PDA

View Full Version : MLB Winter Meetings

Mammoo
12-02-2003, 01:30 PM
KW has certainly kept a low profile since the Ozzie hiring. I have a hunch he'll be active at the MLBWM in New Orleans next weekend.

fledgedrallycap
12-02-2003, 01:34 PM
That is where some serious conversations can be hammered out face-to-face. Now that some big name free agents are starting to sign with more to come soon, we'll start seeing the market benchmark and the ball should get rolling....

TheRockinMT
12-02-2003, 01:37 PM
I find it very frustrating during the off season to see so little news from the White Sox front office, news sources, etc, and so much from the Yanks and Bosox, et al. We need news of what's happening so we can continue to function during the winter months and while waiting for hope to spring eternal again in February/March.

It is not a good sight to see the Sox free agents, who were deemed so valuable by KW, leaving to other teams. Maybe we will have some activity in a couple weeks at the winter meetings in New Orleans. I certainly hope so and with a supposed limited amount of money to spend trades might be the way we upgrade.

kittle42
12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Don't worry, nothing will happen in baseball until after December 7.

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 02:33 PM
"general manager Ed Wade told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "They had to balance what we were offering against what Boston was offering, and do what's best for them. That's what trades are all about." The Phillies' focus continues to be on retaining Kevin Millwood, who is mulling a three-year, $20 million offer with a vesting option for a fourth year."

HMMMMMMMMM... Wasn't this guy asking for 10-12 Million per year a few weeks ago, and now BORAS is mulling a Sub Seven million dollar contract? Maybe Bartolo, should have taken our first offer! Maybe we can get Ponson for 1.5 million next year...

thecell
12-02-2003, 02:45 PM
When do the winter meetings start?

Mammoo
12-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by thecell
When do the winter meetings start?

December 12-15

34 Inch Stick
12-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
"general manager Ed Wade told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "They had to balance what we were offering against what Boston was offering, and do what's best for them. That's what trades are all about." The Phillies' focus continues to be on retaining Kevin Millwood, who is mulling a three-year, $20 million offer with a vesting option for a fourth year."

HMMMMMMMMM... Wasn't this guy asking for 10-12 Million per year a few weeks ago, and now BORAS is mulling a Sub Seven million dollar contract? Maybe Bartolo, should have taken our first offer! Maybe we can get Ponson for 1.5 million next year...

That has to be a typo right? If Millwood is considering just under 7 and Escobar was right around 5 doesn't that put Ponson at under 6 and Colon at about 8 (same as last year). Give me two at that price.

Tekijawa
12-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
That has to be a typo right? If Millwood is considering just under 7 and Escobar was right around 5 doesn't that put Ponson at under 6 and Colon at about 8 (same as last year). Give me two at that price.

That's what the hot stove said:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031201&content_id=610225&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I'd take Colon and Ponson for a total of $14 Mil, and you could sign me up for those Season Tickets that I said I wouldn't buy, if we brought Colon and another Pitcher in!

kempsted
12-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I find it very frustrating during the off season to see so little news from the White Sox front office, news sources, etc, and so much from the Yanks and Bosox, et al. We need news of what's happening so we can continue to function during the winter months and while waiting for hope to spring eternal again in February/March.

It is not a good sight to see the Sox free agents, who were deemed so valuable by KW, leaving to other teams. Maybe we will have some activity in a couple weeks at the winter meetings in New Orleans. I certainly hope so and with a supposed limited amount of money to spend trades might be the way we upgrade.
I suppose it is frustrating but very few teams have made moves. I actually like the fact that KW plays it so close to his chest. The Cubs telegraph everything and you hear about every possible trade/signing long before it happens and usually it doesn't happen. KW on the other hand does everything behind the s. and we don't see it coming. How many people saw the Colon deal coming? KW will do something before spring roles around.

ChiSoxBobette
12-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
KW has certainly kept a low profile since the Ozzie hiring. I have a hunch he'll be active at the MLBWM in New Orleans next weekend.

Yeah he's going to trade Maggs for another couple of Jaun Uribe's