safety or had my car vandalized. It's only maybe a ten-minute walk to the stadium (which I enjoy after the games before the car ride) and you avoid paking fees, losing your car and the intermitable waits to get in and out of the lots. I realize that for tailgaiters this doesn't work, but otherwise I urge you to try it, I always see at least 8-10 more empty spaces just in the block around where I park. It's worth the price.

That's one solution. Another would be splitting the parking amongst those who are in the car, if there are more than you in the car of course. When I go with my aunts or brother or mom, we split the parking to make it more feasible. And unless it changes, get there (if possible) 1.5 hrs before the game (5:30pm for a 7:00pm start and it is half price, or so, to begin with).

34 Inch Stick
12-03-2003, 01:44 PM
THanks Fan. I better tell the wife and kid to bring their wallets next time they want to park in the lot with me then. If I have more children I can spread the cost out even further. I know babies don't have to pay for tickets but they do have to pay for parking.

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
THanks Fan. I better tell the wife and kid to bring their wallets next time they want to park in the lot with me then. If I have more children I can spread the cost out even further. I know babies don't have to pay for tickets but they do have to pay for parking.

What's with the 'tude? :?: Did I do something to you that I don't know about? If not, step down.

It is a viable solution for some, and a solution that I know is used. I can't afford to go to many games either, but when there is an opportunity to spread some of the cost around, do it instead of sticking one person wtih it.

dllrbll7
12-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
And unless it changes, get there (if possible) 1.5 hrs before the game (5:30pm for a 7:00pm start and it is half price, or so, to begin with).

Since when is it half price if you show up early? Good idea yes but i dont think the JR would do it

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Since when is it half price if you show up early? Good idea yes but i dont think the JR would do it

It's been that way for awhile...when they last raised it, the price prior to 5:30 wasn't exactly half, but it was definitely discounted.

34 Inch Stick
12-03-2003, 03:29 PM
What's with the 'tude? :?: Did I do something to you that I don't know about? If not, step down.

It is a viable solution for some, and a solution that I know is used. I can't afford to go to many games either, but when there is an opportunity to spread some of the cost around, do it instead of sticking one person wtih it.

No problems. I was just making a joke. What does step down mean?

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Cool.

It's a phrase my sister used to use when she was arguing with me. Sort of like take it easy or back off, something like that is how she used it. I maybe older than her, but damn, that girl could kick my ass.

Eddie Gaedel
12-03-2003, 04:26 PM
It's been that way for awhile...when they last raised it, the price prior to 5:30 wasn't exactly half, but it was definitely discounted.

no, it's not.

dllrbll7
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM

Ive been to the games multiple times early and have always had to pay the full price

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Maybe I smile at that guy right or something, I know what I paid and it wasn't full price when I got there prior to 5:30. It was either $7 or $8, either way it wasn't full price.

The parking lot that I use is the one that is west of the viaduct, maybe it's just that lot, I don't know. The guy that takes my money every time is an Irish guy with white hair, medium height.

FanOf14
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
no, it's not.

I know what I pay and I know it isn't full price when I get there before 5:30. Maybe it has something to do with the particular lot, I am not sure.

steff
12-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Ive been to the games multiple times early and have always had to pay the full price

Several people have me the lots across the Dan Ryan were discounted prior to 6pm. I've never parked over there so I have no idea.

But I know that the lots we tailgate in are never discounted no matter how early you get there... and there have been times we've gotten there BEFORE the attendants are even there.

StillMissOzzie
12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by steff

But I know that the lots we tailgate in are never discounted no matter how early you get there... and there have been times we've gotten there BEFORE the attendants are even there.

Should be 100% discount if you get there before the attendants!

SMO
:gulp:

Eddie Gaedel
12-03-2003, 05:12 PM
I know what I pay and I know it isn't full price when I get there before 5:30. Maybe it has something to do with the particular lot, I am not sure.

i've always parked in the lots adjacent to the park and they're always full price. are the lots you park in run by the sox? if so, how come the discount is never advertised? what the hell is bob gallas doing!?

npdempse
12-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman

I think this will be my MO next year, whether prices are raised or not. Parked over there during the ASG and it was no problem. I also work with a woman whose dad is CPD and knows to a T where there is parking in Bridgeport that's not permit during games. I need to pump her for info before the season starts.

Eddie Gaedel
12-03-2003, 05:21 PM
i work with some people who live near the park. for the last few years they have given me a parking pass. i only park in the lots to tailgate. ask around and keep your ears open, it's surprisingly easy to find parking passes for the area.

FanOf14
12-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
i've always parked in the lots adjacent to the park and they're always full price. are the lots you park in run by the sox? if so, how come the discount is never advertised? what the hell is bob gallas doing!?

I have wondered why they don't advertise it, but I assumed that was because they didn't want to lose profit.

It's the lot west (yup - it's run by the White Sox, not sure why it isn't named on the Sox site - the guys (there are generally 2 guys taking money and about 6 directing traffic) always has one of the White Sox security passes) of the Viaduct that is west of the park. Next time I drive by, I'll write down what is on the sign for the Lot (It says White Sox and the lot letter, but I can't recall it at the moment).

If you are headed east on 35th, you would turn left on Normal to get to the lot entrance. It has 'White Sox Parking' signs around it.

It's always the same red-faced, white haired Irishman that is there (and every time my mom remarks how he looks like a chunky version of my grandda). A couple friends that I used to go to the park with told me about it a few years back, so I started going early and I always use that lot - it's easy to get out of and I can take my short cut home using that lot - shoot down to halsted to Pershing to western and down to home (to get to Mt Greenwood after a game it takes me about 20-25 minutes or so using the surface streets rather than the expressway).

jabrch
12-04-2003, 10:27 AM
is to take the red line. If you live in the city - it is a snap. If you live in the North Suburbs, it is easier than anything - just park near a northern red line stop and go from there. From the South - the Red Line runs all the way to 95th. From the West - take the Blue into the Red.

For 1.50 each way, it is the best transportation value I know of.

BTW, I like the idea of charging the wife and kids for parking. I am sure that would go over really well with my family! :)