PDA

View Full Version : Sexson deal complete on Monday

MHOUSE
11-30-2003, 03:06 PM
According to ESPN.com, after Schilling takes a physical with the Red Sox on Monday and thus completes their trade, then Arizona will have this de la Rosa pitcher on their roster and be able to deal him to Milwaukee.

D-Backs get: Sexson

Brewers get: Counsell, Overbay, and De La Rosa

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1674507)

santo=dorf
11-30-2003, 03:15 PM
So Peter Gammons was wrong all week about this being a three team trade that also involved the Red Sox?!?!? NO WAY!

voodoochile
11-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
So Peter Gammons was wrong all week about this being a three team trade that also involved the Red Sox?!?!? NO WAY!

No actually, that is exactly what this is. This is the end of the Schilling trade...

santo=dorf
11-30-2003, 03:24 PM
I thought all of the pitchers the Blosox sent to Arizona were supposed to go to the Brewers.

voodoochile
11-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I thought all of the pitchers the Blosox sent to Arizona were supposed to go to the Brewers.

Did you actually finish reading the first post in this thread? Isn't that what is going to happen?

santo=dorf
11-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Did you actually finish reading the first post in this thread? Isn't that what is going to happen?

Peter Gammons originally reported that the Brewers would get Fossum, Lyon, and two minor leaguers, D-Backs get Sexson, Blosox get Schilling. All of this was going to be done in one transaction. This is the first time I heard of Counsell and Overbay being traded. Aren't Fossum and Lyon on the D'backs now? Not the Brewers?

voodoochile
11-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Peter Gammons originally reported that the Brewers would get Fossum, Lyon, and two minor leaguers, D-Backs get Sexson, Blosox get Schilling. All of this was going to be done in one transaction. This is the first time I heard of Counsell and Overbay being traded. Aren't Fossum and Lyon on the D'backs now? Not the Brewers?

Oh,so the details are different. Still, the basics are the same. Schilling to the BoSox. Sexson to the DBacks and the Brewers get a bunch of kids.

I haven't been following what Gammons says...

MarkEdward
11-30-2003, 10:15 PM
Well, this is a bit better than the original deal. De La Rosa is a hard throwing lefty who can start but will probably pitch best as a reliever.

I'm surprised Atlanta wasn't after Sexson. If the Brewers would've been open to paying some of Sexson's salary, they couldn't have acquired a few of the many Braves' pitching prospects. If I'm not mistaken, the Brewers do need some pitchers in their system.

Foulke You
12-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Sexson deal is official. This snippet is from the Brewers official site:

MILWAUKEE BREWERS BASEBALL NEWS
December 1, 2003

BREWERS COMPLETE TRADE WITH ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

The Brewers on Monday acquired six players -- middle
infielders Craig Counsell and Junior Spivey, first baseman
Lyle Overbay, catcher Chad Moeller and left-handed pitchers
Chris Capuano and Jorge de la Rosa -- in exchange for first
baseman Richie Sexson, left-hander Shane Nance and a player
to be named later.

santo=dorf
12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Sexson deal is official. This snippet is from the Brewers official site:

MILWAUKEE BREWERS BASEBALL NEWS
December 1, 2003

BREWERS COMPLETE TRADE WITH ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

The Brewers on Monday acquired six players -- middle
infielders Craig Counsell and Junior Spivey, first baseman
Lyle Overbay, catcher Chad Moeller and left-handed pitchers
Chris Capuano and Jorge de la Rosa -- in exchange for first
baseman Richie Sexson, left-hander Shane Nance and a player
to be named later.

Is this from the same official Brewers website that was denying any reports about Sexson yesterday? Who are you trying to fool Selig?

brewcrew/chisox
12-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I'm surprised Atlanta wasn't after Sexson. If the Brewers would've been open to paying some of Sexson's salary,

err,

The Brewers aren't taking ANYONE"S salary right now...

it's dump time.

However, I'm not that disappointed with the trade. If Spivey can get healthy this year and get back to his 300 average, I'll be happy. In addition, they badly needed a Catcher and de la Rosa should be a nice hard throwing lefty.

However, the realist in me knows that the Seligs and the board of Morons will screw this trade up too. I'm just wondering if Jenkins is next or if they are going to sell him to the highest bidder as well. Ben Sheets anyone?

Will there be anything left when it's all over?

MHOUSE
12-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Wow that is a lot of players involved. Nine total?! I think it's a good enough deal for a Brewers salary dump.

They get a real catcher in Moeller, a decent veteran second baseman in Spivey, a young lefthanded first baseman, a good PR move with local boy Counsell who'll be good off the bench, and two minor league pitchers who are supposed to be decent prospects if not pretty good ones. They give up Nance who's an ok lefty reliever and a PTBNL along with losing Sexson's $8 million. Not too bad.

They fill a lot of holes. I hope this doesn't slow Ginter's progress. Maybe Melvin is looking for one of them (Spivey/Ginter) to play shortstop? I just hope the Brewers can do well and put people in the seats to not have to suffer with a $30 million payroll.

RichH55
12-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Wow that is a lot of players involved. Nine total?! I think it's a good enough deal for a Brewers salary dump.

They get a real catcher in Moeller, a decent veteran second baseman in Spivey, a young lefthanded first baseman, a good PR move with local boy Counsell who'll be good off the bench, and two minor league pitchers who are supposed to be decent prospects if not pretty good ones. They give up Nance who's an ok lefty reliever and a PTBNL along with losing Sexson's $8 million. Not too bad.

They fill a lot of holes. I hope this doesn't slow Ginter's progress. Maybe Melvin is looking for one of them (Spivey/Ginter) to play shortstop? I just hope the Brewers can do well and put people in the seats to not have to suffer with a $30 million payroll.

Just because a move is not as bad as originally reported...does not make it a good move

Local Boy Counsell makes something like 3.1 million, Josh Paul's local status didn't justify 300 K, I doubt Counsell's kiche(sic) will either

Spivey isnt bad, but he's superflous and the second the deal was done the talk began about dumping his salary

The 1B proved little, and doesn't project to do much either(Probably why the Dbacks wanted Sexson)

Sexson was also a popular player, so all the warm fuzzies for the local boy probably don't even even out

Weeks, one of their top prospects, is a 2B, so Spivey is even less essential, except as a stopgap on a terrible team...they couldn't find that cheaper?

The two minor leaguers are the only real thing of value here: The one has had Tommy John and is limited(probably a good bullpen guy if it works out), the guy from Boston(via Arizona) is actually pretty good

But for dealing Sexson, when you are willing to take on over 5 million in salary back(whats that a net savings of 3 million?) is terrible

To put it in perspective, they saved 1.5 million more than the Cards did when the Cards got rid of Tino Martinez, who is 1/30th the player that Sexson is at this point, though Milwaukee got one viable prospect back

itchy
12-02-2003, 11:46 AM
This trade looks bad for the Brewers, and more importantly demonstates a weak market for trading Magglio for legitimate help this year.