PDA

View Full Version : Why Schilling went to Boston

sox3
12-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Saw this on ESPN.com:

"BOSTON -- Curt Schilling epitomizes the kind of player Red Sox owner John Henry wants to see in a Boston uniform.

In an e-mail to reporters Sunday evening, Henry praised Schilling's conduct during negotiations and the pitcher's charity work.

He also said the quality of Red Sox fans was "a major reason Curt Schilling decided to complete his career in Boston."

So now we know why the Sox can't sign pitchers like Schilling...

soxfan26
12-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sox3
So now we know why the Sox can't sign pitchers like Schilling...

I for one am glad that KW did not go after Curt Schilling. First off let me say that guys like Schiling are hard to come by, and I respect him.

But in the last 5 years he has started an average of 29.4 games. So Epstien went out and spent a reported $25.5M of the Red Sox money to bring in a 37 year old pitcher whose durability is questionable.

He is going to be #2 on that staff behind a pitcher with a durability problem. Pedro has only started an average of 27 games over the last 5 years.

So for 56.4 games, the Red Sox will pay $29.5M. Now these will no doubt be superbly pitched games. I also heard that Schilling offered to defer some money to make sure that the Red Sox would always be competitive.

I still say this was a questionable move, and could very easily backfire on the Red Sox.

I also don't think you can compare the offseason moves of the Red and White Sox. The fact is they are two teams in very different places.

The Red Sox made a wrong turn and barely missed the world series. The White Sox just didn't know how to read the map and quit. Sorry for the length.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Good luck to Schilling. He's about to discover how a streak of lousy team luck and the mythologization of a curse can turn a sports franchise and its followers into a pack of fatalistic lunatics. It's one thing to be pissed off at ownership or management for not winning a World Series, but Bostonians uniquely believe they are doomed. Not only that, but for many of them losing is the only thing they want. Only the team owner would credit the "quality" of his team's fans. They are an insatiable lynch mob. This year's main course was Grady Little. If Schilling is a bust, he's next.

soxtalker
12-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Another view from the SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/01/SPGMU3DAFV1.DTL)

They point out that a critical factor may have been the animosity that Colangelo feels for Steinbrenner. (Remember when David Wells broke a handshake agreement with AZ to go to the Yankees?)

Gumshoe
12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Good posts. Seriously, when taking into account the size of his contract ... Schilling's arm is a walking time bomb. They're asking for it. Sometimes you do have to take risks, but I don't agree with this one ...

Gumshoe

PaulDrake
12-01-2003, 01:33 PM
A Cub vs Red Sox World Series "way too cool." I think "way too putrid" is more like it.

Jjav829
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Schilling said that on one of the nights leading up to the deadline he was surfing the net and came across a Red Sox chat room. He said that he spent the next three hours chatting with Red Sox fans, and by the time he was done he knew they were great fans. So it really wasn't just the owner making stuff up. I would have liked to have seen Schilling here. Hes one of my favorite players and unlike many athletes, hes a bright guy. But he never would have come here, and we couldn't afford him anyways. I hope he does well in Boston.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Schilling said that on one of the nights leading up to the deadline he was surfing the net and came across a Red Sox chat room. He said that he spent the next three hours chatting with Red Sox fans, and by the time he was done he knew they were great fans.

...so said the spiders to the fly...

savafan
12-01-2003, 09:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2003/1201/photo/cs_blocl.jpg