PDA

View Full Version : LaTroy Hawkins

Mammoo
12-02-2003, 02:00 PM
I heard the report where the Cubs have made an offer to LH.

God, I hope he takes it; the Sox can not touch that guy!!!

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 02:02 PM
I think I'd rather see him in a Padre's Uniform or any other NL team besides the Cubs though

MetalliSox
12-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I heard the report where the Cubs have made an offer to LH.

God, I hope he takes it; the Sox can not touch that guy!!!

Cubs must be bidding on the wrong guy, because Hawkins is a RH.

Suckers!

Foulke You
12-02-2003, 02:30 PM
(sigh) I really wanted KW to go after Hawkins. I felt he should have been a top priority especially if a top flight starter on par with Colon isn't going to be signed. Yes, it will be nice to only face him 6 times a year instead of 19 but that microscopic E.R.A. would have looked nice in tandem with Damaso Marte. Not to mention the fact that he will be helping our arch enemies 8 miles to the north. :(:

anewman35
12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
(sigh) I really wanted KW to go after Hawkins. I felt he should have been a top priority especially if a top flight starter on par with Colon isn't going to be signed. Yes, it will be nice to only face him 6 times a year instead of 19 but that microscopic E.R.A. would have looked nice in tandem with Damaso Marte. Not to mention the fact that he will be helping our arch enemies 8 miles to the north. :(:

Well, the Cubs made an offer, that doesn't mean he'll accept it. Don't always assume the worst.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Good news that he might leave the Twins but not so good that he might go the the Flubs.

Its like taking a step forward and then taking two back.

But who knows what can happen, he might leave the Twins and join some other NL Central team.

That would be two good things.

dan
12-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Latroy Hawkins is a huge loser! Unless he is cuddled in middle relief his numbers are really awful. He hasn't really had a lot of results outside of 2000 and '03. If any team signs him to close, they'll be in for a long year.

Foulke You
12-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by dan
Latroy Hawkins is a huge loser! Unless he is cuddled in middle relief his numbers are really awful. He hasn't really had a lot of results outside of 2000 and '03. If any team signs him to close, they'll be in for a long year.

I don't think anyone is looking to make him their closer. I'm also not sure how you can make the assumption that the guy is a "loser". Hawkins is one of the best setup men in the AL along with our own Damaso Marte. Hawkins has a microscopic E.R.A. and throws in the mid 90s with movement which is downright filthy. He also averaged nearly a strikeout an inning and walks practically nobody. Check out the stats, they don't lie:

2002 6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 80.1 IP 15BB 63K
2003 9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 77.1 IP 15BB 75K

Any way you slice it, Latroy helps his team win and he has gotten results the last two years. Hawkins and Marte in the same bullpen would shorten a lot of games for the Sox into 7 inning affairs which would take a lot of pressure off of the Garlands and Wrights of our rotation. KW should be all over him to replace Tom Gordon in the pen but alas, he appears to be Flubbie bound. :(:

savafan
12-02-2003, 06:49 PM
LaTroy Hawkins - R - Minnesota Twins Dec 2

The Cubs have offered free agent LaTroy Hawkins a three-year contract.
It's hoped that he'll accept the deal soon, but if he decides to head elsewhere, Braden Looper, who is expected to be non-tendered, might become their top choice to set up and eventually compete with Joe Borowkski for closing duties. The Cubs are also trying to add a lefty and are showing interest in Ricardo Rincon and Gabe White. Source: Chicago Sun-Times

savafan
12-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Published December 3, 2003 HAWK03

Former Twins reliever LaTroy Hawkins has agreed to terms with the Chicago Cubs on what is believed to be a three-year contract worth $11 million.

Hawkins has yet to pass a physical, so none of the principals in the deal were willing to speak of the deal Tuesday.

The move means the Twins will target their other key free agents -- closer Eddie Guardado and outfielder Shannon Stewart. They will need to trade either pitcher Eric Milton or outfielder Jacque Jones to make room on their payroll for Guardado and/or Stewart.

Hawkins made $3 million last year with the Twins, and the team was hoping he would hold off on signing a contract until they were able to negotiate with him.

Jim Souhan is at jsouhan@startribune.com.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4245299.html

34 Inch Stick
12-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Forget that. You have to remember your hierarchy of baseball needs. As the trashy song says its 1) the Go Go White Sox and 2) whoever plays the Cubs. The Twins are MUCH worse because of this move. That helps the Sox and that is good.

Cub hating is a hobby, the Sox are a passion.