11-30-2003, 09:07 AM
......http://images.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/_photos/2003-11-26-inside-reed.jpg
Jeremy Reed slides into third base during
the Americas Baseball Pre-Olympic
tournament against Colombia.

Reed's two great halves add up

By Lisa Winston, USA TODAY Sports Weekly

Player of the Year Jeremy Reed, White Sox

It wouldn't have been difficult for our Minor League Player of the Year to fly below the radar this past season. Chicago White Sox outfield prospect Jeremy Reed, 22, so evenly split his summer between high-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham that he didn't land on either league's leader board, the spot that most casual fans check to find out who's hot...
LINK (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2003-11-27-minors_x.htm)

SluggersAway
11-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Get rid of Koch, Konerko, and Carlos Lee (maybe Mags or the Big Hurt instead of Lee, depending on...) for some high quality pitching, a couple of infield players and let Reed play in the outfield.

doublem23
11-30-2003, 05:57 PM
So how many former MLPOTY are there in the organization now? Reed, Rauch, Konerko, Thomas, Alomar... Am I missing any?

Daver
11-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I was unaware that Sandy Alomar won MLPOY.

Hangar18
12-01-2003, 09:30 AM
This makes me smile. I think he should wear no. 28.
That number works for him

mike squires
12-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Daver
I was unaware that Sandy Alomar won MLPOY.

Sandy actually did it twice. He won MLPOY in 88' and 89'.

xil357
12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Unless he royally sucks in spring training, I want Reed patrolling one of the outfield spots on Opening Day.

mike squires
12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
IMO, Reed needs more seasoning in the minors. He has almost zero experience in pro ball. Maybe he's one of those players that can make the jump into the majors but I'd hate to see him fail and shake his confidence.

Randar68
12-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
but I'd hate to see him fail and shake his confidence.

This is something that is very overplayed. Shake his confidence? No player ever goes through a career without hitting low points and struggling. Some people have the makeup or mental/emotional characteristics to handle it... others don't. It's what you do, how you work, how you react when you struggle that defines the difference between stars and flops.

Reed has the physical tools, no doubt. He's smart at the plate and has a "plan" when he get's there... something I'd say half of last years' Sox didn't have.

That said, there is no guarantee on anything. Whether he'll succeed out of the box, struggle and adjust, etc etc.

One thing I know for sure, he is the kind of player Ozzie will love, and I have a hard time believing he won't make the team unless he struggles mightily in ST or Kenny decides independently to send him to AAA first...

oheeoh...magglio
12-01-2003, 01:14 PM
I've been on the start Jeremy Reed on opening day bandwagon ever since the season ended, and I really hope he does get the chance to start. I think he has the skills to be a very good player in the majors even though he doesn't necesarily have a lot of experince in the high levels of the minor leagues. Anybody that can hit over .400 in double a for as long a period of time as Reed did and have as good of a year overall as Reed did obviously has major league talent IMO.

34 Inch Stick
12-01-2003, 02:03 PM
He should only be on the team if he can start. I just have a feeling Rowand is going to get another shot at the position.

Randar68
12-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He should only be on the team if he can start. I just have a feeling Rowand is going to get another shot at the position.

Nobody in their right mind would even consider him for the roster unless he was slated to be in the starting lineup a majority of the time...

Frank the Tank
12-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Naming Jeremy Reed the opening day starter in the majors might be asking too much from this kid. I would just like to see him get some innings next year.