PDA

View Full Version : Worst Case Scenario

Hondo
12-02-2003, 04:06 PM
I don't mean to sound melodramatic but I wasn't sure how to title this thread:

Imagine for a minute the Sox are gone. No this isn't a speculative thread as to if they were to move where they would/should go or the validity of said move.

The question is who would you root for if you didn't have the sox to root for? I was thinking about this today and had it down to SF, LA, and St. Louis.

I'm not sure about LA because they moved from Brooklyn, betraying a dwindiling but loyal group of fans. Same goes for SF.

So go ahead who would you root for? And do you have any objections/arguements as to my final 3?

I apologize if this sort of thread has appeared. I did a search and didn't see one.

idseer
12-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Hondo

Imagine for a minute the Sox are gone. No this isn't a speculative thread as to if they were to move where they would/should go or the validity of said move.

The question is who would you root for if you didn't have the sox to root for? I was thinking about this today and had it down to SF, LA, and St. Louis.

I'm not sure about LA because they moved from Brooklyn, betraying a dwindiling but loyal group of fans. Same goes for SF.

So go ahead who would you root for? And do you have any objections/arguements as to my final 3?

I apologize if this sort of thread has appeared. I did a search and didn't see one.

i think this was covered a couple months back.

as for me i would simply drop away from being much of a fan period.

PaulDrake
12-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think this was covered a couple months back.

as for me i would simply drop away from being much of a fan period. My sentiments exactly.

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Who ever was playing the Cubs of course!

chuckn98229
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
I guess I would trade-in my Washington State WHT SOX license plate for a generic one, learn how to clap in unison at Safeco Field and become a Seattle Marinaters fan. It would never be the same, though.

Chisox353014
12-02-2003, 04:32 PM
It's pretty simple. If the Sox ever moved, their last game in Chicago would be the last MLB game i'd ever watch. Baseball simply wouldn't exist any more for me.

Hokiesox
12-02-2003, 04:36 PM
I'd probably bring myself to watch games at Camden Yards (only 15 minutes from my house), but would have a hard time rooting for them unless they brought Earl back to manage, Thus, I wouldn't be a fan of any team since that will never happen.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
It's pretty simple. If the Sox ever moved, their last game in Chicago would be the last MLB game i'd ever watch. Baseball simply wouldn't exist any more for me.

I feel the exact same way.

Dub25
12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Could not be said any better.

TheRockinMT
12-02-2003, 04:46 PM
I will always be a baseball fan. Since 1959 I have been a White Sox baseball fan, but if they ever terminated their organizational status I would still follow baseball. I just wouldn't have a rabid favorite team like I do with the Chisox.

kittle42
12-02-2003, 05:21 PM
I would still be a baseball fan with no affiliation, much like I am with the NFL.

thecell
12-02-2003, 05:34 PM
I'd root for the Brewers

Eddie Gaedel
12-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by thecell
I'd root for the Brewers

i'll second that. i used to say if the sox got rid of ventura i'd become a brewers fan. only in jest, of course.

Hondo
12-02-2003, 05:56 PM
See I can't go for the Brewers because I hated them so much when they were in the AL.

I don't like many things Wisconsin. They do have a lot of hotties up there though.

Corkinator
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
I live in Tampa, so I would watch the Devil Rays. I'll stop short of saying I would be a fan. After all, how could I ever be a fan of a team that refuses to spend the money required to be competitive. Wait...never mind.

CubKilla
12-02-2003, 11:46 PM
St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis' fans hate the sCrUBS as much as I do.

SpringfldFan
12-03-2003, 01:23 PM
I honestly do not know what I would do. I suppose it would hinge on the loyalty question as it applies to the Sox and the people of Chicago. If I look at the Chicago media and the overall fan base of the city, I might be able to conclude that the Sox deserve better then a city that shuns them. In such a case, I would remain a fan of them, wherever they go. However, if their lack of popularity is of their own doing (such as by not really committing to winning), then I would conclude that their moving is an abandonment of the fans and I could not remain a fan. I honestly don't know now which way I would go if it happened. Of course I live downstate, so I don't have quite as much to lose if they left Chicago.

miker
12-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Hondo

The question is who would you root for if you didn't have the sox to root for?

It's questions like this that question my loyalties in the first place:
I still pull for our Sox because it is one the things that ties me to my father.

I despise the Chicago National League Ball Club for the reasons that all true Sox fans do. I find myself rooting for the Cardinals, also for that reason.

I still follow the Blackhawks, because I like hockey. Organizationally, its the Reinsdorf-era Sox on ice. JR and Wirtz could write a book on the sadomasochistic relationship between sports teams, their owners and their fans.

I follow the Wolves because I like hockey and the organization wants to, and does, win!

I admit I followed the crowd during the Bulls' championship run and Jordan era. Otherwise, I'm not a big basketball fan.

I have no idea why I keep following the Bears. Maybe we can add McCaskey to my earlier Reinsdorf-Wirtz comment?

My dad grew up a Chicago Cardinals fan. Every time they play the Bears, I can tell he still resents the way they left town and have been forgotten. I'm sure I would react to a Sox move/fold the same way.

DannyCaterFan
12-03-2003, 03:13 PM
I guess i would be in for more pain and suffering if the Sox left town. I would be a fan of the Sox wherever they moved to.

StepsInSC
12-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Prolly the Braves, just cuz they're my local team.