PDA

View Full Version : How about we have a 1st Annual Unofficial WSI Holiday Party?

Hangar18
12-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Breaks up the offseason, and another chance to hang out with everyone. Im thinking either Friday or Saturday December 19th or 20th. We could do it at a SouthSide establishment like say
Puffers at 33rd & Halsted. Anyone Game?

voodoochile
12-02-2003, 12:57 PM
I'd do the 19th, but the 20th will be tough.

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 12:58 PM
why not sometime durring sox fest? My December is pretty full already?

Hangar18
12-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
why not sometime durring sox fest? My December is pretty full already?

We ALREADY do that during SOXFEST, after it closes, everyone
goes up to the Atrium Bar and we drink and commisserate.
Im looking forward to that too actually. The Saturday nite of
SoxFest was rockin'. I remember Bill Melton hanging out with
us and drinking a couple .....

FarmerAndy
12-02-2003, 02:14 PM
I'd be up for the 19th or 20th. Just say when and where.

Jerko
12-02-2003, 02:17 PM
20th is probably better, but should we wait till after Christmas? I have about 4 parties a week to go to starting next Wednesday and we might get more people if we wait. One party is actually at the CELL in the Stadium Club. I can get depressed all over again!

Kilroy
12-02-2003, 02:30 PM
I'd probably do this, but I'm worried Idseer will punch me out after the Notre Dame thread in the parking lot!

:)

Jerko
12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Just remind me not to wear my BC, USC, or Michigan jersey.

voodoochile
12-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I'd probably do this, but I'm worried Idseer will punch me out after the Notre Dame thread in the parking lot!

He lives hundreds of miles away and has a family, so I doubt you have much to worry about...

Kilroy
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He lives hundreds of miles away and has a family, so I doubt you have much to worry about...

Did I really have to put that in teal for it to come off as a joke?

voodoochile
12-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Did I really have to put that in teal for it to come off as a joke?

Did I really have to add the smilie to imply I understood it as such?

Jerko
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
If you guys are gonna be this snippy at the party remind me to bring lumps of coal.

thepaulbowski
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
There should be no whiskey served at this party, things could get ugly :D:

thepaulbowski
12-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

Oh yeah, and since I live just down the street from Puffers I could go whenever. I've never met anyone here, so it would cool to do so.

idseer
12-02-2003, 03:01 PM

well, that depends. how big are you? :smile:

i don't get mad online kilroy. we just be talkin'.

and voodoo is right. i'm too far away for such get togethers, tho it'd be pretty cool to manage one of them some time. i was just in nw indiana for thanksgiving but i'm there so seldom i usually only have time for family stuff. i've haven't even seen the new park yet. :o:

so down one for me fellas! :gulp:

34 Inch Stick
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM

With this group the party will be ugly before anyone takes a drink.

bestkosher
12-02-2003, 03:20 PM
how about the party at connie pizza

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Any way we can get the MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE beer vendor to bartend and the Little old Asian Hot Dog vendor to Waitress... they are two of my favorite "NON-NACHO" Vendors

Realist
12-02-2003, 04:54 PM

No Jameson, no Realist. :(:

Then again... slivovitz would be a nice second alternative. That's what the Serbs drink and they seem to be a pretty mellow lot. :D:

Realist
12-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Any way we can get the MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE beer vendor to bartend and the Little old Asian Hot Dog vendor to Waitress... they are two of my favorite "NON-NACHO" Vendors

I think I still have the Miller "Gahd bless ya" Lite guy's business card with his email address on it. I'll look through my endless piles of crap and see if I can find it.

Hangar18
12-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I think I still have the Miller "Gahd bless ya" Lite guy's business card with his email address on it. I'll look through my endless piles of crap and see if I can find it.

What an EXCELLENT IDEA !!! Do invite the guy, I have a 60%cubfan/40% sox fan friend who Loves the Guy! man, he'd come to this just to meet this guy. OKAY.....judging by the Excitement being Generated by this, Im going on a Limb here
and Saying WE SHALL HAVE THIS PARTY ON FRI DEC. 19th 7pm til ???? at Puffers 3356 S Halsted. Agreed? I'll work on some kind of Decorations and such and talk to the Good Folks over there. Umm what else? Think thats it. Having this at Connies Pizza was a good idea too, the parking would be good,
but theres No Real place to sit in there ......
So PUFFERS IT IS. Wilkes will dress as an ELF, and do some kind of Giveaway, I'll think of that as we get Closer .... I'll get LuvSox56 To dress as an Elfette too

TELL YOUR SOX FAN FRIENDS and spread the word ..........

thepaulbowski
12-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What an EXCELLENT IDEA !!! Do invite the guy, I have a 60%cubfan/40% sox fan friend who Loves the Guy! man, he'd come to this just to meet this guy. OKAY.....judging by the Excitement being Generated by this, Im going on a Limb here
and Saying WE SHALL HAVE THIS PARTY ON FRI DEC. 19th 7pm til ???? at Puffers 3356 S Halsted. Agreed? I'll work on some kind of Decorations and such and talk to the Good Folks over there. Umm what else? Think thats it. Having this at Connies Pizza was a good idea too, the parking would be good,
but theres No Real place to sit in there ......
So PUFFERS IT IS. Wilkes will dress as an ELF, and do some kind of Giveaway, I'll think of that as we get Closer .... I'll get LuvSox56 To dress as an Elfette too

Once we get there we should think about ordering some Phil's Pizza. Goes real well with the beer. :gulp:

Hangar18
12-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Once we get there we should think about ordering some Phil's Pizza. Goes real well with the beer. :gulp:

Phils?? heh heh, I like Ricobenes Myself way better.
OK fellas lets do this. Official Dress Code should be something
SOX related of course. Fri Dec 19th. 7pm on ....
Got that Wilkes? Farmer? Dr Cradwad? Voodoo?

ewokpelts
12-02-2003, 05:22 PM
whaddya mean there's no where to sit at connies? it's a huge frekin restaurant....unless you guys wanna smoke...THAT may be the problem......i dont...and thier non-smoking room is pretty big....
Gene

p.s. wasnt puffers one of the bars that went blue in october?

soxnut
12-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey, if Dan crabass McNeil were here he'd say "You can't call it the "1st Annual", it's Inaugural...blah....blah....blah...blah". I say whatever, sounds cool to me. :smile:

hose
12-02-2003, 06:38 PM

You got it coming :D:

Daver
12-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Arrange to have it at dawn in the Des Plaines Wildlife Conservation Area and I might attend.I'm not supplying shotguns for everyone though,bring your own.

:redneck

whitesoxwilkes
12-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Wilkes will dress as an ELF, and do some kind of Giveaway, I'll think of that as we get Closer .... I'll get LuvSox56 To dress as an Elfette too

I've got a work party that night, be sure and guzzle a few for me. :gulp:

CubKilla
12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts

Not officially. But, they were out of the pro-Cubbie closet.

thepaulbowski
12-03-2003, 07:10 AM

I thought that was Jimbo's.

Jerko
12-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Damn I have to bowl that night. I guess I could come for a few beers since I've never bowled sober anyway.

bestkosher
12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
good cheap food, good location,

Hangar18
12-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I've got a work party that night, be sure and guzzle a few for me. :gulp:

Thats No Excuse. Attendance is Mandatory. Even if its fashionably late. :smile:

ewokpelts
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
good cheap food, good location,

lots of street parking, and they didnt go blue in october......

Gene

Hangar18
12-03-2003, 12:08 PM
lots of street parking, and they didnt go blue in october......

Gene

Hmmm. are people finding the "going blue" thing offensive?
I have a Great Idea for an Alternate Location, Downtown Chicago, plenty of Parking, right in Greektown.

Dugans, a little Irish Pub, with a big backroom and PoolTables for me to beat everyone shooting some stick.
Dugans is across the street from the Walgreens, Monroe and Halsted. Is this better ????

34 Inch Stick
12-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Hey, if Dan crabass McNeil were here he'd say "You can't call it the "1st Annual", it's Inaugural...blah....blah....blah...blah". I say whatever, sounds cool to me. :smile:

Of course he would be incorrect. Inugural and annual are not mutually exclusive. It is the inaugural in that it is the first party of its kind. It is however, also annual, in that the intent is to make it a once a year event (as opposed to daily, weekly, monthly, biannually etc.).

Dan is a self professed English dic k. However he is often incorrect in his corrections. It's difficult to take lessons from white trash (even though I have always liked his show). To quote one of his favorite movies "A man has to know his limitations."

whitesoxwilkes
12-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Hmmm. are people finding the "going blue" thing offensive?
I have a Great Idea for an Alternate Location, Downtown Chicago, plenty of Parking, right in Greektown.

Dugans, a little Irish Pub, with a big backroom and PoolTables for me to beat everyone shooting some stick.
Dugans is across the street from the Walgreens, Monroe and Halsted. Is this better ????

That would work for me, since I won't have to schlep all the way to the Southside after drinking most of the night with work peeps.

steff
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
I thought that was Jimbo's.

Ahhhh.. no.

And I doubt Jim and I can make it to this as well. Too much going on in December.

Brian26
12-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Dan is a self professed English dic k. However he is often incorrect in his corrections. It's difficult to take lessons from white trash (even though I have always liked his show). To quote one of his favorite movies "A man has to know his limitations."

Exactly. McNeil has a high school education from Indiana, which is equivalent to about a 6th grade education in the Chicago Public School system. Know your roots. The guy's also a graduate of the Coppock boyquarium, which gives him instant credibility.

34 Inch Stick
12-03-2003, 01:39 PM
He almost graduated from Ball State but the point is well taken.

I remember when Coppock used to give him some air time late in the show on Fridays for Friday Night Fights. I liked him then and I like him now.

maurice
12-03-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
That would work for me, since I won't have to schlep all the way to the Southside after drinking most of the night with work peeps.

Feh! They're both decent bars, but it's a schlepping difference of four miles, which is only about twelve minutes on the #8 bus. Doesn't anybody (particularly the seriously inebriated) take the big green limousine any more?

Jerko
12-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Maybe we should make sure both places are "free" that night! Might there already be a party at Dugans? Puffers may be easier just to physically get into if there's a nice turnout.

HITMEN OF 77
12-03-2003, 04:41 PM
I like the idea of having it at Soxfest, but I understand that would be a post Christmas party and you shouldn't make your decision based on one guy from Washington State. It would make it nice for those of us who can't make it back for the 12-20 or 12-21 party (it's that 2100 mile drive that bothers me in the snow) to do something at Soxfest (I hope to be there).

HITMEN OF 77
12-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Forgot to ask this. Anyone got any old Helmet Lamps, trash cans or thermo mugs they want to sell (White Sox)? Looking for some for my Christmas presents. Let me know. Hitmenof77@aol.com

voodoochile
12-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Why don't you have two parties. One for people who want to and can make it on the 19th (Just tell me what time and where and I will be there).

Then have one at Soxfest too.

Heck we can have a belated NYE party somewhere for a playoff football Sunday in January - we can watch another wanny led team choke dramatically in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Then have one in March to watch a pre-season game and pretty soon, the season is upon us...

Brian26
12-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He almost graduated from Ball State but the point is well taken.

I remember when Coppock used to give him some air time late in the show on Fridays for Friday Night Fights. I liked him then and I like him now.

I must admit I used to enjoy the Friday Night Fights too. That segmnet was classic, along with Chet interviewing Macho Man Savage before the next Horizon show.

Palehose13
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
I would like to come and put some faces to the names. I'll need to drink being that is the first day of winter break for me! I would have to crash on the northside though :(

Hondo
12-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Count me in. I'd like to meet some of you guys.

It's definitely better for me if it's at Puffers. I'll be in town that weekend and staying near there.

Jerko
12-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Any finalized info yet?

Hangar18
12-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Any finalized info yet?

Funny you should ask that, Good Timing Jerko.
Im in discussions with a local Pizza Place, to "donate" some
Pizzas for our little Get-Together ...... I'll keep everyone
Posted. Also trying to work a Beer Special for Us .........
Meeting at Puffers VS. Dugans is definitely a Draw.
PUFFERS is only 10 MINUTES DUE SOUTH of Greektown/Downtown, so its not a bad Location for us this
time Around ........

joeynach
12-08-2003, 02:34 PM
We should definatley stay on the south side. May i suggest two places. One is where our friends mac jurko and harry go on fridays, 112 Burbon Street in Marionette Park and the other is Buds in Tinley Park on Harlem. Im down in Flossmoor so either is good.

steff
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
We should definatley stay on the south side. May i suggest two places. One is where our friends mac jurko and harry go on fridays, 112 Burbon Street in Marionette Park and the other is Buds in Tinley Park on Harlem. Im down in Flossmoor so either is good.

Those are waaaaayyy too far south for Henry

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by steff
Those are waaaaayyy too far south for Henry

Not too far south for me though. Me and Guido always head to Bud's for the cornucopia of quality suds available.

ewokpelts
12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
That way....we can act like we're choking the entire time....
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
12-08-2003, 05:50 PM
As long as they have Meister Brau it doesn't matter to me.... :gulp:

Jerko
12-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Let me know if it's still between Puffers and Dugans. Those are probably the only 2 places I can make it, in that order.

Hangar18
12-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Let me know if it's still between Puffers and Dugans. Those are probably the only 2 places I can make it, in that order.

Puffers is the Choice........12 19 03. Tell your friends

joeynach
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Puffers is the Choice........12 19 03. Tell your friends

Not good timing some of us dont get home from college until then or right after. Like me. Change the date.

Hangar18
12-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Not good timing some of us dont get home from college until then or right after. Like me. Change the date.

This party really cant be Changed because its only a couple Days Before Xmas. If theres a Rousing Sentiment to having this
on Saturday 12/20, that can be done, but Ive GOT TO KNOW
QUICKLY if thats the case........Theres planning to be done you know? Leave College EARLY and make this party......Attendance Is Mandatory. Wilkes will be making a Campaign Stop too ....... :smile:

steff
12-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Wilkes will be making a Campaign Stop too ....... :smile:

I don't think so....

Hangar18
12-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by steff
I don't think so....

It was a "hint". trying to make him feel guilty if he doesnt
make it :smile: