PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins signs with cubs

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-02-2003, 09:04 PM
link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-031202cubshawkins,1,7375962.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

well atleast hes outta the al now. he kills us

Lip Man 1
12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Hawkins stated over the summer that he grew up rooting for the Cubs. It was the same interview where he said Sox fans didn't support their team since they never show up when the club is bad.

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hawkins stated over the summer that he grew up rooting for the Cubs. It was the same interview where he said Sox fans didn't support their team since they never show up when the club is bad.

Lip

I remember many empty seats at the twinkie dome when they were getting their asses handed to them. The only fans that i know of that support the team when they're bad is the team on the other side of town. And most of those fans are not there for baseball. They're there for the worlds largest single's bar/ beer garden.

Shut your trap Latroy!

Chisox_cali
12-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Screw it, he's not with the Twins anymore, won't cause us a headache next year when he sox play them.

Palehose13
12-02-2003, 09:16 PM
I can't stand guys who don't know how to wear a baseball hat correctly.

DirtySouthsider
12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
I hate to say it but the Cubs are starting to look very good. They still have a few holes but at this rate they're going to fill'em. They are one of the few teams looking to take on more money.

Chisox_cali
12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
The Twins were 20th, 20th, and 25th (with the Sox not that far behind) the last three seasons in attendence, so LaTroy shouldn't be one to talk.

Palehose13
12-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I hate to say it but the Cubs are starting to look very good.

Bite your tongue! :o:

DirtySouthsider
12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Bite your tongue! :o:

I wish I could just bury my head in the sand and make it all go away! :(:

emaholic
12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I hate to say it but the Cubs are starting to look very good. They still have a few holes but at this rate they're going to fill'em. They are one of the few teams looking to take on more money.

I think I'm going to cry.......... :whiner:

nodiggity59
12-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Well, at least we have Uribe.

Honestly though - the Cubs last two high profile relievers were Alfonseca and Gordon - so don't lose hope.

CubKilla
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
They're gonna need Latroy when Wood and Zambrano go down in '04 with arm, elbow, and/or shoulder troubles :D: .

cheeses_h_rice
12-02-2003, 10:24 PM
The second good pickup by the Flubs so far this offseason.

:(:

Soxfest
12-02-2003, 10:33 PM
I like Hawkins alot , good signing for the Cubs

flo-B-flo
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The second good pickup by the Flubs so far this offseason.

:(: They are trying to win it. We are sitting on our.....what.......... Money? SELL ITS THE ONLY HOPE!!!!!!

jeremyb1
12-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I'd still take him in a heartbeat.

minastirith67
12-02-2003, 11:57 PM
While I am glad that Hawkins is not with the twinkies anymore, it still saddens me to see him with the cubs. It depresses more than irritates me to see them go out and spend the money while the Sox reduce their payroll. :(:

Guess we'll have to trade Magglio...or have those rumors died off?

Gumshoe
12-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Another good pickup by the Cubs. they do need another bat. Alou is untrustworthy to expect any more, Zambrano probably won't replicate ... but they have Remlinger AND Hawkins now in the pen. One more bat, they'll be REAL tough, esp. in that division.

Jerry is counting his Benzitos in the meanwhile, assmunch

G

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
One more bat, they'll be REAL tough, esp. in that division.

They need that bat from the LH-side of homeplate.

And I'm not really losing my perspective so far with all of the offseason moves thus far. I know JR and KW ain't gonna do **** as far as a blockbuster, Organization changing deal this offseason to better the team (when the trade/deal does happen, guaranteed w/KW GM'ing things we get screwed one way or the other..... BOOK IT!) and I know the Cubs are still the Cubs. History is on our side when it comes to the Cubs and back-to-back >.500 seasons.

Frank the Tank
12-03-2003, 02:33 AM
I really hate to admit it, but the cubs look solid. It makes me laugh to think that the Cubs and BoSox might very well be pre-season favorites to make it to the WS. I just thought of something pretty depressing. How big of a joke is the 2004 AL Central going to be?

Minnesota - dumping payroll
White Sox - dumping payroll
Cleveland - rebuilding
Kansas City - terrible team that plays well at times
Detroit - absolutely terrible

As it stands, this has to be the worst division in baseball. I am going to make a prediction: The 2004 AL Central division champ will have a losing record.

white sox bill
12-03-2003, 06:50 AM
I'm w/what cubkilla said--flubs never have back-to-back above .500 yrs.

So ahead and add to payroll scrubs. Hopefully that will make for some real good bitchin' and complaining when they are 12 games out, 15 games below .500 in August!
Bill

ma-gaga
12-03-2003, 08:11 AM
3 years $11MM total is a good price. LeTroy has been fantastic the last two years, after struggling in every other role that the Twins used him at. It's a little cheaper than I thought he'd get. I expected him to get $4MM/year.

I have no way to sugar coat this deal for the Twins, other then that this Joe Nathan fellow that they got for Pierzynski is supposed to be pretty good and cheaper than $3.75MM.

and compensation draft picks...

and LeTroy is a little bit of a headcase. He's fine most of the time, but he's always a little 'persecuted'. We'll see how he handles the media in Chicago. My guess is that someone gets under his skin in the next year and LeTroy makes an ass of himself.

Got to get to work...

:)

Rocky Soprano
12-03-2003, 08:42 AM
As much as I hate to say it, The Flubs are only getting stronger. But Im sure they will still find a way to choke, I hope!

Dub25
12-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I really hate to admit it, but the cubs look solid. It makes me laugh to think that the Cubs and BoSox might very well be pre-season favorites to make it to the WS. I just thought of something pretty depressing. How big of a joke is the 2004 AL Central going to be?

Minnesota - dumping payroll
White Sox - dumping payroll
Cleveland - rebuilding
Kansas City - terrible team that plays well at times
Detroit - absolutely terrible

As it stands, this has to be the worst division in baseball. I am going to make a prediction: The 2004 AL Central division champ will have a losing record.

I said this a few weeks ago in a different post. It's a race to see who could be worse than the Tigers first.

Dub25
12-03-2003, 12:42 PM
I read today that Hawkins could challenge Borowski for the closer role. I hope he wins and reverts to the 6+ ERA days when he was a closer and a starter before that. For some reason he's been lights out as a set-up man.

Mammoo
12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Major signing by Hendry. Their middle relief (Alfonseca, Veres and Guthrie) was putrid.

They were 5 outs away from the World Series and have improved themselves dramtaically the last couple of weeks!

vegyrex
12-04-2003, 10:04 AM
But he has a career 5.05 ERA. That doesn't seem like a good thing for a relief pitcher.