PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Frank

24thStFan
12-01-2003, 03:04 PM
This from the sportsline.com White Sox team report:

"The Sox have still not confirmed that Ozzie Guillen has been able to talk with slugger Frank Thomas since Guillen was named the Sox's 37th manager in franchise history. Guillen called Thomas out in that first press conference after he was given the job, stating that Thomas needed to play his way or would sit."

Anyone here know anything more about this situation? I heard that Ozzie and Frank were supposed to meet in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. What happened?

Rocky Soprano
12-01-2003, 03:07 PM
I really hope that they did sit down and have a talk.

I would hate to see them arguing all next year.

Tekijawa
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I thought Ozzie wanted Frank to play his way? I think Frank is going to put together a press conference and Rip Ozzie Publicly before even speaking to old number 13, after all that is the way Ozzie does things.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Ozzie pretty much declared his first big challenge would be to get Frank to play like the VIP Frank of '93 again. If they still haven't spoken it's not the end of the world...

...but it might be the beginning of trouble...

Still, give it time. We all go batty during the off-season, which is why the off-season sucks.

Palehose13
12-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I thought Ozzie wanted Frank to play his way? I think Frank is going to put together a press conference and Rip Ozzie Publicly before even speaking to old number 13, after all that is the way Ozzie does things.

Don't you think Ozzie was baited by the press to speak about Frank? They asked him directly about Frank...he didn't just mention Frank for the hell of it.

flo-B-flo
12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
20/20 Oz should have raked Frank in private. When they were teammates it was OK when he ripped him publicly. Whether he was baited it doesn't matter. Frank at least deserves the respect of not being singled out at the first press conference of the new manager. Oz has got some 'splaining to do to Frank.

duke of dorwood
12-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Welcome 24th St Fan.

He should have said nothing. If a guy with 40 HR is our biggest problem, we ought to cruise next year

duke of dorwood
12-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Also, the longer this festers. the worse it will be to deal with. Ozzie started it and should do whatever it takes to see it gets in the press that it has been dealt with.

Palehose13
12-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Also, the longer this festers. the worse it will be to deal with. Ozzie started it and should do whatever it takes to see it gets in the press that it has been dealt with.

Do you think the press cares? They were salivating about an "Ozzie vs. Frank" battle before he was even hired. The way that the press misquotes, cuts off quotes, and misrepresents Franks Thomas and other White Sox members I highly doubt that they want to report about peace in the Sox clubhouse.

Just my thoughts and btw since Frank hasn't said anything yet, I think this is a non-issue.

LASOXFAN
12-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Ozzie's an ass. He shot off his piehole when he left the Sox and he shoots it off as soon as he gets back.

His hiring heralds the demise of Kenny Williams as GM.

What a (VC edit: NO, you can't use Spanish swear words either).

Frank the Tank
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
I really don't think this Frank/Ozzie issue is that big of a deal. If Frank was really upset at Ozzie's remarks, he would have said something stupid in the papers by now.

24thStFan
12-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I haven't missed any reports of Ozzie and Frank siting down to work this thing out like grown-ups yet. I hope that they can talk this over before it becomes a distraction.

Like some of you have said, I think Ozzie owes Frank an explanation, even if he was "baited" into making his comments. Frank has been one of our most productive players for many years. If Ozzie wants to manage effectively in the big leagues, he will have to learn how to handle the press better.