PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to do anything this offseason?

Sell Jerry Sell!
12-03-2003, 09:21 AM
If signing Garland before he goes to arbitration and trading for Juan Uribe are our only moves this offseason after watching the flubs retool their team, it is going to be a long season! Hopefully with the revenue generated from our new cable network we'll act like a mid-revenue ball club instead of acting like Milwaukee or Pittsburgh

soxtalker
12-03-2003, 09:26 AM
As others have pointed out on this board, wait a week or two. The salary arbitration deadline coming at the end of the week should make the playing field a bit clearer. Also, the winter meetings are coming up.

DirtySouthsider
12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
IT IS STILL VERY EARLY!!!!

Rocky Soprano
12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Welcome!

Yes like everyone is saying, its still very early. It sucks that he have to sit back and wait. Especially since the girls up north are making some moves.

harwar
12-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Anyway you look at it,it appears to me that we,as White Sox fans,are entering a dark period.The cubs continue to get better while we seem to be in total disarray.If only we had a smart,veteran manager(like Jim Fregosi) i would see some light.

DirtySouthsider
12-03-2003, 09:42 AM
If the sox do anything it is going to have to be a trade. They aren't going to be signing any free agents...unless Colon. So there is no big rush to get trades done right now. I agree that it is frustrating but I do believe that KW is going to try to get something done....whether it good or bad we'll have to wait and see. But just don't expect any freeagent signings.

Dan H
12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
It is early, but let's hope the Sox do something substantial. The team cannot afford to sit by and watch while the Cubs get stronger. If this team is as talented as the media and ownership have been telling us, it is time to make some moves to get the club over the top. Talk about a small market budget won't cut it.

SSN721
12-03-2003, 11:10 AM
I think as has been posted before it is really too early to get depressed about the lack of action by Sox management. As much as I dislike the way JR runs things I also think it is unfair to assume that just because he got a new TV contract that he is automatically going to be making a lot more (or any more for that matter) money then he was before. KW seems to have a history of being completely quiet about deals and suprise everyone. Although he doesnt always hit it out of the park I think he does a decent job and manages to always field a second place worthy team. Hopefully we can do better than this but I am not ready to jump off my roof yet. (until maggs goes anyway :-( )

kempsted
12-03-2003, 10:22 PM
You know I am really starting to get disappointed with this board.
OK folks look around - only the big money teams are making moves and yes CUbs are a big money team (3 million in attendance and they have significantly raised ticket prices for next year). Teams with small budgets who are smart will wait at least until after December 7 and most likely after the Dec 20th deadlines. Many analysts think the market will be flooded at that point and people will be going cheaper. Calm down already. :chickenlittle

faneidde
12-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Sell Jerry Sell!
If signing Garland before he goes to arbitration and trading for Juan Uribe are our only moves this offseason after watching the flubs retool their team, it is going to be a long season! Hopefully with the revenue generated from our new cable network we'll act like a mid-revenue ball club instead of acting like Milwaukee or Pittsburgh
You call Juan Uribe nothing? Besides a couple pitchers, some speed, and a manager who doesn't hate our best player, he's the missing piece.

jordan23ventura
12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
So what if the Cubs are making all these moves? Last offseason they had a solid 1-4 rotation and power in right and center mixed with a bunch of garbage everywhere and minor league "saviors" that never panned out. The only one that left and put up numbers is Mueller. So what did they do? They brought in a new manager and overhauled the team, then waited until they were in contention to trade some "sure-thing" prospects for actual sure things. They retained their "core" and went from there. Not even the "Black Jesus" Dusty Baker could have won with the crap they had in '02.

KW didn't do that. New manager, no overhaul. The core of this team with the payroll restrictions given is not Maggs or Colon or Gordon or Valentin or Konerko. The core is a group of players that you can actually retain, and rely on, for a few years relatively cheaply based on the level of their performance. Marte, Olivo, Crede are your untradeable inner core. Loaiza, Lee, Thomas, and Wunsch are valuable because they are all worth the amount they are getting paid or more. Everyone else is dumpable or trade bait in my book. Yes, even Buerhle if it helps drop a guy like PK.

jabrch
12-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
You call Juan Uribe nothing? Besides a couple pitchers, some speed, and a manager who doesn't hate our best player, he's the missing piece.

Yet again with the "Frankhaters".

Do some of you people all sit around and gather to bemoan why Frank is so hated? I still don't get it. Never have - never will.

faneidde
12-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Yet again with the "Frankhaters".

Do some of you people all sit around and gather to bemoan why Frank is so hated? I still don't get it. Never have - never will.
You misunderstood my post, I am saying Guillen doesn't seem to fond of Frank. I am a huge fan of Frank, as he's probably my favorite player ever.

ma-gaga
12-04-2003, 07:29 PM
The W.Sox like to make their big 'splash' right before Soxfest.

I wouldn't expect anything major until then...

:)