PDA

View Full Version : The First Annual Flying Sock Awards...the Soxxies!

hsnterprize
12-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, Sox fans of all ages...it's time for the first annual Flying Sock Awards...otherwise known as the Soxxies!!!!!

With inspiration from the Reds' fansite (I wrote and asked for permission to use these categories, but I never heard back from the author, so I'll use this with attribution...), I've decided it should be an annual end-of-the-year tradition here at WSI/Flying Sock to honor the best of the best, the "creme de la creme", and the worst of the worst of our website. If someone who is graphically inclined create some kind of trophy for the winners, that would be great. Here's my idea...I'll write and explain the categories in this thread. People can post their ideas for nominees, and then, I'll re-post this thread with polls with the nominees for each category. After the poll expires, whoever has the most votes is the winner...it's as simple as that. And now, here are the categories. These categories are not just for the "Sox Clubhouse". Obviously, judgements are good in all categories...

MVP-Most Valuable Poster: Simply put, the best poster of the year. He/she doesn't have to have the most posts, but those postings should really hit home just about every time they're on the 'net.

Most Clever Poster: Best use of poetry, tone, statistics, one-liners, and other whims to get his/her post across.

Thread of the Year: Which thread made you think the most, whether in agreement or disagreement. Which thread made you react the quickest?

Funniest Poster: Self explanatory...who makes you laugh the hardest when he/she posts on WSI?

Rookie of the Year-Best New Poster: This poster had to have joined WSI on or after January 1, 2003, and have less than 100 posts.

Best Armchair GM: Which WSI/Flying Sock poster can run the Sox better than the current Williams/Reinsdorf regime. No sarcasm here, folks.

Most Positive Poster: Who best wears the rosy-red glasses when posting about our beloved Sox? Who best exemplifies the "glass is half-full", "there's always tomorrow" attitude in their writing?

Most Negative Poster: Who is the dreariest Sox fan on this website? Who best felects the "glass is half-empty" mantra in their posts. To the winner of this award, the Sox can do no right...might as well be a Cubs beat writer, but I'm limiting the nominations to WSI posters.

Nicest Poster: Which poster shows the most class and respect to others in his/her writings...whether in response to a positive or negative post?

Best Outsider: Best poster who's a fan of another team. Notice...NO TROLLS in this category. Even legitimate Cubs fans who post like they're halfway intelligent are eligible...if there is such an animal.

Best Moderator: Who's the best in controlling the boards...whether Sox-related or off topic?

Best Use of Emoticons/Taglines: Who uses the graphics or one-liners in their posts/signatures better than the rest?

Post of the Year: No explanation needed.

Okay y'all, here how I want to do this. I'll read the posts connected to this thread over the next couple of weeks. About mid-month, I'll repost this in a series of polls in which fellow WSIers can vote for their winners. And then in early-January, I'll announce the winners of the highly-coveted Soxxie. Have fun, and good luck to all.

Hokiesox
12-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Best armchair would have to be anyone

idseer
12-03-2003, 08:06 AM
how about best stick-in-the-mud poster? i'll start.

i HATE this idea. why does everything have to turn into a contest of some sort. nothing like making all those that don't win anything feel like they're losers somehow.
now we'll get people posting here with their eye on capturing an award instead of simply speaking from their hearts. who needs that? are we afraid people aren't enjoying this experience enough as it is?

personally i wouldn't expect to win diddly .... BUT .... if nominated, i'd refuse to run. if elected, i'd refuse to serve!

Hokiesox
12-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by idseer
if elected, i'd refuse to serve!

Darnit, we'll have to find someone else to serve us our beer. That's ok, you're probably not blond and female anyway.

:) :gulp:

savafan
12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
I was the author on the Cincinnati board. I sent you back a PM saying it was cool to use them, but maybe it didn't go through.

MarqSox
12-03-2003, 08:27 AM
May I suggest we add a couple categories? I think we should also have a Parking Lot MVP and a Politically Incorrect MVP. Or something to that effect. And I think there should be a category for Best WSI Ambassador.

MVP-Most Valuable Poster: steff

Parking Lot MVP: Viva

Politically Incorrect MVP: Chisox Cali (honorable mention: wilkes)

Most Clever Poster: cheeses

Thread of the Year:

Funniest Poster: Xerxes

Rookie of the Year-Best New Poster: Palehose13

Best Armchair GM: Daver

Most Positive Poster: voodoo

Most Negative Poster: Lip (dishonorable mention: Jerko)

Nicest Poster: Nellie

Best Outsider: Vic

Best Moderator: Daver

Best Use of Emoticons/Taglines: King

Best WSI Ambassador: Hangar

Post of the Year:

Iwritecode
12-03-2003, 02:36 PM
I have to admit, this is something that will be extremely difficult. At least for me it will. I have a habit of reading and responding only to the post and not really paying a lot of attention to who wrote it. A lot of the time I can recognize the poster more by their signature than anything else. Of course there are certain names that stick out more than others either because they've been on this site for years or because of their certain style of posting. Other than that, there are a lot of posters on here that all kind of blend into each other. It also makes a difference if they don't post a whole lot. This place has just gotten so huge it's hard to really pick out one or two people for a specific trait.

Secondly, a couple of the categories are quite limited. Best moderator must be between PHG, Daver, Voodoo , Wilkes and FWC. Best outside poster is limited to Vic, Ma-gaga, Boog_Alou, fhqwhgad and the various Marlins fans that ventured over here during the Cubs/Marlins series. Outcastradio used to post here a lot but I haven't seen him in years.

I'll sit and think about it and see what I can come up with though but I won't promise anything. I just hope nobody takes this seriously or gets offended for being left out.

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2003, 03:21 PM
The "Great Pontificator" Award: Viva Magglio. Also gets my nod for President of the MOALS (Magglio Ordonez Arse Licking Society)

The "Down On The Farm" Award: Daver, for his great knowledge of the Sox minor leaguers

The "Reynolds Wrap" Award (for all the tinfoil he uses to tune into the conspiracy theories beamed down from space): Hangar18

The "Half Empty Cup Of Dunkin' Donuts Coffee" award: Lip

The Jerry Seinfeld award (ability to go on about stuff like coffee makers and Green Goddess dressing and make it sound great): our fearless leader, PHG.

The "Politically Incorrect Voltaire Award" ("I don't agree with a word you say but will defend to my death your right to say it"): 3 way tie between MarqSox, SoCalUIC and Voodoo, for their eloquent arguments that never stoop to the level of personal attacks/name-calling.

Chisox_cali
12-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Politically Incorrect MVP: Chisox Cali (honorable mention: wilkes)

What the hell? :) I did not know I was Politically Incorrect. I don't even think I have 1 post in that particular forum.

Hangar18
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
and I humbly accept

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
What the hell? :) I did not know I was Politically Incorrect. I don't even think I have 1 post in that particular forum.

I think he meant SoCalUIC, who seems to have disappeared.

santo=dorf
12-03-2003, 04:15 PM
How about some awards dedicated to the usernames? Most offensive, funniest, longest, confusing.

MarqSox
12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I think he meant SoCalUIC, who seems to have disappeared.
Indeed.

BTW wilkes, the Voltaire award goes right back atcha.

oheeoh...magglio
12-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Best armchair would have to be anyone

Hahaha, so true.

I would put my nominations, but I am too lazy to type all of that out with that many categories. Maybe I should win the laziest poster award :cool:

steff
12-03-2003, 04:45 PM

MVP-Most Valuable Poster: steff

No doubt I got this nod due to my lack of knowledge of anything, and the fact that I know no one.. :D:

In all seriousness MarqSox... thank you for the thought. No matter what PHG says.. you're alright.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Rookie of the Year-Best New Poster: Palehose13

Thanks Marq! I better slow it down so I don't make myself ineligible with more than 100 posts.

:ozzie:
"I'm the original Palehose 13 ROY!"

hsnterprize
12-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
How about some awards dedicated to the usernames? Most offensive, funniest, longest, confusing. That's a good idea. We'll have categories for usernames like you said...Most Offensive...Funniest Username...Longest Username...Most Confusing...or how about things like Most Original Username...Cheesiest Username...keep the thoughts coming. Someone mentioned a "WSI Ambassador" award. Whoever said that...define the criteria for the award, and I'll consider it.

As for the rest of you, thanks for taking some time to think about these "awards". I know it's only for kicks and giggles, but I'd like to put some serious effort into this. If enough people contribute to their "nominations", then I can really put on a good "show" to kinda put an exclamation mark on this project. I'm only doing this for fun, and I'm sorry I don't have anything like super-expensive goodie bags for the nominees and winners. However, I think something like an avatar with a golden "Flying Sock" trophy might be nice with posts. But, I think that should be limited to the actual awards. Suggestions for new categories will be taken into advisement.

What I'd like to do, like I said in the first post, is to gather all the "nominations" into a series of polls around mid-December...or at the latest, Christmas week. And then, I'd like for those polls to be open for a couple of weeks to people can have time to vote. And then, I'd like to post an "awards show" in early-January where I announce the winners. I'll recuse myself from voting since I'm running this shindig, but if I'm nominated for anything, I'll make sure I don't vote for myself. Thanks for the participation. Let's see how this turns out.

Stoky44
12-03-2003, 11:23 PM
When are these awords going to be given out? I can't post anymore because I will hit 100 and be out of the running for the best rookie. J/K most of you guys prob don't even remember some of my posts. All I can say is don't forget the black uniform pants idea was mine. lol. This is a great idea to give out awards, I just wish I payed more attention to the names of the people who posted.

doublem23
12-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Soxxies sounds too much like "Cubbies" and I'm not going down that road.

Baby Fisk
12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Can there be an award for "BIGGEST CANADIAN STUD POSTER?" :cool:

Dadawg_77
12-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Can there be an award for "BIGGEST CANADIAN STUD POSTER?" :cool:

IateCanada for that one

Iwritecode
12-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
IateCanada for that one

I don't think he's from Canada though...

MarqSox
01-25-2004, 03:37 PM
I was disappointed this thread died ... hsnterprize, how about that poll you promised?

SoxxoS
01-25-2004, 03:59 PM
I know I have got to get the award for "Least known Church Elder" :smile:

TornLabrum
01-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I know I have got to get the award for "Least known Church Elder" :smile:

Have you been around before? :D:

hsnterprize
01-25-2004, 08:27 PM
I was disappointed this thread died ... hsnterprize, how about that poll you promised? Sorry. I let the thread die because there wasn't a lot of legit input to it. Yeah...there were a lot of posts, but most of them were more off-the-wall. I really wanted to try and get a really good thing going, but I guess I was the only one who took it seriously.

Thanks for asking about it, though. At least you were looking into it like I was. If other posters were doing the same thing and submitting nominations like I'd originally suggested...who knows? I'll try again at a later time. But for now, it's time to put those Soxxies awards back in storage.

southsidegirl
01-25-2004, 08:31 PM
I hate to be the bubble burster, but if this is the first ever, why should it be called "annual." I believe the correct term is "inaugural".

hsnterprize
01-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
I hate to be the bubble burster, but if this is the first ever, why should it be called "annual." I believe the correct term is "inaugural". When I first came up with the idea, it was done so that if this year's edition was successful, then I'd do this again next off season and so on. Who knows...if this thread gets new life, I just might consider trying it again.