PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's Pockets Just got Fatter!

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 03:59 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031202/phtu049_1.html

Wonder how much he made of this? NOW GO GET A STARTING PITCHER!!!

Comcast Forms Cable Network With Chicago Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs and White Sox
Tuesday December 2, 4:37 pm ET
Comcast SportsNet Chicago to Launch October 1, 2004
Number of Games Available on Television, Basic Cable Remains Unchanged

PHILADELPHIA and CHICAGO, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast Cable, in conjunction with affiliates of the Chicago Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, and White Sox, today announced the formation of Comcast SportsNet Chicago, a new 24-hour regional sports network serving Chicago-area sports fans. The cable provider and the four sports teams will jointly own the network, which will launch on October 1, 2004. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
(VC edit: please don't post whole articles. The link is enough. Thanks)

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 04:03 PM
WooHoo, we get more Sox games! :D:

And yes Im sure JR's pockets did get a bit heavier. For once, give back to the team!

Dadawg_77
12-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Hopefully this makes it to DirecTV

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Hopefully this makes it to DirecTV

Ditto.

I heard that the NBA started some kind of 24 hour BB channel. I heard DirecTV picked it up, do you have to pay extra for it cause I havent seen it.

KingXerxes
12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
:reinsy

"Now if I can only figure out how to charge someone listening to the game on the radio."

Okay - Here's what I didn't get from the article. Is this new station going to be a Premium Channel right off the bat, or are they going to give it free for little while before stinging everybody for $25 a month?

"$25 a month HA! Try $25 per event, and a minimum of 200 events per year!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA - I'll break you all!"

joecrede
12-02-2003, 04:29 PM
My memory is somewhat fuzzy on this, but I recall reading that during the wrongful death trial of his assistant Sheri Berto some years ago, JR testified that Comcast(?) made an offer of 500M to buy the Sox, Bulls and 50% of the United Center.

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
More uncertain is how the move will affect the thousands of viewers who now watch Fox Sports Net games via satellite, through DirecTV and other providers. It is not clear whether Comcast, which considers satellite providers competitors, would shut out those viewers.

From the Trib Article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031201kirk,1,2005325.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
More uncertain is how the move will affect the thousands of viewers who now watch Fox Sports Net games via satellite, through DirecTV and other providers. It is not clear whether Comcast, which considers satellite providers competitors, would shut out those viewers.

From the Trib Article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031201kirk,1,2005325.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Now that would suck!

There is no way I want to drop DirecTV, I hope the pick up the channel.

Can comcast do that?

thecell
12-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
My memory is somewhat fuzzy on this, but I recall reading that during the wrongful death trial of his assistant Sheri Berto some years ago, JR testified that Comcast(?) made an offer of 500M to buy the Sox, Bulls and 50% of the United Center.

What would be better...a corporate owner or JR and his pals?

Randar68
12-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

From the Trib Article:

Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks and Cubs on top of it??? Why would Direct TV or any carrier even bother to carry FSN anymore?

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks and Cubs on top of it??? Why would Direct TV or any carrier even bother to carry FSN anymore?

I think the article is questioning if DirecTV users would get access to the games as Comcast is a Competitor... I think FSN is pretty much done!

Eddie Gaedel
12-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

i don't see fsn/chicago existing for too much longer.

cheeses_h_rice
12-02-2003, 04:46 PM
If Comcast does not allow this channel to be purchased for DirecTV customers, I *will* go Postal.

thecell
12-02-2003, 04:48 PM
comcast BETTER allow DirecTV to broadcast this channel.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 04:49 PM
There has to be some kind of regulation that wont allow Comcast to shut everyone else off. Right?

Could it be considered some kind of monolopy?

Down with Comcast! :angry:

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Look when the contract goes into effect!

OCT. 1, 2004

The day our march to the WORLD SERIES Starts!!!

Eddie Gaedel
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
DirecTv and Dish already carry Comcast SportsNet (Mid-Atlantic), out east. I'm sure it won't be a problem here.

Foulke You
12-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Say goodbye to Fox Sports Net Chicago and hello to Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Does this mean I won't be able to watch "You Gotta See This!" and the Troutmaster Fishing Competitions anymore? :D:

COMCAST SPORTS CHICAGO (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20031202&content_id=610709&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

soxnut
12-02-2003, 05:49 PM
I hope that this new network really has a local flavor to it, when games are not on. I'd like to see programming of classic games, post-season games(not that there'd be that many of those) and other games of historical significance. And no stupid infomercials like FSN has during the day.

Also, it would be great that, during baseball season, if there was a rain delay, that they would show baseball related programming,(world series, all-star games) like they used to do. I thought that was a great way to learn about some historical baseball facts and figures.

I remember as a kid, watching a Sox or Cubs game......a rain delay, and Carey or Brickhouse would say "Ok, folks we're in a rain delay, so now we'll go to the 1959 World Series, between the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers"..... :D: :smile:

Foulke You
12-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Doh!! Sorry, I didn't notice someone already posted this under a different thread.

Soxfest
12-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Dam , it took us 10 years to get FSN and I live only 90 miles south of Chicago. :angry:

doogiec
12-02-2003, 07:22 PM
If this works out the way I read it would a couple of weeks ago, it could have interesting revenue possibilities for the Sox. Currently, FSN pays a flat fee to broadcast Sox games. This fee was negotiated in the past and has nothing to do with the quality of the team and its ratings.

Under this deal, the Sox would actually not receive as much in guaranteed money (if anything), but would receive the advertising revenue generated by the games, which is of course highly dependant on ratings. Therefore if the Sox field a lousy team, revenue will be lower than it is currently. The flip side of course is if ratings are good, more money.

I believe this puts more pressure on the Sox to win.

Brian26
12-02-2003, 07:27 PM
I wonder if the poor suckers in town who are stuck with RCN Cable will be able to get this channel? I just switched from RCN to Comcast (although I only moved about 8 blocks in river north), and Comcast is 10 times better.

emaholic
12-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Then, will Full Access still be around? I love that show.

duke of dorwood
12-02-2003, 08:43 PM

I havent spent the $ you clowns paid for ON TV in the 80's

Lip Man 1
12-02-2003, 09:25 PM
The question about whether Comcast is going to allow this new network on Dish Network and Direct TV is a valid one.

Yes the Comcast Sports Network is on Dish Network as one of the regional sports channels but the YES Network which is the Yankees regional sports channel is not.

I would very much hope that it is on the satellites but there are no guarantees.

Lip

SoxxoS
12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question about whether Comcast is going to allow this new network on Dish Network and Direct TV is a valid one.

Yes the Comcast Sports Network is on Dish Network as one of the regional sports channels but the YES Network which is the Yankees regional sports channel is not.

I would very much hope that it is on the satellites but there are no guarantees.

Lip

On the DirectTV subject-The YES network is on direct TV. It is channel 622.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2003, 09:44 PM
That's interesting because it is not on Dish Network.

Lip

Palehose13
12-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Anyone have any idea if this will effect Digital Cable's MLB extra inning package?

guillen4life13
12-02-2003, 10:06 PM
FSN has only had two uses in my life:

You Gotta See This

and

The Best Damn Sports Show... Period!

Such useless crap.

So in the print of this deal, where does WGN fit in? Will they still broadcast most scrubs games?

CubKilla
12-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Down with Comcast! :angry:

Watch it. I own stock in Comcast :D: .

hose
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
I would imagine that Comcast will sell the games to other catv and satellite systems doing business in Chicago.

The catch will be that Comcast will try to get you to switch to their service (where applicable) by offering the sports channel at a better price than it's competitors.

Example : with Comcast you can get the new sports channel with basic +.

Competing systems whose customers want the sports channel will have to pay at a premium + price.

kempsted
12-02-2003, 11:14 PM
WooHoo, we get more Sox games! :D:

And yes Im sure JR's pockets did get a bit heavier. For once, give back to the team! :?: :?:
All 162 games are done now how do we get more games? They are just having the Fox Sports Net games on Comcast - and if they don't have the Comcast plus that means we will actually lose some games because of Cubs Sox game time conflicts. I don't see how this is a good thing at all

Dadawg_77
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
A service provider pay the channel a fee to carry there channel. I think read that ESPN earns about a billion dollars in these fees. The YES network charges very high fees to carry it so some providers do not. Hopefully this new venture won't do that.

hose
12-03-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
If Comcast does not allow this channel to be purchased for DirecTV customers, I *will* go Postal.

From John Jackson's article in today's Times:

.........Besides being carried on Comcast systems, Comcast SportsNet Chicago also will pursue agreements with other cable systems and satellite providers such as DirecTV to carry the channel.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-tv03.html

Rocky Soprano
12-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Watch it. I own stock in Comcast :D: .

:D:

Did the stock go up after the announcement?

Hokiesox
12-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Will Blackhawks home games be televised?

miker
12-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Will Blackhawks home games be televised?

Not as long as Dollar Bill and Rocky and Bullwinkle and all the other Wirtzes are in charge!

Also don't be surprised if this turns into a premium channel after getting everyone hooked on it for a couple years. Anyone remember free ATMs?

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Perhaps this is PI or Parking Lot material, but Senator John McCain (R-Arizona) is backing an effort to allow cable customers more choice in the channels they receive. Here (http://mccain.senate.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newscenter.ViewPressRelease&Content_id=766) is a letter from McCain that explains his position, and this (http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2003-10-24-cabe-costs_x.htm) is a USA Today story on the broader issue.

What we need is for customers nationwide to be able to select the cable channels that they want from a menu, with a fee per channel of, say, $5. Cable companies actually could make more money on such a plan.

In any case, if Sen. McCain (and I) had his way, we Sox fans living in other parts of the country would be able to see Sox games on TV (the same for all the other NBA, MLB and NHL teams as well).

Lip Man 1
12-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately pro sports leagues have always been concerned with 'superstations' or satellite broadcasts because they feel they cut into their own attendance and hurt interest in the local team.

In the book "The Lords Of The Realm", John Helyar quotes the Reds as saying that more Atlanta Braves games were shown in the Cincinnati market over the course of a year then the Reds themselves.

At least for now MLB hasn't gotten used to the idea of this being a free flowing society with people moving constantly and not being loyal to teams where they currently happen to live.

I don't think you'll ever see the pro leagues agree to let cable customers pick and choose what channels they want to watch. For example a person in Arizona getting the new White Sox channel without blackout restrictions.

They're thinking that if a Sox fan wants to see his team badly enough he can pay to buy a ticket and go see then when they come to Phoenix. I realize it may only be once or twice but MLB feels that all of these once or twice purchases all add up.

Lip

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Unfortunately pro sports leagues have always been concerned with 'superstations' or satellite broadcasts because they feel they cut into their own attendance and hurt interest in the local team.

In the book "The Lords Of The Realm", John Helyar quotes the Reds as saying that more Atlanta Braves games were shown in the Cincinnati market over the course of a year then the Reds themselves.

At least for now MLB hasn't gotten used to the idea of this being a free flowing society with people moving constantly and not being loyal to teams where they currently happen to live.

I don't think you'll ever see the pro leagues agree to let cable customers pick and choose what channels they want to watch. For example a person in Arizona getting the new White Sox channel without blackout restrictions.

They're thinking that if a Sox fan wants to see his team badly enough he can pay to buy a ticket and go see then when they come to Phoenix. I realize it may only be once or twice but MLB feels that all of these once or twice purchases all add up.

Lip

that's why they sell a season package for all/most games around teh league....

Dub25
12-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Say goodbye to Fox Sports Net Chicago and hello to Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Does this mean I won't be able to watch "You Gotta See This!" and the Troutmaster Fishing Competitions anymore? :D:

COMCAST SPORTS CHICAGO (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20031202&content_id=610709&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

OH crap. This could mean the end to 54321. I need my daily dose of the busty beauty Leeann Tweeden. :whiner: :whiner:

CubKilla
12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
:D:

Did the stock go up after the announcement?

I didn't check. It was up today though :D: !

Brian26
12-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Perhaps this is PI or Parking Lot material, but Senator John McCain (R-Arizona) is backing an effort to allow cable customers more choice in the channels they receive. Here (http://mccain.senate.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newscenter.ViewPressRelease&Content_id=766) is a letter from McCain that explains his position, and this (http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2003-10-24-cabe-costs_x.htm) is a USA Today story on the broader issue.

What we need is for customers nationwide to be able to select the cable channels that they want from a menu, with a fee per channel of, say, $5. Cable companies actually could make more money on such a plan.

Cool. Now maybe we can get Soapnet on the Comcast Digital package.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2003, 08:37 PM
That satellite package is only on Direct TV, Dish Network is not able to show that and my comments were based on the impression that I got from the thread starter who was talking or referring to cable TV, not satellite.

Lip