View Full Version : Anaheim offers Colon a contract

savafan
12-03-2003, 01:19 AM
According to MSG Sportsdesk, 4 years at 48 million

jeremyb1
12-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by savafan
According to MSG Sportsdesk, 4 years at 48 million

Wow, I gotta think there's a good chance he'll accept.

nodiggity59
12-03-2003, 02:25 AM
If Colon really did like Chicago like he said (seems stupid now but), then he won't accept this offer

Frank the Tank
12-03-2003, 02:53 AM
I think Colon is going to wait and see if the Brown / Weaver trade materializes before he signs with the Angels. Either way, chances look very slim that he will be on the South Side next year. I'd be shocked if KW beats the Anaheim offer. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Rocky Soprano
12-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Wow, thats a pretty big offer. For that money they can have him.

Eddie Gaedel
12-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Wow, thats a pretty big offer. For that money they can have him.

i agree. there is no way he will be healthy/productive for 4 years. just think what 4 years of gyros does to a body...

thepaulbowski
12-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
i agree. there is no way he will be healthy/productive for 4 years. just think what 4 years of gyros does to a body...

and breaded steak sandwiches from Ricobene's. He may actually lose weight out there, terrible hot dogs. :)

fledgedrallycap
12-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Has anyone heard anything in terms of Ponson? I never read his name in any of the talks related to the Yanks or other big spenders. I know KW really wanted him down the stretch last year and I say go get him, Colon isn't worth the money Anehiem just threw his way.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 09:00 AM
I heard on the score this morning that KW offered Colon 3 yrs./30 million, none of the $$$ deferred. Anyone else hear this or was I sleeping through the drive?

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Has anyone heard anything in terms of Ponson? I never read his name in any of the talks related to the Yanks or other big spenders. I know KW really wanted him down the stretch last year and I say go get him, Colon isn't worth the money Anehiem just threw his way.

Agreed. The Sox proved that throwing money around with reckless abandon is foolish, especially when your overall payroll is limited by self-imposed restrictions.

Example #1 is Albert Belle
Example #2 is Jaime Navarro
Example #3 is Paul Konerko

I'm also glad that they didn't waste money on long-term deals with Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Jason Bere, Mike Sirotka and James Baldwin. Yes, the Sox must be more liberal with payroll. But they must also be smart about whom they sign. Colon for 4 years/$48 million is foolish. If they could get Pettitte for that money, maybe, but not for Colon.

While as a Sox fan I don't necessarily like Reinsdorf's unwillingness to sign free agents to generous long-term contracts, I can understand his motivation, having been burned with some bad contracts. I don't necessarily blame him for being tight-fisted, I blame him for making some really bad decisions both on and off the field.

Blueprint1
12-03-2003, 09:14 AM
wow there is no way the sox can pay that kind of money. I am actually getting kind of sad about this whole deal. I mean the team on the other side of town can throw money everywhere. We seem to be stuck in a place where we can pay some people but not keep a team together. I know i shouldn't care what the cubs do but its hard not to. I hope that somehow we can find another Gem out there like E-lo last year. Right now the season does not look good for the sox sadly. Wow and i was trying to be positive this whole off season.

jabrch
12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
That's what amazes me. 3/36 isn't terrible, but 4/48 is unbelievable. Nobody insures MLB contracts past 3 years anymore - so the team is risking the entire 4th year. With SPs (certainly larger ones) tending to break down at a certain point, I can't see this as a good idea. I would think the Angels would be able to lure a better SP than Bartolo. I guess not - but....

Mammoo
12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
and breaded steak sandwiches from Ricobene's....

Oh man...you're killing me...when's lunch??? :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Two comments...

First does anybody know if any of Anaheim's offer is "deferred" money? That could be important.

Second, assuming Anaheim's offer is legit (and we still don't know for sure...) it kind of shoots holes in the posters who were saying that the market is going to be depressed and Colon was a fool for turning the Sox down doesn't it?

My opinion...pitching wins pennants and no matter how much the market is depressed, no matter how much collusion may be going around, top pitchers and going to get top money regardless of the risk.

Until the Sox come to grips with this 'fundamental law' of baseball they are going to be behind the eight ball.

Lip

anewman35
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Second, assuming Anaheim's offer is legit (and we still don't know for sure...) it kind of shoots holes in the posters who were saying that the markey is going to be depressed and Colon was a fool for turning the Sox down doesn't it?

Not really. It's a better offer than the Sox, sure, but it's still not really close to what he would have gotten a few years ago.

jshanahanjr
12-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Maybe the Sox can get Ponson & Garcia instead of Colon? I heard that the M's might let Garcia go instead of offering him arbritation. How about Adam Kennedy @ second? He has a ring and might not cost that much bling bling.

Blueprint1
12-03-2003, 11:33 AM
I guess there are other options. It seems like there are so many other teams that can spend and spend its hard to believe the sox are in the 3rd largest market in the US.

Chisoxfn
12-03-2003, 02:37 PM
MSG is full of crap. I live in the Anaheim area, a little less then 15 minutes from the stadium and I haven't heard or read anything about the Angels making an offer to Colon.

Everything I have heard is that the Angels for the time being are done looking at pitching and are concerned with adding an outfield bat, more specifically Vladdy.

However, Moreno did say at the beginning of the offseason that Colon was their number 1 target, but he project the payroll to be 90 mill or so and with what they currently have plus Escobar I don't see them being able to fit him in at that.

I think this is BS...I was listening to sports radio for the last hour (On my way from school to home...then from home to work). Not once did I hear any mention of that and I would think that would be a big deal cause Colon and Escobar would seriously change the Angels rotation. And yes thats a ridiculous amount to offer him.

Schill just got 12.5 a year and while I'd rather give Colon a multi year deal then Schill...Schill's value baseball wise is still a lot more then Colon. Mix that with the fact that the Yanks are rumored to be after Brown and are close to getting Vazquez (another report from this same news outfit...so probably a bunch of bs too, especially when they said the hold up is whether Rivera is a part of the deal too. Trust me, Johnson and Rivera for Vazquez ain't gonna happen. So I find that this is all a bunch of crap...plain and smiple.

IF the Sox in fact offered 3 yr 30 mill with no defferred money then I think Colon will be a White Sox sometime in the next week or so. Possibly after the winter meetings as the Sox would probably like to move payroll first, but who knows.

This report probably has as much credibility as my 3 way trade idea where:

Yanks trade: Weaver, Soriano, Johnson, prospect, and cash considerations (To pay part of Weaver's deal)
Yanks Recieve: Magglio Ordonez and Kevin Brown
Dodgers Trade: Odalis Perez and Kevin Brown
Dodgers Receive: Jose Valentin, Jeff Weaver, Cash Considerations, Nick Johnson
White Sox Trade: Magglio Ordonez and Jose Valentin
White Sox Recieve: Alfonso Soriano and Odalis Perez

nodiggity59
12-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Lip

You said:

"Until the Sox come to grips with this 'fundamental law' of baseball they are going to be behind the eight ball."

I agree wholeheartedly but that doesnt change the fact that 4 years from now Colon may not even pitch and he'll cost 12mil. This is a stupid deal. GOOD pitching, not just pitching, is the key to success. The Sox could split that salary between younger, mid priced arms that won't surely backfire like this deal would.

Still, I am in favor of a three year, 10mil, non deferred contract for Colon on the assumption the 3rd year he won't do very well but 2 bad years at 12mil is suicide for this or any organization.

MHOUSE
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
4 years seems like a big commitment. I like keeping a core team together, but in reality 3 years is about the max you can go nowadays when you factor in payroll going up and down, production, injuries, and eventually trading players in the last year. My MAXIMUM for Colon would be 3 years $30-33 million and reportedly the Sox were there or above and he said no. :angry: If he can get 4 years $48 million from the Yankees or Angels or anyone else then they can have him. You can't blame KW for not trying. It just seems like these free agents are as interested in playing here as playing in Detroit or Cleveland. *sigh*

Hondo
12-03-2003, 04:38 PM
If Colon was so fat this season in a contract year, imagine what he'll look like after a 4 year deal. :)

I really like Colon. I hope we can ink him to a two year deal.